TA Forums Game of the Week! (Mar 13th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Mar 15, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of March 13th?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2013.
  1. Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption

37.0%
  2. Super Stickman Golf 2

11.0%
  3. NightSky

5.5%
  4. Le Vamp

0.8%
  5. PWN: Combat Hacking

12.6%
  6. Galactic Conflict RTS

3.1%
  7. Stargate SG-1: Unleashed Ep 1

1.6%
  8. Danger Boat

0.8%
  9. Slamjet Stadium

0.8%
  10. Twin Swords

26.8%
  1. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I decided to ditch gaming on iPhone and stick with the iPad ( wish I had done it sooner ) far better gaming experience in my opinion :)

As for Twin Swords I didn't mean to bash the game or anything I haven't even tried it yet, I'm just saying it's a little weird :rolleyes:

2. ediwolframton

ediwolframton Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
    MidianGTX
    "Twin Swords looks awful."

Clearly you did not played the game, it is pretty nice actually.
    Its very cool to see a classic games like this made in 2013.

Dont get me wrong, i'm currently playing both twin swords and Ridiculous Fishing, and my vote will probably go with Ridiculous Fishing for this week, but I enjoy them both greatly.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You're right, I didn't play it. Before you play a game, you see the screenshots... and it looks awful.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #104 undeadcow, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    I'll be curious to see how EchoSeven will handle the Twin Swords fiasco; it's entirely possible suspect votes could get voided out consistent with the rules of the GOTW poll. There is some protection from shill voting; if the votes are not valid. Interestingly here Twin Swords seems to be getting a lot of votes from developers who normally don't participate in GOTW but are otherwise active in the TA community.

However, I'll probably avoid Twin Swords for now due to my perception that something is amiss that taints my view of the game as one that needs to resort to underhanded methods for advertising.

5. ediwolframton

Mar 15, 2013
    I guess its just a matter of taste, looking at the screenshots of ridiculous fishing, you see some pixelated fish and a boat, nothing much appealing..
    yet I find it very appealing! guess I just have a weakness to retro looks.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #106 syntheticvoid, Mar 20, 2013
    There's actually a LOT going on in the RF screens...

retro graphics
    loads of fish
    a hook full of many different types of fish
    fish scattered throughout the air with the fisherman holding a shotgun
    a screen showing the original radical fishing graphics compared to the updated ridiculous fishing graphics...

in short - it looks like a hectic high-score chasing retro arcade game... there's a lot going on, especially when compared to the mass of crap in the appstore.... which, unfortunately, Twin Swords screens look like...

When you've scanned the AppStore for years, you can pretty much look at a decent screen shot of a game, and get a general idea of what the gameplay is like... There have been a couple of games that didn't really capture their gameplay decently - but it's rare...

I'd write more detailing good screens vs bad screens - but I've gotta go to work, and don't have 20 minutes to explain it all...

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Me too, which is why I prefer RF's faux-pixel aesthetics to Twin Swords' vector graphics. Vector is anything but retro if you ask me (ignoring Vectrex for a moment), if anything it's the perfect example of modern day, relatively cheap web games.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #108 awp69, Mar 20, 2013
    I have no problem with pixel games or RF, but how dare you say vector graphics are not retro! :)

Some of my favorite games growing up in the '80s used vector - Tempest, Star Wars Arcade, Battlezone...

Anyway, also wanted to mention that I may pick up Le Vamp. Was getting burnt out on runners but this looks like fun even if it isn't getting any votes. Also, it didn't support the 3GS at release but now appears to.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey, I tried to cover my ass! You know what I mean though, Flash games look nothing like Tempest ;)

10. ediwolframton

Mar 15, 2013
    "Vector is anything but retro if you ask me"

Lol have you been drinking? if 2D vector is not retro I don't know what is, sure many games today have vector style graphics so the new generation of gamers might think its the "new" style, but believe me when I say (and I have many years on my back... unfortunately)
    Vector IS Retro,
    I don't know.. this game (twin swords) brings me back to the old days of gaming, and thats what I like about it, try look behind the screenshots maybe, you might find it surprisingly enjoyable.

We are a bit off topic here (sorry about that)..
    Cheers

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    This is retro, as I mentioned:

[​IMG]

This is not:

[​IMG]

12. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Tempest...!!!!!!!
    MidianGTX has just given me my retro vitamins for today

13. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Would 80's Tron be considered retro?

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    LeVamp for replayability on the long run

15. Tynan

Tynan Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Loved Ridiculous Fishing :) if even just for the look of the thing, really nice, but my vote has to go to Twin Swords, just brilliant, takes me back !!!!

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Haven't gotten it yet, but probably will. Glad to see someone finally voting for it since it seemed to have a lot of nominations and some good impressions in the main thread.

17. I voted for danger boat since no one else did. Actually it is the only game I played too. Normally would have voted for Ridiculous fishing. Been playing too much with my icade core. Bought 3 icade core games this week.

Strange contraversy about Twinswords this week. Almost all of them by developers. Seems like they maybe indeed be voting for Twin Swords to mock this process as some if you are suggesting. Guess the mods would know if that was indeed going on in the private developers forum though, so I dunno...

My icade core with Blazing Star. So much fun!

Attached Files:

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I dunno, that would be genuinely pathetic. People who make games trying to stop gamers from discussing games on a gaming forum sounds ridiculous.

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Glad RF is killing it. 47 people can't be wrong can they? ;)

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You've pretty much convinced me I need an icade