TA Forums Game of the Week! (Feb 27th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Mar 1, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of February 27th?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. Crazy Bill

16.1%
  2. Penumbear

19.2%
  3. Real Racing 3

10.9%
  4. King Cashing 2

18.1%
  5. Danmaku Unlimited 2 - Bullet Hell Shmup

9.3%
  6. Nightmerica (USN)

5.2%
  7. Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny

9.3%
  8. 1001 Attempts

3.1%
  9. AVP: Evolution

3.1%
  10. Bobbing

5.7%
  1. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

Sad to see that at the last minute Penumbear gets shill accounts voting, some with 1 post or 0 posts. Shame. I thought it would be fairplay between indies...

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #102 undeadcow, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    BulkyPix has been accused of shill account voting in the past; I think EchoSeven has a system for weeding those out. Congratulations on King Cashing 2's strong showing.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yeah, I'll be investigating tomorrow. Quick look though, I don't see any obvious shills for Penumbear. Maybe two I'd take a further look at, but nothing too serious just yet.

4. It was down to 3 for me, RR3, Penumbear, and Danmaku 2. Went back and forth, RR3 played the most, Danmaku 2 has icade core support, and Penumbear was a nice original new game.

Had high expectations for RR3, Danmaku 2, and AVP. RR3 could have been one of the best games ever on ios. But all of these games let me down somewhat for all different reasons. Danmaku 2, I considered voting for, for it's icade core support. But I think that wouldn't be right.

So I will go with Penumbear. It has been the only game that has made me smile with no disappointments. Plus the great graphics and game style play oh so well on hdmi tv.

Since EA has finally reduced the wait timers in RR3 to less than one hour, which was my goal when I started the boycott EA movement, I will be ending my call to boycott EA. I pray that good games by Indies will still stay the path towards great games, not freemium inapp gulpers, purposely crippled by stupid impediments like the useless wait timers.

So I will be changing my signature soon. Normally, I would have voted hands down for RR3, cause as Lost Deputy said it well, "It is like looking for gold nuggets in dog dung". And so, because of this, I will support Penumbear.

But icade core is GREAT!!! Give it a try if you all have a chance. Especially you, Syntheticvoid, me and you are some of the most loyal shmup fans, and you are always taking about liking joystick controls instead of fast touch. You will LOVE it, I guarantee you. Pictures below with my 2nd choice this time around, Danmaku 2. Plus, it plays great with hundreds of games like Tabletop racing, phoenix hd, metal slugs, blazing star, mikey shorts, etc... So fun!

Attached Files:

5. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

The competition of this poll is very hard. But i hope that at least lot of votes here and 5 star iTunes reviews in all the planet i hope that will be enough to Crazy Bill get reviewed by TA.
    [​IMG]

6. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #106 Andy C83, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Bobbing got my vote. Some of the level design in that game is absolutely mind-bending. Perfecting the included 86 levels (with loads more on the way) is not an experience I'll soon forget. Incredible. Check out the Free Get Addicted Edition if y'all don't believe me.

Had loads of fun playing Crazy Bill earlier in the week, and that's where my vote was originally headed. 1001 Attempts is a cool ''Super Crate Box-esque'' retro arcade game that'll surely be on my device for quite a while. I haven't put much time into Penumbear bear yet, but it does look really nice. King Cashing 2 still has the ''new'' tag on the app. Towelfight 2, Danmaku Unlimited 2 and Nightmerica have all been wishlisted. I had little to no interest in RR3 and AVP: Evolution, for various reasons.

My honorable mention goes to Angle Isle. ''A fun, well-made little game with a charming aesthetic...'' - Echoseven. ''Angle Isle is very surreal and I am enjoying playing it. The ''flap'' mechanics are a lot of fun combined with the elusiveness of the pixel shark. Nice!'' - undeadcow.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Agreed with the sentiments on the games you (and I, it seems :p) mentioned. We seem to share the same tastes!

As for Nightmerica - it left me a little unimpressed. I found the controls (on iPad) to be quite... bad and the gameplay a bit unappealing and frustrating. (mostly due to the controls, but after suffering for a good half hour I quit).

Towelfight seems to be iOS' best answer to Binding of Isaac, as that's what the game reminds me most strongly of. The controls again were a bit off on the iPad and while I enjoyed it, I ended up deleting it. Still a great game for sure, though.

Penumbear... I can see how it's a good game, and all the parts that make it up are appealing to me on an individual level, but overall as the sum of its parts, I find it... not lacking, but it just doesn't have that oomph that I'd like. Wimp had it, Penumbear... A great game for sure, but not something I'd obsess over like Bobbing.

And... Bobbing. Hell Yeah. I don't remember having this much fun with a game in... well, in a really, really long time, on any platform. Two days straight playing it and 86 perfect levels later, I still want more. MOAR. My personal best this week, easily.

8. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    My top 3 of the week

1. King Cashing 2
    2. Eighty-Eight
    3. Penumbear

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I hope you didn't mind too much. :p:eek:

10. JoOfDeath

JoOfDeath Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Animator
    Thx for all the support and all the votes for Bobbing! That was pretty awesome! It's the first game we made an indie game and just to know that some people vote us when they could give it to the others great game here , it's a great feeling!

I've been an animator in the game industry for 10 years now, so I wasn't the one making the game more fun, now I can feel how it's like when people like the design we made. Thx

BTW : My english suck sorry, terribly :p

11. multimage

Yeah it just happens that it was those I quickly rolled over yesterday. My mistake. I didn't mean to blame Penumbear for doing it either. It just seemed odd to me that they suddenly got so many votes in such a short time but it's possible someone else did this without them even knowing about it. Anyway I don't want to start a flame war or anything. Glad to see that you are checking into this kind of things week after week.

12. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Hey multimage,

We definitely didn't do anything to try and cheat. It does look like someone made an account and voted for us near the end, that vote should absolutely be removed. We don't want anything unfair to happen.

We posted a request to vote on the GOTW thread on the Penumbear thread near the end, so hopefully that accounted for the bump.

Regardless of what happens, this weeks GOTW was the craziest three way race I've seen in awhile. Glad to be in it with you!

Good luck!

- Taco Graveyard

13. multimage

Yep, it was crazy indeed!

Still, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions so fast yesterday. I should concentrate on development and not investigation, especially when it's way past my bed time haha. Good luck to you too!

14. LuisRM

LuisRM Active Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Still taking votes? First time I've voted. King Cashing 2, it's absolutely hooked me.

15. One of the closest races ever. Curious to hear who is the winner.

Never in my wildest dreams over a month ago, would I have believed RR3 would lose this, kinda sad. But they did reduce the final wait timers less than one hour which was my goal in the beginning to make the game tolerable and fun. So I have changed my TA signature as shown below.

Congrats to the winner whoever you are. Too all of you developers who posted here, please make alot of great games in the future. If we had races like this every week, it would be great.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I would have liked to see DU2 get a little higher. I fear it'll end up being a hidden gem and not get the attention it deserves, because the dev isn't in a great financial situation to make games full time (partly because everyone is pirating DU2) and he just happens to be one of the finest developers we have for this genre on the App Store. It'd be a great shame to lose him.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Do you know what the first thing I said after playing DU2 for a few minutes?

"This game is beautiful."

But shmups are a little niche in my eyes and even though I greatly enjoyed my play through (a few hours) I feel it's at an end because it's just not my type of game. But damn if it isn't absolutely gorgeous to look at.

18. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    You need to go press the vote button, at the top of the thread, not just post, for it to count.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Poll is has been closed already when he posted as far as i can tell.

20. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    No problem, just letting him know for next time. New people can get confused between the nomination process (where you post) and the actual voting. I know it confused me, and I've been around here for a while! :)