TA Forums Game of the Week (Feb 20)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Feb 23, 2013.

?

What was your preferred release this week?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2013.
  1. Year Walk

53 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Spunk and Moxie

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Worm Run

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Backflip Madness

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. The Gods

18 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Major Magnet

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. West Legends

12 vote(s)
    9.5%
  8. Color Sheep

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Cyto

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Grudger

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Went with Year Walk. One of the most atmospheric games on the appstore, and does so with its own unique style of story telling and presentation.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm around, honest!

Just been busy with a multitude of things... Came on a few days ago to post the GOTW, saw this thread (thank you SO MUCH, btw, I cannot begin to describe how much I appreciate it), sighed with relief and went back to work.

Glad to see it's going well!

(p.s. there's no way to change the visibility of voters after the fact, so you need to be careful every time)

3. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I voted for the game that made me a little bit nutty..

Year walk..

4. This week is rough, so many good games. Having a tough time deciding, and still thinking of getting 2 more games this week. Everyday my mind is changing on which game is best, sometimes by the hour. Wish all weeks were like this.

5. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Yes this is a hard week. I bought 4 games:
    Dog Monster is a great endless runner
    Worm Run is also a good endless game, but I don't like the controls
    Backflip Madness: I honestly don't know how a game that looks so boring can be so much fun.
    Major Magnet is an awesome game but GC is not working for me.

Dog Monster is not even on the poll, so I have to decide between Backflip Madness and Major Magnet.. and my vote goes toooooooo....... Backflip Madness :)

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hard week, all 3 games I got are outstanding by their own merits and its going to be difficult... but somehow, mostly because it innovates, Worm Run its on the lead.

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm pleased to see Spunk and Moxie get some love, joint second right now. One of my favourite games of the year so far.

As for Year Walk, I just haven't had the time yet to get into it, I'm sure it's great though. :)

@Sink

Game Center only started working properly for me in Major Magnet after I'd logged into Facebook. :-/

8. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    wow that sucks! fb login is the only way to use GC? Hopefully they change this in the next update, if not this screams for a refund.

9. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm not sure that that's the only way to use GC. All I can say is that, for me at least, the leaderboard and achievement buttons did not work until after I'd logged in to FB.

10. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    The gc buttons work for me but the scores were not submitted and achievements don't unlock. And their are still only 200 people on the leaderboards, there must be something wrong because I'm sure way more people bought the game.

11. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm seeing 173 people on GC, I just assumed that that's correct.

What achievement/achievements haven't unlocked for you in GC?

12. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I've only played through 10 levels. But I already unlocked the "fall into goal portal 50 times", "beat your highscore on a level" and the achievement for watching the credits. And like I said, most important my scores don't show up on GC. I reinstalled the game 2 times but it doesn't help

13. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Im dissapointed that Backflip madness isn't on the 1st place. :D

I think people "over-value" (is that a word?) Year Walk. Just my opinion.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I will admit that I don't usually get it when 'big name' games are so loved... but Year Walk has definitely captured me. More so than any other game so far this year... and as much as I'd love to see West Legends or Spunk & Moxie win it - they haven't grabbed me like Year Walk. Not to say that they are not great games... or weren't made with an incredible amount of care and love - I just can't get over how great it is having a game like Year Walk on the iOS... but I totally get why some people just don't click with it. I never clicked with Infinity Blade, Superbrothers, Horn, Modern Combat...

But I can not deny that this week has been a great reminder for why I love the iDevice so much... no matter what game you guys have clicked with this week - it really seem to have been a great one, and could totally agree with any one of the nominations for this weeks GOTW snagging first place.

15. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    The ''beat your high score on a level'' is actually supposed to be ''beat your friends score''. The credits one is related to watching the credits at the end of the game. The ''fall through a portal'' one is definitely bugged for me too, but that's my only problem so far.

If you really have to log in to FB to have your score uploaded, that seems a strange decision for sure. Hopefully they'll sort that out!

16. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #56 Andy C83, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Totally agree with that. Bearing in mind that I haven't been able to play Year Walk yet, Spunk and Moxie has been THE ONE for me this week.
    That game punched me in the face and kicked me in the nuts, and still had me begging for more. :p

17. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Year Walk by a landslide.I have this but I have no idea whats going in this one.I'm gonna have to go back and get into this one.

18. Yeah me too, got 4, spunk, grudgers, worm run, and gods. All are great games worth a Ninjackid buck.

Gotta look at Dog Monsters, and Gun Bros 2 was fun for a little bit until the paywalls hit.

Gonna do some research on some of the others. Just new releases and RR3 are taking up all my game time, and I deleted a lot of tower defense games for them. Sigh, just don't find myself playing those tower defense games lately. But couldn't delete Jelly defense, it is so cute hehe.

Insteresting to see what next week will be like with two games coming out RR3 and the new aliens vs predators game. Will be very berry interesting. Hope there will be some good Indie titles too.

Attached Files:

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah - Figaro Pro came out yesterday, and should be able for nomination alongside RR3, AVP and Danmaku Unlimited 2...

gonna be a tough week (though I'm already pretty sure I know where my vote's goin...)

20. #60 Connector, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Danmaku 2?????????? Woah, that is already shaping up to get my vote!!! Can't wait to play it on hdmi tv, with my soundbar pumping out music like there is no tommorrow. Love shmups on hdmi tv, and I look forward to it. RR3 could have been a game of the year without its baggage, but I am looking forward to Danmaku 2.

Anyone curious what a portrait shmup looks loke on hdmi tv, Dodonpachi Maximum on hdmi. Makes me wish I had a 60 inch tv cause of the larger borders, so I sit 6 ft close to my 40 class tv to play these games instead ofy usual 12 foot seating.

Edit: the reason why I posted this screenshot is that both games are very similar in look.

Attached Files: