TA Forums Game of the Week! (Apr 17th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Apr 18, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of April 17th?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2013.
  1. Fangz

44.6%
  2. Cut the Rope: Time Travel

10.8%
  3. Legend of the Holy Archer

3.6%
  4. Fish Out Of Water!

4.8%
  5. Dark Quest

4.8%
  6. RPG Silver Nornir

9.6%
  7. Fist Face Fight

2.4%
  8. They Need To Be Fed 2

16.9%
  9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Rooftop Run

2.4%
  1. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Why is it fair that people that haven't even played the game they voted for influence this poll?

2. #102 Connector, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    You can not answer a question with a question! Hehe. :p

First answer my question, then I will gladly answer any of yours or frosts. :)

-------

Also see this...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2799002&postcount=9142

Is it really fair for really active users to feel excluded from participation in this poll cause of money concerns?

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Connector, this is a forum members poll and Echoseven does a fantastic work to keep the poll fair (I seen it first hand), so you dont need to vote to support a game to favor it ahead of some freemium other one every single week, even if you do it from all the kindness of your heart. :) Vote for the game you bought and love.

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    #104 sink_or_swim, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    :p
    Because they are willing to spent much money just for the apps, every week. It's not about the most money.. we are not talking about thousands of dollars every month. If you can't afford that much money you are limited to 2 or 3 apps per week and you have to decide which one you like the most. And not voting for the app with the most "hype" or votes in the poll.
    But this: "I download 2 freemium apps and maybe a $1 app, but in the end I vote for a $5 premium app just because I watched youtube videos and read reviews about it" is just the wrong way imo. Sorry Connector , that's something I don't get.. but different people different opinions :p
    I hope you understand what I'm trying to say in my very bad english :D
    Now I have to go to bed, it's already too late :)

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I am not understanding any of this. The only measure of having the most money is having the most money, not the ability to buy a game. Whilst I don't have the most money I spend alot of time playing games (although not as much as I'd like) and i only ever nominate games I've played and then choose my favourite from that after spending a bit more time over the week. One of the beauties of iOS gaming is the relative cheapness. My kids play console games and they're lucky to get 2/3 games a year. No big shakes but I wouldn't say Citizen Kane was my favourite film if I hadn't seen it sort of thing. I haven't seen it though and as such it's not my favourite film.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..I do this too. There's been plenty of weeks when I've played games on the poll but don't vote at all cause they didn't click with me.

Sometimes I even wish the poll results are hidden until the poll is closed. Been seeing a few people mentioning they'll vote for their 2nd or 3rd choice just to make the competition closer or for whatever other reason. To me, it distorts the results cause the results don't reflect what each person has played and liked.

7. #107 Connector, Apr 27, 2013
    This is only your philosophy, nothing else. :)

The frost, again, I said that I would only bother to respond if you answered my two questions first. :)

But on the counterside (which probably is 99% of the mass audience), answer this.

Why is it fair that people with the most money get the best chance to vote and influence this poll?

And another question.

If you were voting for the fastest car, and you had a ford pinto, would you vote for the ford pinto or a ferrari?

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Arguments here become flawed the moment they begin to take these polls seriously. There's no way you can enforce a solid, scientific set of rules, and if there was, you'd already be breaking them because "play every game in the list" would be the most important rule in the name of complete fairness.

So basically you're all moaning about something completely pointless. The GotW threads are a bit of fun and nothing more. You might as well stop trying to police it because you can't win. Maybe this week I'll vote for a game I've never even heard of just to illustrate my point.

9. #109 Connector, Apr 27, 2013
    So you are saying that people like Exact Pscience and tops2 are not doing the proper thing by nominating games that they haven't bought yet??? ;)

Fangz is da bomb, no matter what anyone says, cause it will have icade support soon!

[​IMG]

10. #110 Connector, Apr 27, 2013
    Isn't it the same thing here? You would not vote for the pinto, just cause you owned it right? And why did you vote for the Ferrari, though you never drove it? Same thing here to some extent.

Fangz, I have been working with the dev through pms to assist him in which icade to buy and where to buy it for the best price. So doesn't that count for something? Shouldn't there be some allowance for a game that one actually made a difference on, no matter how slight?

If Iron man and fangz came out this week, then I would probably give the nod to a game that was in final form already. Since fangz doesn't have icade support now, I would go with the other. Though iron man maybe a bad example cause it has wait timers. Though on the plus side, it makes for a great hdmi tv game.

[​IMG]

I explained my position on this a couple of posts back. I think participation not the actual results is what is important. The fun over the official results. While I know you and frost point out that the rules have to be tightened, please read Midian's post, cause there is no way that it can be enforced, and by your perception that that should be a rule, I do feel it may exclude others.

See

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2799002&postcount=9142

I asked quickly in another thread why other active users on TA weren't participating in the game of the week. Two quick answers came, that they didn't buy enough apps to participate. I find this sad.

For example, 99.9% of ios users don't buy one app a week even. Sure there are a couple of users like Metalcasket here that buy a heck of alot, but the recent trend too of developers screwing early adopters on day 3, week 1, or one month, have caused many to wait to purchase.

So to make entry into the gow the week thread based mostly on your ability to purchase on day one, I don't find fair. i would rather encourage more and more users (of course not shrill ones, etc), and encourage more voting.

Even lately since the early adopter blues stuff came on really strong in the past 3 months or so, there seems to be a lot fewer people voting, almost 1/2 the numbers. Also, the hate on this board has exponentially tripled, with so much anger towards freemiums, early adopter blues, bait and switch, and freemium converts.

Anyway, my point is, this poll is more for learning about which apps are worthy of buying, for ta active members to have fun voting, and to encourage more and more people to participate by not making purchasing ability a prime factor in one's voting ability.

As Midian pointed out, the results really don't make much sense unless everyone tries every single game, and votes impartially. That ain't gonna happen.

I'm not talking about $5 apps, when I say I might wait for a sale, it is like a Cave game which costs $15, then once a year, I will have to wait for it to be 1/2 price. But I may vote for it for gow cause I know deep inside I would have voted for it, cause I love cave shmups.

What everyone things is cheap, or how much people buy a year, or if one waits for sales or frees, really when you think about it; really is just from one's own perspective.

There are many users which buy one app a year, there are many that buy one a month, there are few that buy one a week, and there are some (the 0.000001% of the population) that may buy one a day.

I dunno, I suppose, I think this poll is more for fun and to try to get as many users to vote, and to try to take the money/sale/free factor out of it. But yeah, if you guys disagree with me, that is fine. I probably do this twice a year or so, and you both probably know, I do alot of ios purchases, though lately, it is for icade or hdmi games since buying some of these games on release nowadays, you really get the early adopter blues very quickly. :D

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I always vote for a game I've played just because I feel that's the only real way to judge a game. But even though I don't necessarily agree with voting for games you haven't played, I get some of Connector's points. The only real way to have a more accurate poll is if everyone bought every game. That's just not going to happen.

Despite the low cost of apps, it adds up .....quickly. I'm amazed at how many people buy a large chunk of games every week. I know I couldn't afford that over the long run. I buy the games I'm most interested in. And if it turns out to be just one game that week, I'll vote for it IF I think it's good. If I buy a bunch of games and think they all suck, I won't vote for any.

I personally think it seems logical to have played a game to vote for it, but there's no way to enforce it and this is a fun poll so I'm not going to gripe about it. The only real rule I agree with is when votes get stacked on a game by devs and people who joined just to make a game win. That's not playing fair. Otherwise, members should be able to vote for the game they think deserves to win.

If someone is willing to buy me every game each week so I can vote with full knowledge, please feel free to send me a check ;)

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Damn, forgot to vote. For what it's worth, They Need To Be Fed 2 would have got my vote. It's clearly better than Fangz. I haven't played Fangz, but I still know that TNTBF2 is better. :)

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Connector, you dont get it... Vote for the game
    YOU liked the most of what YOU played. Doesnt matter what game it is as long as YOU have played it and consider it worthy. Not what Exact Psience or SyntheticVoid plays, your OWN games. Doesnt matter if freemium, it doesnt matter the price, how many apps you buy, only 1 a week is still ok. Vote for something you love. Otherwise, Echoseven, could you NOT count Connector vote please? :p ;)

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Really?!?!

Why is this even an issue?

It's FOR FUN... Not some official award winning contest that's equal to the Grammies or Nobel Piece Prize (yeah, had to include it)...

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    But hype IS what is boils down to, whether you like it or not. The most hyped games get downloaded the most by forum members, the least hyped games get downloaded the least. Simple logic. The lesser hyped games could easily be better, but until you play every game on the list you won't know for sure. So it's a hype counter.

At last, someone is on the same page as me.

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    To clarify for me, I nominate games I've played..but usually wait a bit before voting since sometimes the first impression may be good..but I may lose interest after a few days so I won't even vote at all...

But anyways..I actually don't care who wins and about how fair the poll is. I use this thread to just see find games that I may have overlooked. The lastest game game I've initially passed by but later tried and liked was Blendoku if it wasn't for the thread for the poll. =)

17. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Of course it's just for fun, but it's a lot of work for Echoseven, and he works really hard to keep the poll fair, keep outsiders out, discount devs votes, etc., all to make it at least somewhat meaningful as a view into what TA gamers liked most that week. Fangz now has a "Fangz is Toucharcade Game of the Week!" as the first line in the App description, and we have seen this happen for other games as well, so clearly devs see it as a valuable award.

18. #118 Connector, Apr 27, 2013
    Yeah, I know, it was just kinda humorous that people would all of a sudden be forced to justify how they nominated games and whether they bought all of the games they nominated.

It would be kinda sad if Frost started targeting all the members like Exact Pscience who have posted officially that they don't. Cause in this day and age where earliy adopters often get the boot on day 3, metalcasket maybe the only one on this whole board who would be able to nominate the full 5 games each week on a poll.

If the rules were enforced in this manner, then the majority of the users on TA would be able to nominate only one or maybe even no games other than freemiums.

I would think that there are people that do a lot of research by looking at youtubes, reading threads, itune reviews, etc for nominations. I think we need to promote participation and fun. Otherwise this thread is going to lose even more voters like it has recently, and be too easily influenced by shrill votes. Personally, I think this poll needs to be viewed more for fun and participation.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sometimes I vote for a game I want to get more visibility, even if I actually prefer another.

20. #120 Connector, Apr 27, 2013
    How can I have a discussion with you if you don't answer any of my questions? Are you the GOTW police? Please answer my questions below.

You mention EP and Syntheticvoid in your post, why I got no idea. I never vote for a game just cause someone else did. Yes, there are certain users posts that would ring a bell to try it maybe, but that's it. I am friends with both, and I do trust their judgement on games, but that's about it. I'm sure if you've read most of my posts on this board, I am much more pro HDMI and pro icade then they are in influencing my decisions on games.

I've posted numerous reasons explaining why I did what I did, and there is no rule stating that you can only nominate and vote for games that you purchased, so to call for a rule violation is just wrong. Plus, even if you take out my one vote for Fangz, it wouldn't make a difference whatsoever in the polls for last week.

This poll is mostly for the fun, spirit, and participation to me as I explained in previous posts. It's kinda sad to me when newer users say to me that don't feel like they can participate in this voting cause they don't buy enough games. It should be for fun. Not taken too seriously cause really the only fair way is to play every single game that week, and that is not realistic.

If you don't like that I vote for a game every week and nominate 5 games every week, I apologize. But suffice to say that I do a lot of research every week on most every game. Now if stuff like that doesn't count at all, then so be it, but it's not fair for you to call for a removal of a vote, if there is no clear rule violation at all.

Also, I would like to clarify that for someone reading this that is kinda unaware of the GOTW or a new user reading this thread. I am in no way involved with Fangz, just been assisting the developer choosing an icade, and to help find him a way for him to get one in his own country. That is all. :)