TA Forums Game of the Week! (Apr 10th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Apr 12, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of April 10th?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2013.
  1. Kingturn RPG

24 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Mr. Crab

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. 1800

14 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Gemini Rue

38 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Mighty Dungeons

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. HEAVY - sword

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Blendoku

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. Blue Toad Murder Files: A Touch of Mystery

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Dungeon Hunter 4

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. #81 Connector, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Greetings,

This week I have the pleasure of playing three games - Mr. Crab, Blendoku, and Dungeon Hunter 4. It has taken some thinking as to which game I would choose this week. Mr. Crab is great with having both portrait/landscape support which makes it easy to play on HDMI tv. It has simple controls, and great fun. Blendoku is a great puzzle game and made by the developer of the game Brainsss, which I beta tested for.

However, this time I will have to go with Gameloft and Dungeon Hunter 4. While I know this game has been somewhat criticized for being a freemium and having some wait timers, the fun factor has been good for me. One of the biggest factors in my decision, is this game supports airplay widescreen, so it plays absolutely great on a big tv! So because of that, I will vote for Dungeon Hunter 4. The link to the airplay supported games is as follows:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262&page=6

Now, a couple of other interesting tidbits, thought I would just post it here cause some of you more active members would read this.

First, I am currently helping some developers implement icade controls. I assisted in two really recent games - the other brothers and plasma sky.

Plasma sky's developer has worked extensively with me to produce many a one of the kind icade support - 5 sensitivity settings for joystick control. What this means is that the ship will move in up to 5 different speed settings depending on the icade sensitivity setting you choose.

The developer was very receptive to my ideas on icade control, and I tried to develop a joystick control that would impress even Syntheticvoid, cause often, me and him are talking to developers like dotemu and others on implementing different controls.

I have always advocated instantaneous touch which was implemented in such titles such as Blazing Star and Raiden Legacy, and Syntheticvoid has always liked joystick slower movement too as an option.

So, on Plasma Sky, I tried hard to get the developer to have many different joystick type play, from really slow but graceful motion joystick action like really old games like space invaders, a normal like setting close to Phoenix HD or Danmaku 2, and 3 faster settings, some very close to crazy. In fact some of the higher settings, I get scared that my ipad will fall out of my icade core cause gameplay becomes more violent.

The Plasma Sky icade update will be coming out around this weekend, so keep an eye out for feedback of the icade controls, because it is probably the first game ever on ios to have 5 joystick speed settings, in fact, I can't even recall a console game that can do this.

I hope this will become a standard in joystick play on the future kinda how moveable controls are now too in ios platformers. So be on the lookout for the update, and if you don't have an ipad, icade core joystick, or hdmi tv, then get one!

Second, I have been spending some time trying to get more activity in the lounge as of late. A fairly large group of us new lounge lizards have started up alot of lounge games, and a new TA chatroom, which has close to 800 pages already in only about a month and a half. Please come check it out and join us at anytime. Take the time to read the first page of the chatroom, there are a ton of interesting links and other information on there.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180815

Third, somehow I got another title change, don't have any idea why, but ninjackid made me aware of it, and you can read my reply in my sig. Thanks Eli and crew, looks pretty cool. And for any of you that haven't read the HDMI or icade joystick links, please hit the link in my title to see them. The chatroom and HDMI threads are maintained by me, so take a look when you got time.

Sorry for sometimes seeming to post so much about hdmi and icade, but by my posting, it has created a great interest in using an idevice as a console. At first, I remember it seemed like only Killercow and I were the only hdmi users in the whole wide universe, but slowly many members now use hdmi or apple tv. Same kinda with icade, so little time ago, it just seemed like Adams Immersive and me having a conversation together, but now, there are many more icade users.

Been excited to help work on a couple of titles recently with icade support, tabletop racing, plasma sky, the other brothers, and some others. Icade seems to be getting more mainstream now, and I am really happy with what we were able to do with Plasma Sky with 5 icade settings. It is awesome.

Fourth, past 10,000 posts, mostly because of the chatroom hehe, but if you look at the chatroom's toc (table of contents, page 1), you can see my 10,000 post with thanks to TA and crew.

Fifth, I support Real Racing 3 now cause of implementation of icloud in the update, better framerates for ipad 3, better sounds, and smaller disk size (800mb less!). And of course cause the wait timers were reduced to about one hour on the US release. So now my rating has gone up from 4 stars to 4.5 stars. Very highly recommended!

Sixth, we had our first developer Q&A in the Toucharcade's chatroom with rodgreen who is the developer for Blendoku, you can read some of it here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180815&page=782

Seventh, that's it! That's all I can think of, plus it's late! Hopefully it made some interesting reading for you all. :)

Attached: Plasma Sky with icade support - 5 joystick speed settings - will be out by this weekend!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Welcome to the Connector blog. Er.. wait.. this is till the GotW thread :p

Connector, it's sad you didn't play Gemini Rue. Seriously, that game is just heavenly. I can see why you'd go DH4. It's easy to get into a game that is free and Gameloft games typically have pretty high production values for iOS gaming.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree i think everyone has to play Gemini Rue, a great game. I love some old fashioned icade blasting but Gemini Rue is superb

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Congratulations to Gemini Rue, I'll have to check it out. I'm glad to see Kingturn get second place, Kingturn is a blast.

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, I'm glad Gemini Rue pulled out the win. It's always cool (IMO) to see a solidly amazing premium game at a premium price manage to win something like this.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well said, totally agree.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Fortunately all the nominations this week were premium games except that "one that will not be named" (aka DH4, unless I am overlooking something). Sometimes I think the emphasis on freemium bashing is mis-placed by over-emphasizing that accursed business model when there are thankfully plenty of quality alternatives.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's too late to vote for it here, but check out Kingturn on the front page.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Late to the party..but Blendoku is fun as heck. I'm not into puzzle games, and dismissed it immediately..but glad I gave this a go!

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I will if I can get some new iPad screenshots :p

11. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    +1 to Kimgturn. Gemini Rue is a great game to be beaten by though. At least we didn't get beat by the crab game ! (No disrespect to it, it's just not my cup of tea!)

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's utter blasphemy that Blendoku could lose to 1800.

13. RodGreen

RodGreen Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    #93 RodGreen, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    :D! Glad you tried it!

Hey it's ok! 1800 is a good game :D don't discredit it!

I'm just glad we got on the list at all! Congratulations to Gemini Rue! Well deserved win there!

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hey Connector, sorry don't have the time for the wall of text on HDMI and iCade regarding DH4 LOL. But since you voted for it, surely you've got to have some patented tips for avoiding falling into the atrocious IAP system it has. I've been waiting for the Connector playbook like you had for RR3 :).

15. Yeah, well, I'm not too crazy about the trend toward freemiums and wait timers that is for sure. Games like RR3 and DH4, sure I would have liked a whole lot better as a premium app that is for sure.

But I gotta give props for both games in that they are close to console games, and since I pretty much play mainly as a hdmi tv and icade console ipad player, I like games that play well as a console games.

One problem though as of late is that it is kinda hard to be an early adopter as of late due to all the quick 3 day sales, freemium converts, frees, etc, so I am sure this is playing alittle bit in just picking and choosing games to play on release nowadays, which is a little sad.

But nonetheless, all 3 games that I played this week, Blendoku, DH4, and Mr. Crab were all enjoyable. Can't say I really had a favorite really, so picked DH4 cause it rocks on tv with sound pumping loud.

But yeah, I agree with you, would have loved to have seen a premium RR3 or DH4, they could have been TA's Game of the Year. But the reality is, freemiums are probably here to stay, and the constant freemium flamewars in game threads are getting to be a headache to read nowadays. Makes even the chatroom look tame, even with all of our funny picts. :)

16. Tips:

1. Don't buy any inapps if you don't wanna.
    2. Don't download freemiums if you don't like them.
    3. Don't expect Apple to refund $100 inapp cars (Ferraris) when your child buys them.
    4. Cry to your mama if you are mad about video games.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #97 awp69, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    ^^ NP. I wasn't trying to get into the whole freemium thing. Just remember you had some pretty good tips with RR3 (hence, the "Connector playbook"). Thought you may have figured out how to play DH4 without going into major debt too, so thought I'd ask.

Just like RR3, there's a great game beneath all the timers and BS.

Edit: just saw your tips. :) Guess I'll just go home and cry.