TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Jan)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Jan 18, 2012.

?

TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Jan)

Poll closed Jan 25, 2012.
  1. Ash II

7.4%
  2. Frederic: Resurrection of Music Complete

8.4%
  3. Jazz: Trump's Journey

10.5%
  4. Order Up!! To Go

5.3%
  5. Puzzlejuice

25.3%
  6. Smash Cops

4.2%
  7. Soul Calibur

25.3%
  8. Star Warfare

9.5%
  9. Time of Heroes

4.2%
  1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #61 TheFrost, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    No no no, i have it, its mine, and i dont watch Sanukus videos, they tell me too much if i want the game, dont want to repeat everything i just saw in a vicdeo, want to discover it by myself, and maybe that was a mistake with this one. Sometimes i buy a game that i dont like but i dont post anything about it, i delete it and go on with my life, dont want to remember my awful purchase... and that happened to Jazz: Boring and Repetitive Journey, they are indie devs and dont want to bury their hopes, unless its very bad, of course...

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't know why you found it boring and repetitive. It's a puzzle platformer and it adds new elements in exponentially. The further you get, the harder and more advanced things become. It's not really hard per say, though there are some frustrating parts, but overall it's a game more about atmosphere. I gifted Lumi out, got the buzz going, and some more people bought it. The main concensus was it's fun, immersive, plus looks and feels good. It wasn't hard, there wasn't a ton of action, and it was mildly sort. However, what it did do, it did very well. I think the same thing applies to Jazz. I've put way more time into Jazz then I've put into other platformers.

I could easily pick apart all the things with Puzzlejuice or what I don't like about it, but I understand the goal of the dev.

I just find it interesting that you don't like the game and think it's repetive. I mean I've played a ton of platformers and could outline a sense of repetition. At least Jazz has a good story, looks amazing, controls well, and progresses nicely IMO--it adds quite a bit of new stuff as you progress through, as I stated before. And it has some of, if not, the best animations for a 2D game on iOS.

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    It just bored me, dont know why, maybe i like more the Super Meat Boy type platformers... Rolando also bored me.... same with Snoozie (or however you write it). Played like 6 full levels and was done with it, always the same: ladders, go up or down, jump, stop time, jump on a moving platform, stop time, jump on a rotating platform, stop time, etc... i give it to you that the levels are more complex than average... not being linear, that said... either way, its my opinion, please dont take it to your heart, some like it, some dont, is taste and how it works... and Lumi is a great game for me too, havent finished it yet (tons of other game to finish, lets not forget the endless ones), that game i like, a lot

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I feel you! There's puzzle platformers, there's action platformers, and there's speedrunner type platformers. I guess it just comes down to preference like you said. I typically don't like puzzle platformers as much as this, but Jazz has an essence about it that makes it stick and keeps the challenge fresh.

*There's a ton of platformer categories.

But, you better believe I'm definitely looking forward to Paper Monsters and Speed Blazers. I'm a collector of games, so it's somewhat easy for me to find the essence in a game, as long as it's of quality. I typically don't discriminate against games and you'll find me posting about every type of genre.

P.S. You need to finish Lumi because the last 2 levels are epic!

5. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I will most Likely be getting Jazz but I'm just trying to spend money on apps more carefully. I end up spending to much on games I don't have time to play. From what I saw it didn't look like something I need to have right now, not waiting for a price drop just waiting though if it went on sale yeah I'm going to get it. Puzzle Juice was on sale and for some reason it interested me enough to get it. I love it and that's why I voted for it.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Don't get me wroh, I get the overall enjoyment of Puzzlejuice, but I've never bought a quality wordgame and not get somewhat addicted to it--The Wiki Game, Bookworm, Scrabble, WWF, HWF, Quarrell, etc, etc.

It was just comparing it to the outstanding releases that we received this week and for cheap, Ash II was the most expensive for $5 and has an ignorantly good story plus 6 more chapters coming for free if you paid the full $5.

It just irks me that Pj beat out all of these amazing releases. The only thing really competing with it is a friggin' overpriced port of a fighting game, at least IMHO. No one can ever convince me that traditional fighting games truly work on a touch screen. KOF-i had awesome controls and I really liked it but it never felt as good as iOS-centric games--not even close.

I respect all opinions and reasons, but I had to get that off my chest.

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    You'll see praise many games, but you won't see me call too many brilliant, at least not in this sense--if that makes any sense. Frederic Resurrection of Music is pure brilliance!

Ultimately, it was a hard week because there were so many good games.

i didn't get too much into Cytus earlier, but I've finished the game on the first difficulty and I have to say wow! I really love the gameplay method and the songs are very good!

8. mr.Neo

mr.Neo New Member

Jan 25, 2012

Little Rockets is cool!

9. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Frederic: Resurrection of Music Complete is very under-appreciated, I had a blast with that game.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looks like the poll is closed? So will this be the first time we've had a tie?

Glad to see Puzzlejuice up there!

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Nice! Interesting that Soul Calibur was able to get the same amount of votes at $11.99 as a $0.99 game.

12. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Dammit I was just about to vote for Puzzlejuice!

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Congrats to Soul Calibur and Puzzle Juice! New thread up in a moment.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wanted to comment on this since it's a bone of contention in the thread about iOS gaming not being taken seriously.

I'm not sure how well Soul Calibur is doing overall, but this goes to show you that as much as some people complain about prices over that magic "$.99", that a game with a big backing can be successful at higher prices. SC isn't in the top 100 grossing games as of this posting, but Infinity Blade II is.

While even with newer iOS devices, we still won't see console level games mostly due to file size constrants, big companies like Namco are taking the system seriously. The graphics quality in games like IB show near console graphics are entirely possible. It's just that we can't have fleshed-out 20 GB console experience with that quality.