TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Jan)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Jan 18, 2012.

?

TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Jan)

Poll closed Jan 25, 2012.
  1. Ash II

7.4%
  2. Frederic: Resurrection of Music Complete

8.4%
  3. Jazz: Trump's Journey

10.5%
  4. Order Up!! To Go

5.3%
  5. Puzzlejuice

25.3%
  6. Smash Cops

4.2%
  7. Soul Calibur

25.3%
  8. Star Warfare

9.5%
  9. Time of Heroes

4.2%
  1. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
  2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Updated with Triple Town, Star Warfare: Alien Invasion and RPG - Fantasy Chronicle.

Poll's going up in a few hours, so get your nominations in. :)

3. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Triple Town

4. Jo.

Jo. Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
  5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Poll's up! Sorry about the delay. :)

Got 9 nominations up (due to a lot of 10th placed ties with 3 votes apiece, and my nominations didn't break the tie).

Vote!

6. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Puzzlejuice.

Favorite game...too good for $0.99

7. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
  8. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    voted time of heroes, hard pressed to find another developer who is on these boards fixing stuff and keeping his customers updated, plus the game is awesome and is a steal at it's price. Of course it's not a flavor of the week that people seemed to get overhyped about and forget in a week, it's an actual proper game, so it's doomed on here from the getgo.

9. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    #49 airdan, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    If Soul Calibur does not win all mankind is doomed. Doomed.

Edit: Well I have the 3 best (imo) games released this week. TOH, PJ and SC. Three of them are goody good, but man, a perfect SC port? You cant beat this. Just imagine the possible future ports!

10. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Tough choice between star warfare and Fredric but i voted Fredric for its originality and story :)

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Star Warfare is better than I expected it to be but going to abstain for now because I think Time of Heroes will rule once I get time to play it. Ash II looks promising but still need to get to Ash 1.

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #52 GoofyJmaster., Jan 24, 2012
    Man, it's going to be a tough decision this week.

You have Ash II which is really good--a lot better than I expected.

Frederic resurrection of Music is absolutely remarkable--a very entertaining story, beautiful visuals, ridiculously good music, and a pretty sweet gameplay system.

Then you have Jazz: Trump's Journey, an amazing platformer. WTH is up with all Bulkypix's published platformers getting lost when they first come out? The same thing happened with Terra Noctis. That thread was dying pretty hard when it first came, but got resurrected a bit later. I loved TN and I have to say Jazz is leagues ahead of that game. This is probably one of, if not, the best platform experiences you'll find on iOS. Everything in the game is seriously full of life and animates beautifully. The game progresses nicely introducing new elements each level. The story is wonderful even with the minor translation errors. People here know me as a huge platformer buff, and i highly recommend this game. Edit IMO, Paper Monsters has its work cut out for it next week. I will definitely be keeping this game in mind as play PM Wednesday night.

I also have to give a shout out to:
    Smash Cops - Awesome arcade car game
    Cytus - Another great rhythm game that came out this week
    Time of Heroes - The fact that it holds me after playing the likes of Ravenmark and KoDP is accomplishment enough--great TBS.

I also want to recognize that Star Warfare and Puzzlejuice are excellent games as well!

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #53 GoofyJmaster., Jan 24, 2012
    Seriously...Puzzlejuice. As awesome a word game I think it is, it just doesn't compare to the other releases this week.

Gawd, I hope a word or puzzle game beats Paper Monsters next week!

Soul Calibur :rolleyes:

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yep, Puzzlejuice is the deserved GOTW by far

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    By far? Please enlighten me as to why!

I've played a ton of amazing puzzle and word games, but to compare them to what has been released in a week like this is absurd, IMHO.

16. aeiowu

aeiowu Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Game Developer
    Chicago
    i vote puzuzlejiuce

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Jazz bored me to death after some levels... Soul Calibur, well i beated the crap out of it back in the day with friends... and a lot more the second part on the gamecube... so after playing it, it really doesnt compare to its console counterpart, need buttons ASAP.... and they rest... sorry :eek: So yeah, Puzzlejuice stands way above the rest, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above

18. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I voted puzzle juice because it was the only game I thought was worth getting this week. Not really into fighting games and Jazz just looked dull from the previews I saw. Took a chance with puzzle juice cause the great reviews and low price and after playing it I would have gladly payed more. Great game

19. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I own three of the listed games.

I love PuzzleJuice, but it's frantic pace is not my favorite word game style.

Frederic is great, but I struggle with the difficulty which is being addressed by a pending update.

I voted for Order Up! because I just keep playing it and I do not usually like time management type games, but this is very well done. Time will tell if the grinding gets old for me, but there are tons of things to unlock...with patience.

Was Triple Town from an earlier week? That game would be a strong candidate.

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #60 GoofyJmaster., Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    Well, I guess I can't easily vote games since I pretty much buy all the major releases every week. I also try and play through each game as much as I can, so that I get a good feel of it.

That being said, Jazz is far from being dull in any sense. It starts out slow in order to familiarize you with the gameplay mechanics and introduce you to the story. The menu, and I posted pics (HERE), has more life/soul in it then a lot of games. What you people fail to realize is that a lot of sites don't delve deep into a game (or at least it seems that way when I read a review), impressions are impressions and can be taken with a grain of salt, and if your referring to Sanuku's videos, they only cover the very beginning of the games.

Ask me why my site hasn't been updated recently? Well, the answer is because I want to play a game somewhat thoroughly or beat it so that I can give a valid review.

Anyways, my vote will either be for:
    Frederic - despite the difficulty, this is a brilliant game.

Jazz - Amazing platformer. It sticks to the more traditional layout and adds a new variety of challenges in each level. It has an inspiring story, beautiful graphics, great gameplay, and wonderful music. An atmospheric game at it's best.

Ash II - Damn good story and good gameplay, but the game is way too easy.