Universal Synesthetic - (by Alex Dantis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 18, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I might suggest that you put a song to play with in the Lite version. As I've mentioned before, I don't buy much from iTunes and actually don't have any songs on my 3GS. I was disappointed to find that if you get the lite it seems to force you to pick an iTunes song. The full version does come with a couple in-game tunes, right?

I thought if I liked it enough I might get it and buy a few iTunes to add to the gameplay. But I can't try it first.

2. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I really love the look of this game and music's element, but I'm always bad at fast action need game like this. :|

3. Kablermo

Kablermo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    This Game is EPIC!

Thanks, Alex! It was worth the 2 bucks :)

4. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Now I see the reason why there's nothing happening in the lite version. You should give us a taste of all game modes in the lite version.
    Refering to awp69 suggestion, perhaps you should put one song that showcases the game within the app. Perhaps one song for all game mode? If we want to use our own song, then we need to upgrade to the full version. I think that's a better solution to experience the "true" game. If the "lite" version is not fun, then why would we buy the full version?

5. Kablermo

Jul 19, 2012

Sorry, dude... but I didn't find any in-game tracks in the full version. This game is just as good as your own music.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Ok. Didn't realize that. There was some mentioning of some songs earlier in the thread so thought there was one or two included in there (ala Beat Hazard Ultra).

7. KEVINMS14

KEVINMS14 Member

May 15, 2012
    Wow wtf where is the lite version? I only saw the paid version, I searched the dev and nothing just the paid version.

Oh well.

8. Kablermo

Jul 19, 2012
    yeah... those mentioned songs mostly were the ones used in the trailer.

9. bleeps

bleeps Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 23, 2011
    I don't usually like tilt controls, they're typically too sensitive and don't feel responsive. I have to say you really did a great job with them in this game. I thought I would end up just playing this once or twice and then forget about it but I'm enjoying it a lot.

I hope to see this develop more in the future with different obstacle shapes, more color palette choices and more responses to music. Also it'd be great to be able to pick the color and light/dark options from the stage screen rather than have to back out to options.

10. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Well I watched the video and I'm afraid I can't see anything other than a random psychedelic mess that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the music. Frickin Windows Media Player has visualisations that are better than this, if only because they actually respond to the bloody music. No purchase here I'm afraid.

11. bleeps

bleeps Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 23, 2011
    Having actually played this, I can say It responds to the music really well. Haven't watched the vids so I can't comment on those. It's especially noticeable in songs with soft sections that contrast with loud parts. Most anything off of Sleigh Bells' Reign of Terror seems to be particularly fun. :)

12. An idea: you could add red/blue 3d glasses feature, so we can play this in 3d....add to the effect

13. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    This game is amazing but I didn't really like the way it lowers the volume when you hit an obstacle. I mean, sometimes you're willing to hear your song as it is and the volume decreases kill that. I think it would feel more confortable if we had sound effects for the collisions rather than lowering the volume. Perhaps the game could offer this as an option.

Other than that, Synesthetic responded very well to my songs and it's great overall.

14. woodrowjang

woodrowjang New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    #74 woodrowjang, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    a few observations

in vibe & wave mode the highs, mids, and lows, appear as horizontal lines, triangles, and squares respectively. In flux, the highs, mids, and lows appear as red, green, and blue trangles. At least this is what I've noticed in my songs.

Also for those of you who don't like the muting effects, I suggest playing flux. There aren't any obstacles in flux so your song will always play without interruption.

Quick question: has anyone gotten the 'Wrong!' achievement? I played a song on flux that was over 3 minutes long without hitting a single gate, but got the 'All Red' achievement instead. (The song was Koyaanisqatsi by Phillip Glass)

EDIT: Strangely enough, I was able to get the achievement on a song under 3 minutes.

15. Alex Dantis

Alex Dantis Active Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Wow, something is definitely wrong. I'm sorry about that (when you're working alone on a project bugs will sometimes slip by). I'm looking into it, hopefully early next week I'll release a patch that solves this and a couple more problems.

I'm experimenting with this but I doubt it will be less annoying.

If only the 3DS was (a lot) more indie-friendly.

16. woodrowjang

woodrowjang New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    #76 woodrowjang, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    Just wanted to thank you personally for this amazing game. I've already played 100 songs and I know I'll play 100 more.

My friend at the creators project wrote an article on the game: http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/isynesthetici-is-a-colorful-trip-that-vibes-to-the-beat-of-your-own-music

17. jag64

jag64 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    this "game" is so amazing! it reacts to your music in just a gr8 way! i played a vivaldi largo and the flow just slowed down( just for a sec)! next to groove: my favourite music-game! best drug with no side effects! lol gr8 job!!!!

18. Alex Dantis

Alex Dantis Active Member

Mar 20, 2012
  19. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    As sound effects are something merely overlapped to the song I think it could feel less destructive while still maintaining the sense of "hey, you just hit an obstacle!". Anyway, if your tests prove me wrong, please consider adding "Disable volume reductions" to the options menu, I would greatly appreciate. ;)

20. chrissphinx

chrissphinx New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    this is a pretty cool app, but unfortunately it doesn't work on any music bought from the iTMS which is basically my entire library :(

I realize that's probably to do with the way it analyses the music to build the track but this renders it unplayable for me (and anyone else that has a primarily iTMS purchased library)

but good job, I can definitely tell how the track varies in accordance with the tune