iPad Symbol6 [Short review]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iScarFace, Feb 23, 2009.

1. iScarFace

iScarFace Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    So I just got this game from a promo code that the developer posted here a short while ago. All they asked for was a review in return, so I am going to write this honest review.

It has a really cool "How To Play" area I saw when I first started using it. Which shows you how to operate it in real time playing.

If you like strategy games, or puzzle games this might be something you like.

Game Play:
    Basically it consists of a hexagonal shape with 7 shapes. You must change the shapes to the area which the similar incoming shape is headed toward. Though there is this one item which turns your shapes all gray so watch out.

Cost / Other Info
    $2.99 in the App store.
    App store rating: 4.5

My opinion:

Though puzzle games are not really my style, this game is actually pretty cool. Though I have not gotten the full hang of it for my self. I have not really seen a game like this before, and the graphics are amazing.
    The background music is calm and doesn't disrupt the game at all. The sounds are in good quality, and not really any complaints at this point. Though if I have suggestions or complaints I will be editing this post with them.

So I only suggest people whom like puzzle games buy this. Though even if you don't 100% like them, but sort of like them you might like this one.

Though I will leave it up to you. Post your thoughts about the game here if you get it.

My rating: 4/5

[​IMG]
    http://i39.tinypic.com/166b4ag.png
    http://i42.tinypic.com/6fqm51.png

2. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Hey thanks a lot for the review, I was actually pretty curious about the game from the screenshots. Can you put a link with a game play vid?

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    there is an online version at the dev's site, so why not try it for yourself?

4. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    haha, I actually didn't know about that. Thanks a lot!

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Link?

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    $2.99? definitely looks worth it. time to download a lite version.

7. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    theres no lite version. just buy it. you wont be disappointed if your a puzzle fan

8. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    #9 coconutbowling, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    phewww, that game is tough. I lost around level 9. Well, I'll put that game on my list. It's fun, but Zen Bound and Sway are calling me atm.

EDIT: Why'd I say level 9? I meant 11. Lol.

10. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Tried the web version and this is not a puzzle game. You have a few sides and there's symbols coming towards you and you have to swap the symbols on the sides to match the incoming ones. This is a dexterity game, nothing puzzle-ish about it.

11. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    really? I found it slow but when it sped up it got more fun.

12. jonasantonsson

jonasantonsson Active Member

Feb 18, 2009
    CEO
    Iceland
    Thanks for the review :) It is great to see you enjoyed playing the game. I just want to add that the iPhone version includes features that are not a part of the online version.

The iPhone game offers some strategy, like pulling symbols towards incoming ones when they've been pulled to the right place on the hexagon. This means additional points, speeds up the gameplay and can be used as part of a strategy when more symbols start to fly in at once.

The iPhone version also supports multi touch, which is useful at later levels, and there are bad symbols that can be blocked by tilting the device.

So there is deffinately strategy and skill involved - but as the mechanic is rather unique, it might be a little hard to classify :)

13. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I just bought it and absolutely love it. Unlike Frenzic, if you screw up in Symbol6, it's your own fault! Its the perfect game for on the go. It gets crazy hectic around level 15 but when you get in the zone, there's no better feeling. All we need is an online leaderboard and the ability to put your name on the high scores. very well done app. worth the $3 for sure.

14. jonasantonsson

jonasantonsson Active Member

Feb 18, 2009
    CEO
    Iceland
    Hey J.R. Jalapeno!

We just updated Symbol6 - online leader boards and names on high scores :)
    Promo price @ 99 cents right now.
    Enjoy!

15. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    Got to Number 7 on the online leaderboard today.

The key to getting a high score is to keep the combo going for as long as you can.

I got 101 in a row. If you **** up early on, it's best to restart.

16. PimpToxie

PimpToxie Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    Here is a copy of my Symbol6 review from a previous thread.

17. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I really love the look and feel of this game and the games are nice and short and perfect for spare moments. The new online scoreboards keep it interesting too, although I wish there was only one score for each person.

As for features I'd love for an update, it would have to be the option to pick your own starting tiles, as well as the option to listen to your own music (a must for any game!)

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I bought this one when it came out. I liked the idea and the visuals.

For a game almost solely about positioning tiles, though, I really think they need to lock into position more securely. When the player misses a match, it is important for him or her to feel like it was "their fault". Numerous times, I slid a tile into place and it snapped back to its origin. I really feel like there should be a larger buffer or "slop factor" around the slot. If there is a potential concern that this change would reduce the level of challenge, I don't believe it is the case, because with solid controls, the difficulty curve could be ramped up. A side benefit would be that player feedback would improve if they snap into place better. This would make the game feel tight and fair, in my opinion.

This is not meant to keep anyone from getting it, as I bought it myself. Just some friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

19. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Yeah its a solid game but the switch mechanism could be better. There are a couple of times I swear I switched correctly but somehow I missed and it went to another slot. Something there is just not accurate enough.