Universal SXPD (by Little Chicken Game Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 18, 2014.

1. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    The concept of this game contributing to a charity (as well as partnering with a studio and - I would assume - sharing the tricks of the trade) is pretty cool. What charity does this support?

2. OneBigGame

OneBigGame New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    In the past we've supported the likes of Save the Children and Starlight Children's Foundation, but we're looking at new charity causes as well. Rest assured your money is spent well and that it is all spent on charity!

3. mattreeder

mattreeder Member

Jun 17, 2013
    On chapter 3, and really enjoying this. Especially like Danzig...er and his devilock. Wonder who he was modelled after lol :p

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #104 chief78, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    That's excellent. I hope you guys inspire other devs to think in the same manner, or atleast provide ways to do some philanthropic activities. Downloading now, as the game looks fantastic, and glad to know this money helps others (and hopefully gives you guys enough support to keep a meal and roof over your heads as well). Kudos! Imps to follow

EDIT: Oh no! It's not universal? Any plans to support iPhone in the future?

5. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Thanks, we hope its received well (this is most important to us, as we also do applied games, so we have a roof and a meal). Supporting the charity is paramount, and for us as devs we'll be most happy if people actually enjoy the game.

6. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    #106 PCKid, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Don't have this yet as strange as it may seem there are certain parts of Western Australia where you can't get a signal. Rest assured when I get home in two days I'll be grabbing this one. But as an older arcade player this is like those games that stole our 20c pieces. Yes that far back. Yes it is frustrating when you keep crashing and have to keep doing the same bit over and over again. But that is the challenge. The satisfaction of finally getting to the end. If you ever owned a Commodore 64 and played Miner 2049er you would know what I mean. Reflexes not as good as in my youth but what the hell insanity is just round the corner. #

7. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    I think australia is ahead of the pack, server and update wise. I'm assuming it should be available and findable when you (wake) woke up.

8. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
  9. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I just completed the story mode and wanted to jump in and say, bonkers game :D

Didn't think I would make that last level, it's so fast, but found myself "in the zone" tonight and it was actually pretty easy in the end :)

Good job on the game, very unique look to it when in motion... not seen anything quite like it!

10. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Thankx, it does have a tendency to get easier after only a short while.

How did you feel about playlength? This seems to be a big critique from the proffesional press. It is indeed still a comic book, in that after you read the first episode once and played it, its done and over.

Did you mind, we actually tried not to over stretch and artificially add extra playtime..We did not think forcing you to play for much longer than you read would necessarily make for a better experience.

would you care for more arcade modes or challenges, or longer chapter gameplay.?
    Or are you ok with it still also being a comic book in consumption length?

very curious to see what you the players would like to change, or add?

11. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Great game with tons of style. Reminds me of a cross between Judge Dredd, Mad World and Frank Miller, which isn't a bad thing. :)

Only at the third chapter at the moment, just had to stop by to bump the thread, as I am really surprised how much better this game turned out to be compared to my expectations. Open world racing at this speed is tons of fun. :-D

12. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Thanks man. Its great to read those impressions. As we're trying to incorporate as much feedback in the next issue, share any criticisms or cool ideas you might have

13. PaulEd7

PaulEd7 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Looks awesome! Will the Universal build support iCloud syncing?

14. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Agree on not needing to artificially make the game longer or pointless repetition. Seeing as the driving ties to the story, there could have been more "different" things to do if there were additions to the story (which isn't what you are suggesting, there is further episodes for that I hope!) but there is nothing that made me think the story wasn't complete as it stands. I mean there could have been some "cruise around and find something", "get to some location in time" or "ram the other bikes" not just chasing and shooting to extend the variety within what you have going here. No the flip side it's unusual for me to have time to complete a game, so it's satisfying that I have for once :)

I'm not so fussed about the arcade challenges so its a bit of a shame it's over now. I am keeping it installed and may have a play around on the arcades stuff as well if I need a bike racing fix, so it's good you added them too!

15. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Indeed, this is the criticism we've taken to hart, more variation.

That said we're hoping the game gains a lot of traction in the appstore the coming weeks, so we can start to focus on the next episode. And get some of the more crazy ideas implemented in the next installment of the story.

That said there are some arcade variations and other things that where developed, but not added. that could be used in one of the coming updates to the existing versions.

But I'd like to hope the next installment will allow for some gameplay that's completely not a bike race, the world, its characters beg for all kinds of cool gameplay.

We also had a lot of discussion of adding interactivity to some of the comic-pages. Things where you could scroll, or tiny tap gameplay inside a comic panel. A store page, inside the comic book for instance. We even tried some of these out, but what seemed to happen is, a lot of people would get confused. They where in storybook mode and not game mode, and it ended up disrupting their reading enjoyment of the comic..

Actually there was a fair bit of lessons learned along the way that made this a rather interesting design journey. Ending up with something a fair bit more "clean" in segmenting and interaction than we initially imagined.

That's not to say that now that we've made a tiny dent in the appstore we wouldn't feel more confident to experiment in a future issue. Which would be great.

16. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Icloud and gamecenter

We do have full gamecenter support already finished and ready to ship.

Icloud isn't done like gamecenter and I must admit you'r the first to request the feature. So it wasn't a big discussion point, but if 1 user requests, there must be hundreds wanting this feature. so:

I'm going to kickstart that discussion with the other devs tommorow. We've done cloudsaving based on social logins in the past, fore-going apple's solution for a more cross-platform option. (save on ipad, continue on android phone;)

But social logins and such are really not where we want to take SXPD, (unless people here want share and like buttons in the app, do you?)

So Icloud :I'll come back on this tomorrow hopefully.

cheerio
    tomas

17. Game is awesome, especially the graphics, wish I had an ipad pro to see how this game would look like as a console game. Would love joystick support too.

18. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    What type of Ipad joystick do you use know? and do you use it a lot?

Ipad pro does sound and look rather cool doesn't it.. We've got all the Artwork nearly at 4K resolution, so whatever new retina standard pops up, we can support it..

19. lainsxp

lainsxp Well-Known Member

May 26, 2014
    I WANT THIS FOR MY IPHONE.. dont have an ipad :( :(

20. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    hahah We're working on it.. I very much hope to have news on this before the week is over.