Universal Swords of Anima - A new tactical turn-based RPG experience

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Singer, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Great and thanks in advance,

2. Oka-mi

Oka-mi Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Damn, that icon made me think we got a new Alien game.. :(

3. Temjin

Temjin Member

Jun 27, 2014
    A quick sketch ;)

[​IMG]

4. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Cool!

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'm a few hours into this now and enjoying it quite a lot. Mainly it's the battles that I enjoy. If you only try to get a victory they can be a bit on the easy side, but if you also always go for the additional challenge objective, they present quite a fun challenge. In Shaun's review, it seemed like his main complaints were that it's a bit on the easy side, and it's not very original. I guess those are problems for people who've played lots of these type of games, but for someone like me who doesn't have much experience with SRPGs, the difficulty and complexity is just right to be fun without being overwhelming, and I'm not going to notice if it's not terribly original because I don't have much to compare it to. The touch controls work very well in battles, and the visuals are attractive and make it easy to see what's going on.

The only real complaints I have are with the dialog. The English translation is a bit rough, but I've never encountered a situation where I couldn't figure out what was being said. The bigger problem is there is too much banter which doesn't contribute anything to advancing the story, and seems to only exist to show the characters' personality and how they feel about each other. Each line is delivered one at a time and you have tap to get to the next line, so tapping through tons of banter like

[a] You stink!
    Well, you don't smell so good yourself
    [a] RRRRR.....
    You're a coward!
    [c] bla bla

gets pretty tedious. Thankfully you can just skip the whole dialog sections if you want by tapping the X in the upper right, but the story is just interesting enough that I can't bring myself to completely skip the dialog on my first play through. But the option is there if you really just want to do the battles.

Overall I'm finding this really fun, and a steal for $3.

6. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    New version 1.1 sent to Apple

Hello there!

We have just sent an update to Apple, this includes:

- A new difficulty level: Hard. For those of you who said it was too easy we have created a hard difficulty. Now when you start a new game you can choose between Normal or Hard .
    - Hit animations. Now 3D characters reacts to hits.
    - Story flow tweaks. We reduced some dialogs of the first maps of the game.
    - Other fixes.

Of all the things you asked for, these were the most wanted for an update. I hope you enjoy these new features.

7. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I've been undecided whether to get this since its release. This level of developer support and customer awareness decides it. Bought :)

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Ohh nice! i was waiting for this! As soon as the hit animations are out, let us know here maybe with a short video also and i'm hitting buy as i said back pre-release!

9. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you!! I'll give it another go :)

10. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    The new version of the game is now in the store :)

11. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Can we have a gameplay video showing the new version animations please?

12. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes ;) Currently we are making a new video, but it's not only about the new animations or just gameplay, but the new animations will appear on it.
    It should be finished in a few days.

13. spenceroony

spenceroony New Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I just downloaded the new version of the game and cannot even get through the tutorial as the attack button will not work. I cannot even make my first attack. I have a fully updated iphone 6 plus. This is a very frustrating bug as the game is completely unplayable.

14. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Hello spenceroony.

Could you describe what's happening?
    When the bug occurs? After push the attack button? Can you select an enemy after?

15. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Did you successfully play the game before the update, or is this your first time trying it? I ask because when I first played it I also thought the attack button didn't work, but it turned out it just wasn't completely intuitive how it worked. When you tap the attack button, the only thing that happens is the squares of any enemies within attack range turn red. You then tap the enemy you want to attack, and a dialog will pop up comparing the stats of your character and the enemy. If you want to go through with the attack you tap the green check mark, otherwise tap the red X to cancel the attack.

16. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    No video yet?

17. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Video on the App Store, though very short

18. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I'm having no problem playing with the attack button. Everything seems to be working fine. The story is much easier to follow! The battle animations are there... Great job!!

I feel like slapping myself. The hard mode is too hard. The normal mode is too easy.

I think there should be an easy - normal - hard progression. The normal as of now should be "easy mode" and then there should be a normal mode. I don't think it is balanced. But that is just my opinion. With some tweaks... I think you have a solid game here.

19. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Celebrating that the Android release of the game will be soon, we are updating the game with a new mode that includes new maps and new enemies.

[​IMG]

As we were focused in the Android release and in this new update, we couldn't finisihed earlier a video we were making for the previous update of the game (v1.1), until now. Here it is:

20. Cebollo

Cebollo Member

Nov 18, 2012
    This thursday (22nd) a new free DLC campaign will be available in the store.

Featuring:
    - 5 new types of enemies: battle zombies, infected, spitters...
    - 4 unique maps with optional Challenges
    - Follow the adventures of your squad after the events on the main Campaign
    - Brand new music tracks
    - New cutscenes and artworks

Trailer:

I hope everyone who enjoyed the original campaign will enjoy this as well :)