Universal Swords & Crossbones: An Epic Pirate Story by Epic Devs LLC

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jsrco, Oct 6, 2015.

1. igorgorina

igorgorina Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    So is this out world wide or only in US and Australia/ NZ ?
    And anyone can give any impression/feeling about the gameplay ?

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Out in UK too

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    It's out in the USA too

4. lemessie

lemessie Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Switzerland too!

5. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Looks like a remake of Epic Pirates Story by the same developers that was released a couple of years back. File size is about double, but a lot of that will be the retina graphics resources. Would love to hear from someone who's played it. Does it need an internet connection to play?
    Have they nailed it this time?

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Just downloaded it.
    Internet connection not needed to play.
    Way too early to comment much on the gameplay except to say it feels like a polished game with no iap's.
    Battles are rather simplistic compared to games like XCOM and FFTactics. Terrain doesnt seem to have any effect on your ability to attack/defend.
    But it can save at any time so a pretty good choice for the mobile platform.

7. JakConstantine

JakConstantine Active Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Male
    Would be better if it had more customisation with the captain avatar. Gender, skin colour, etc would be cool. Odd cause you can name the captain and island.

8. abdsani

abdsani Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Downloaded the game last night, early impressions from me:

Played on iPhone 5 iOS 7

1. I encountered a layout issue when trying to enter the name for the island, might be an iPhone 5 issue. Maybe the devs don't think people use iPhone 5 anymore.

2. The turn based battle seems ok. You can move and act in a single turn. Fast characters can sometimes move twice before a slower character can take his or her turn. As for special abilities, in my first 5 battles, my characters do not have any abilities so I don't know how that's going to turn out. Will post updated impressions when I spend more time in the game.

3. The buttons in the turn based battle feels too small to me. It might be okay for a mouse and cursor interface but for touch interface, buttons seem to be too tiny.

4. There seems to be a noticeable lag when selecting menu options on an iPhone 5 iOS7.

5. There is a village building element in the game which I haven't really gotten in to deep yet. Basically you need to build houses/factories to gain resources and house workers. I'm not really having much fun here. Partly because of the lag when I need to access the build menu and partly because I don't know what I would get from this.

Overall, I'm a big fan of turn-based games, despite the minor flaws that I have mentioned, I will spend more time playing the game. Maybe it will get better with time.

Will try to post updated impressions later!

9. abdsani

abdsani Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Example of a layout issue:

I'm supposed to enter my island's name here.

I'll send my feedback to the dev later too, this game has potential, it just needs slightly more polish for a mobile release.

Attached Files:

10. abdsani

abdsani Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Played the game on iPhone 6 iOS 9.0.2

The menu option lags as well on an iPhone 6. It's making the game feels like a chore now.

Sorry to say, this is very disappointing. I won't be playing this game anymore until this gets fixed.

Expected better from a premium game.

11. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Saw this is currently on sale for $1.99.
    Hadn't heard much about the game since the whole "is it really released".

Any impressions?

12. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I noticed the price drop and also that it was updated. Can anyone say if this is worth a damn now?

13. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #53 Collin, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    For $1.99, I decided to jump.

I've just started it on the iPad, and my very first request is that they move the block where you enter your character name and island name up so it isn't half covered by the keyboard.

Back to the game.

14. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #54 Collin, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Barely through the first dialog event, and it's taken on a sexist tone.

"Can you be considered a woman if you are 200 years old?"

"Can you be considered a man if your balls haven't dropped yet?"

"How is it that half my crew are women?"

"You agree to let one or two into the interview as a laugh, then before you know it..."

Sigh.
    ---

That's a twist. It turns out my character is female. I didn't know that when I named her "Jimbo". Interesting...
    ---

I've played through the first two missions, saved the gunner and captured the farm. The game is growing on me.

The combat does seem to be pretty inflexible though. In the last fight I tried to see if terrain or elevation had any effect on the fighting, but from what I could tell it didn't matter if I was on a road, in the grass, or above my opponent.

There isn't an option to guard that I've been able to find yet either. Unless this changes later on, I feel like the fights are going to be trading blows and making sure you have enough healing items on hand to outlast your enemies.
    ---

Elevation does matter if it's high enough, in that you can't attack someone below or above you unless you have a ranged weapon.

15. wedeling

wedeling New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    building error

this game onIOS has building error

16. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    So, like, this is free now.