Universal Swordigo (by Touch Foo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woohoooooo! I just saw the update today and im excited as hell to play again!

2. olon97

olon97 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Free again.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  4. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I am not going to update until I know what the free game entails

5. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    One of the best ever.

6. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    It's all spelled out in the update notes. ;)

7. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Ok ad removal and coin doubler guess I'll go ahead and update

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #548 syntheticvoid, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    I did not have the game installed before the update, but I did have a cloud save. So I got the coin doubler and no ads.

I dunno if it'll work if you didn't have a cloud save and did not already have the game installed before the update.

**edit**
    Just installed it on a device that isn't connected to my iCloud account, and got the doubler for free (in the inventory menu, top right corner). So... YAY!!! Thank you, Touch Foo, for handling a paid to free conversion INCREDIBLY well! =oD
    Hope it works out for ya!

9. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    they should just release it as an other free game, not update the paid version.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #550 metalcasket, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Release a free version 4 years after the paid version? Nah, not really. I think Touch Foo handled this perfectly.

11. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Do you know?
    there's no argurment in your statement...

release a free version after 4 years? Yes, really.

Did I convince you now?

Handling it perfectly would have been an other version that do not put any constraints AT ALL on their paid users.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    What constraints? Name one thing that's been added to the game or taken away that you have/don't have anymore. What changed?

13. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Nothing changed for me whatsoever. I think they handled it fine. It's a damn good game. I'm glad I paid for this game.

Billy

14. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    The price.
    The doubler means they certainly changed the difficulty somehow
    download an update that brings NOTHING to me but the inconvenience of wondering how the game has changed.
    A possible risks that the update does show ads somehow because of a bug.
    A possible change in the futur that do ads for everyone.

This is not what i'll call a perfect handling of a paid to freemium switch.
    A totally new application would have brought me none of the concerns and possible gameplay changed.

so these are constraints to my eyes.
    If you are happy with such a system, no wonder this kind of things happen again and again.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You're really railing against the wrong devs/game here. Touch Foo has handled this as well as they could have. There are no balancing changes for those who purchased the game. Everything else you've listed is a possibility for *every single* game in the AppStore. They all have the possibility of not selling well and going free with ads to try and recoup costs.

But assuming the worst instead of showing a modicum of understanding (or respect for that matter) to a small group of guys who have *obviously* supplied you with *hours upon hours* of enjoyable entertainment for a *very* small price is never the way to go about things.

Bottom line - if you're that opposed to it, don't update it.
    It's that easy.
    You can even save a backup of your IPA and be able to play it until an OS update breaks it.

Just like every other game...

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    SyntheticVoid did the "radical test", which is installing the new version of the game on a clean device without cloud save, and it worked. If they changed monetization so that the coin doubler is worth it, then there shouldn't be a problem because you're getting the coin doubler. As I see it, it's as perfect as it can be: flawless and with all the premium IAP for free for those who bought it (or as me, had it from one of those free promotions they made).

I understand your point regarding two versions, since I myself prefer a premium IPA backed up on my computer rather than a F2P turned premium via IAP. The problem is Apple: they don't want two versions of the same apps. Somewhere in the Horizon Chase thread this was discussed because they did the change from premium to F2P with a premium IAP, but they had problems and not all the previous premium users as me got the IAP for free. I suggested the very same thing you want, but in the end Apple doesn't like it, so turning the app to F2P is the only option for these devs.

Therefore, Swordigo devs did the migration correctly IMO, my guess is that by adding to their IAP database the info of all the users who had bought the game legally when it was fully premium. Apple keeps a record, so I'm pretty sure they can supply the list in an encrypted archive so that this can be done.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I am, and encourage all developers who wish to change their pricing models to do the same as both Touch Foo and the Horizon Chase guys. They respected paying costumers, and that's a very hard to thing to say developers do these days.

Look, I get your reasons for having a problem with this, but it could have been waaaaaaay worse. We could have either not been given anything in return for being long time supporters, or they could have done the old school "Here, have some consumable coins!" which you never see again.

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    People complain about everything. Some can never ever be happy and look always on the worst side of everything.

That's why we can't have nice things.

19. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    He is right, for those moaning and whining and complaining and what-not, the way they handled it's pretty darn good. There could have been plenty of ways to disrespect the original purchasers/supporters, instead they chose to think about what they could do to make it both right to them and attract a new base of players - by going free.

Thanks Touch Foo for the way you handled it, keep up the good work!

20. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York