Sword & Poker

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Jan 7, 2010.

1. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

You are right about that. However, the weapon is available in the game and can be afforded with a minimum amount of grinding. I think some tweaking of its abilities (particularly the paralysis aspect, combined with use of the Chaos spell) is called for.

And this is still one of my 5 or 10 favorite Iphone games. Maybe offering different levels of difficulty is the answer.

Does anyone know whether future updates are planned?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    True, but someone going through this game for the first time isn't going to know that the last few levels are going to be a cakewalk because of that shiny new sword they just picked up. Difficulty levels should always be at or above what is obtainable at a particular point in a game (excepting situations where someone does a lot of grinding - most games expect you do a little grinding...)

3. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Well, I just finished the game without using the Excalibur, and so now I'm going to do a little grinding to get it and see how much easier it is with it. Even without Excalibur, I didn't really lose much at all. I love the idea of this game, and it was well worth my 99 cents and much more. It would be nice to have an extreme/advanced setting to make it more challenging. For 99 cents though, I'm not asking for anything more. It's a fabulous game as is.

4. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Geez you really don't even need Excalibur...I sure didn't. The Kotatsu sword, Master shield and chaos spell are all I needed to very easily finish up the last several levels. Which only further proves your point that yes, a bit too easy at the end. Shame too since the difficulty ramp was spot-on prior and a real addictive challenge. Not that much fun now to go back and grind for the Excalibur and elite shield as there's nothing else to do. Hopefully the game really sells well and we get more levels (I'd pay for a good sequel even).

5. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I was gonna grab this today but just noticed that the price rose to 3.99 o.o... Will have to wait for sale/get something else. Such a shame, this looked interesting, bad luck struck again :(

6. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    lol. you should have already gotten it. but its definitely worth 4 dollars:)

7. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    I know I should, but like, yesterday was my app buying day, and I forgot this one :( . And it might be worth 4 dollars but I already spent my share >.o. I'm a sad, sad TAer, lol.

8. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    How many levels this game has? I am on level 34...

9. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    36 floors:)

10. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    lol. i think it will go down if you ask me. almost everyone who wanted it got it for 1 buck. now, there wont be many sales for it, especially at 3 dollars more expensive (lol). if you have other games, play them until a sale. thats what i often do. i have a lot of awesome, cheap games that i can spend my time with until a more expensive game i wanted has a sale. :)

11. justingamer

justingamer Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Game Impressions

this game rocks

12. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    lol thanks!

13. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks. And yes, that's pretty much what I'll do, and remember to not ever miss sales :(. And yes a 3 dollar increase is a lot unfortunately. Will have to wait the other ones I got yesterday :D

14. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Love this game, I'm still playing it. As the levels go on, it keeps getting better and better.

15. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    that happens a lot in the app store world. sometimes you strike big on a sale, you feel great. other times you miss the sale and have to wait. and the worst, is when you get a game and a sale arrives for it soon after. :rolleyes:

16. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks, look like I could finish the game before saving enough tokens to buy the best sword....

17. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Ya, been there for all the cases, I guess they just cancel each other out and you end up paying the same :p

18. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    Ya same here. Sometimes, i try to hold myself back from a game until a sale because I know I have plenty of ges to play. But I often lose. Just like today. I love point and click adventures. And I couldn't go too much longer without beneath a steel sky on my phone, so I caved.

19. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    @.@ Just held off buying this because price went up and went ahead and impulsively bought 3 other apps (.99 all, sales all) but still, I was supposed to be saving D:. Oh the pockets... slowly draining.

20. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Just bought this game recently and very addicting to play and easy to use, reminds me kinda of Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest, but with Poker moves and the music is definitely Dragon quest-esque...found myself, just listening to the song, rather than fighting some times. My question is, how many level are in the game and will there be a Sword and Poker 2, or even a larger game with more sub-levels or a huge overworld map. I definitely see this game being expanded in more ways than one, but I love it so far..very addicting.