Sword & Poker

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Jan 7, 2010.

1. BulletGoose

BulletGoose Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #81 BulletGoose, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Ok I will try the very first boss, there is definitely no blue square I look like multiple times hoping it would appear :(

Edit: I vs'ed the boss on floor 5 and all I got was a red gem, I am pretty sure he is the first boss?

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Weird. You're supposed to get your first magic after that boss. Did you fight every monster out there?

3. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I didn't think you got majic until level 10

4. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Amazing game and I didnĀ“t like poker and I am learning the rules with this game. Perfect mix (poker+RPG)

5. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Great game but there are a few niggles...

1/ When I'm looking at the board deciding what move to make the display eventually dims then goes off as if I want the phone in standby. Is it possible to overcome that?
    2/ Cannot access shop at start of a level if I accidently select start game beforehand.
    3/ The 3x3 grid you must use should be highlighted somehow so when cards are being laid it's easier to see.
    4/ Icons for magic etc need a pop-up description when you tap on them.
    5/ Make the graphics between clubs and spades clearer on picture cards.

6. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009

1) Um...how long do you spend looking at the board?

2) From the map screen, hit the upper left button to bring up a menu and select "Restart Floor." That will take you back to the shop.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL

1/ When I'm looking at the board deciding what move to make the display eventually dims then goes off as if I want the phone in standby. Is it possible to overcome that?
    Unless the dev adds code specifically to stop that (devs rarely do) then you need to head to the Settings app and turn off Auto Lock

2/ Cannot access shop at start of a level if I accidently select start game beforehand.
    Part of the challenge is that you can't shop mid level. However if it's an accident you can hit "Restart Floor" and it will take you back to the floor select and shop screen

3/ The 3x3 grid you must use should be highlighted somehow so when cards are being laid it's easier to see.
    When you place your first card the game dims everything and highlights the row you are creating

4/ Icons for magic etc need a pop-up description when you tap on them.
    Not a big issue for me cause when I'm editing my magic plate I know all the magic. It would be nice to know an enemies magic but its all part of the strategy (just like you can't know what abilites an enemy posses until you fight them)

5/ Make the graphics between clubs and spades clearer on picture cards.
    I fully agree with this one. I have a hard time with the face cards with their tiny symbols

8. Revlisoft

Revlisoft Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    More levels and bigger bosses. Basically more of everything please! I'm so hooked I'm almost done! :)

9. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Yes and DLC and a future iPhone game, I love Sword & Poker!!

10. lacedolphin

Jul 19, 2009
    I'd love to see them update with tons more levels, I'm hooked on this game

11. BulletGoose

BulletGoose Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #91 BulletGoose, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Up to floor 13 still no blue spell thingy :(

Any chance you get another "magic plate" later on? I think the first one glitched

12. lacedolphin

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm on level 23 and have 3 plates now. Make sure you are killing everything on each level before moving on.

13. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Just chiming in to say how I enjoyed this little game.

I havent been buying games from the appstore these past 2 weeks due to the crappy releases and deluge of 99c and free craplets that I cant be bothered to sort through.

But thanks to toucharcade, the occasional gems like this came up to my attention.
    If I were to rely only on apples hot list or the horribly designed appstore interface, this game would have been buried under all the craplets in a second!
    Id even go so far as saying that this is more fun than puzzlequest... but maybe thats because I have played countless hours of match 3 gem sliders.

But I think everyone pretty much agrees at 99c, its simply a must buy.

14. mmadden2

mmadden2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Is this the quickest loading, no BS game ever? I love being able to jump in, beat one guy, and back to whatever I was doing without a bunch of complicated saving or lost progress. Super game!

15. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    The music in this game seems so familiar. Does anyone hear a similarity to the Final Fantasy Tactics music? If not the original tactics, the DS tactics games?

Like, it's spot on for me, it sounds SO much like tactics music.

16. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Some of the sound effects are suspect to another video game I used to play

17. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    What a great 99cents app! The actual poker gameplay works very well and rpg elements add a lot to the game.
    Like many others, got my first spell and magic blue plate after the boss in dungeon 5. The blue plate is automatically placed in your inventory screen so you just need to drop any available spell on top of it.

18. nidreu

nidreu Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #98 nidreu, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    yeah, the music is definitely ripped from another game.

It is a very fun game. Im trying to save up money for the excaliber and top shield, a lot of replay value, which I like.

edit:

Got the excaliber. Combined with the Chaos skill, you are unstoppable, I never take hits on floors 30+ using it, unless the enemy is immune to paralysis.

19. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Yup. I just finished the last boss. Have myself the top shield too. Nice little game, very engaging.

20. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    Okay so this game is simply amazing. It is worth the $1 for sure... I was hesitant but I am just stunned from how much fun I'm having with it.