Sword & Poker

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Lol, you know, I get your argument, I've read it tons of times, it IS getting old.

My answer to that is, yes, that is true, but you're messing with people's perceptions. It is way easier to pull a 1.99->3.99 increase than a 0.99 -> 3.99. They got greedy, because they though it was worth at least .99 for a long time, then they realized it was worth more, and pushed it +3 dollars. That messes up the whole customer perception of price for 2 main factors:

1. How many people got it for .99? Every customer wants to be one of those customers
    2. Increasing the price that much makes it comparable to 4.99-6.99 titles, place where there are far superior titles, making this a friggingly awesome .99 game, but 3.99, well, you need to think it a LOT more.

(that probably messes up customer perception in more ways than that... but, those 2 are the ones that came to mind faster).

For a nice pricing increase strategy, see Space Miner.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    A poor marketing strategy doesn't make them greedy. Gotta watch what you say, this is the internet.

3. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Well, yes, bad use of words. But you gotta admit that price rise wasn't that well analyzed, giving a pretty bad perception on the reason and magnitude of the price rise. If you ask me, how many games are actually tagged 3.99? I think they tried to push it beyond the originally planned 2.99(speculation), at which point less people would doubt the purchase.

Oh and, if there is a place where people DON'T have to watch what they say, is the internet, not the other way around :p

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well in the internet you have evidence that they said this not just your word for it.

Yeah I think they really hurt themselves by raising the price so much. They should've kept it at .99 in fact or started at 2.99. They were in the top 100 when they were at .99but then increasing the price made them drop out very quickly and steeply. I really wish it had gotten that numero uno spot so they could've had incentive and money to add online multiplayer.

5. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Flame on, duuudes.

6. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Well, I don;t know about online multiplayer (since most games, no matter how good, never ever implement it, sadly), but I'd really like another .99 sale for them to try and reach the top again, and for me to be able to get it :p

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I haven't read through the entire post so I don't even know if the dev is here but I just want the developers to know how much of a fantastic game this is. Very original when compared to most of the junk in the app store I'm not really a fan of poker but everything about this game just pulls me in and keeps me addicted.

As I said I didn't read through all the post but I see people complaining about the pricing. I am very happy to pay $3.99 for the game, I'm loving every minute of it.

8. Ricinator

Ricinator Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    i've been looking at this game for while now, but just a question: will it be fun if i don't know how to play poker very well? I know the basic rules, but is basically just poker but with rpg elements?

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    WHy don't you just try the lite version?

10. Ricinator

Ricinator Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    ooooh thanks. Didn't know that lol:p Will do

11. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Yeah it's fine. It doesn't have that much to do with Poker.

12. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Agreed. Maybe there's a 50% chance of paralysis? Or it can only work once every three turns? Even the 2nd best sword is pretty good, as you can probably get a straight almost every turn and paralyze your opponent.

Still an excellent game.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is this back down to a reasonable price yet? :p

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I was thinking the same way you are about this game at first, I was kinda mad that I didn't take advantage of the $.99 price before it went up. But then I played the lite version and I got hooked, this is seriously a really good game. I bought the full version right away after I finished the lite, no regrets.

15. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    It is still $3.99 I think but it is well worth it. It is hard to recommend App Store games as they see price drops so often but I have to admit I am more than happy to pay the full price for the game.

16. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Awaiting a price drop again :(

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    On sale now for 1.99$. Anyone how loves RPGs, Fantasy and Poker (and missed it until now) should get it!

18. Deadpoolite

Deadpoolite Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Highly recommended. This is an awesome game. For me the best news about the sale is that it's to promote the release of Sword & Poker 2, which is apparently coming soon. Gonna buy the sequel day one.

19. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Did I read that right? :eek:

Did they say they were working on Sword & Poker 2? If so I agree, this would be a day one purchase. :D

20. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Heck ya to sword and poker 2, cannot wait