Universal Sword Of Xolan (by ALPER SARIKAYA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 20, 2015.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL, I have to agree. Only difference is, I made it through the first boss, but the second is just unbeatable and I don't have such patience to try over and over. It just frustrates me. It's actually a shame, because I had a lot of fun with every other stage there. But as raumich said, I deleted the game as well. I just don't wanna ruin my experience with the game because of ridiculously difficult (and from my point of view quite unbalanced) boss fight. That being said, it's still 5 stars game, there's no doubt about that!

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Like many other games, the bosses all have recognizable patterns. If you pay attention to how they move and when they attack, it just takes some practice to beat. I don't understand when people give up and delete a game as soon as it gets challenging.

The second boss isn't so bad (took me 3 attempts) but of course everyone is different. Hope you give it another shot. :)

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Huh? It works perfectly on mine. If you mean you sometimes are not jumping of correctly, tis the controller or your fault pressing either left or right while unknowingly pressing down too, which are the commands for dropping off thin platforms.

The game controls on Touch and MFi is perfect on my end.

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    The control is tight and very responsive
    The boss fight isnnot too bad
    iMO they’re quite easy. Just learn the attack pattern and you’re good to go

Took me 2 tries for the 2nd and 3rs boss

Ianthedev planned any new level? #

5. duh_d_dum

duh_d_dum Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought this game was fairly easy compared to the other platform games I've played on iOS. The one thing I had difficulty with was beating a certain stage in under 2 mins. The bosses have a pattern they follow. Once you get that it's easy-peasy. = )

6. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I have played the first few levels and the quality of execution of this App is amazing. the controls, the onboarding tutorials, the pixel feel. Just awesome.

The developers can be very proud of themselves. If they listen to fan feedback (boss fights etc.) and maybe make it scalable difficulty to please everyone, then they will be on a good path.

The price seems odd though. Speaking from experience it is frustrating to think that a certain price point may inhibit people trying it, but I think they should charge US$2.99 and get a LITE version out to let people play around and see if they like it.

7. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Oh, I recognize the pattern, I guess I'm just not skilled enough to keep the pressure. I tried multiple times, more than 10 and I didn't even bring his healthbar to half value. Under different circumstances I'd probably try more, but it's just not worth it in this case. I'm just too frustrated. As I wrote on multiple occasions, I'm just a casual player. If there was an option to lower the difficulty for the boss fights, everything would be different. Anyway, I had a lot of fun. It's a no-brainer considering its ridiculously low asking price. It's a 5 star game and I'm glad I was able to progress that far. Now I can fully focus on beating opponents in Capitals again;)

8. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Pressing jump while holding left or right doesnt always work and thats frustrating.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's because you arent pressing just right or left... You are pressing left+down or right+down. Get the difference?

Pressing down+jump is dropping down platforms, and that is why you arent jumping.

It's not the app's fault if you cant adjust to your controller. ;)

10. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Anybody know the dev will add a content update in the future?
    Already got all the achievemnt
    And will delete it to free some space #

11. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I don't get what the hell are you guys talking about, you want challenge then by all means try Goblin Sword, especially in later levels. Sword of Xolan is fun and relatively easy, including boss battles and time challenges. A casual can breeze through it in less than 4 hours. :rolleyes:

12. raumich

raumich Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Germany
    That's right! I have been casualized in the last years. I want to relax while I'm playing. My "I play the same level over and over again" days are long gone.

13. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I am going to give it a try next. I watched the Appspy review and it looks like a lot of the enemy behavior and obstacles from that game were copied right in to Xolan. Of course, Goblin Spy didn't invent a lot of that stuff either but some of the things in Xolan are almost exactly the same.

14. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    it looks like you are right. i dont like how the controls are implemented then :cool:
    maybe it would be easier to handle if th d-pad would work, but it doesnt :(

15. bigmonkeynads

bigmonkeynads Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Ok. Help please. I'm not using a mfi controller. It's just an iPhone 6.

Fresh download..tried to play a game. Shows 'press x to play' at title screen which I thought was strange. Once in game. I have no on screen controls. I cannot move the character..basically I can do SWEET FA in game.

Any ideas???

16. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Restart your device maybe?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Maybe the dev can add an option to choose from default MFi conntrol to one which removes the down+jump combo and replace it with a different dedicated button to drop down.

That seems to be the best solution.

18. thelistener

thelistener Member

Sep 25, 2013
    #158 thelistener, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Great, great game. There hasn't been a platformer to hold my attention like this in a while.
    I'm a little jealous of the folks who find it easy! It's not impossible by any means, but I'm not whipping through the levels either. Basically stuck on 2-6 at the moment. It is fun enough I'm not giving up though.
    It reminds me of more of a Contra or even Mega Man game in a way - each level has a pattern, and it's ok to take it slow. It's a huge change coming off the Sonic games lol.

19. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    I beat the second boss in one try, way easier than any of the Goblin Sword bosses. You're not supposed to hit the boss more than once, platformer bosses are always hit and run. One snowball = jump once, two or more snowballs = jump twice, that's it.
    The "show hints at hidden areas" bonus doesn't work properly. I was at a hidden area and it certainly didn't show a ?, but it did show a ? at a few others.

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It only shows one hint, not all of them.