Universal Sword Of Xolan (by ALPER SARIKAYA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 20, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I like this thread. :)

2. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Beat it tonight.

Pretty damn easy, which is unfortunate.

Otherwise... it was a damn fantastic jaunt. A short one, though.

Graphics are very nice. Sound design is very nice. Gameplay is very... impeccable. Went back and tried out Goblin Sword and immediately i saw the controls weren't as tight as Xolan.

In any case, for platform vets this one is a cakewalk. Still a blast, though.

And i see myself going back through the levels just because.

5/5

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ah, yeah, you've got a point there.
    I tried the game on my iPhone yesterday, and I missed the jump button and occasionally even slid my thumb to far to the right, and missed the movement buttons.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ka-chow! ;)

5. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I think it adds to the challenge. A good thing would be to make checkpoints optionnal with an achievement for thoes who opt out of them. Kinda like Shovel Knight or Mutant Mudds.
    That way everyone is content.

6. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I feel like an idiot not being able to find the 3rd chick on the 1st level. Ashamed.

7. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Run into every wall. There's always at least 1 prisoner hidden through a wall.

8. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    #88 new_ipodtouch5G_owner, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Since i was not familiar with platformer games, was suggested that there are 100's available, but i wasn't sure where to start.
    Based on all the very positive comments in the upcoming section for Sword Of Xolan, i decided to wait for the release.

I am so glad that i decided to buy Sword Of Xolan (also very happy that there is no IAP). The game is very reminiscent of my early NES years. The controls are great, the artwork is fantastic, and i really enjoy the voice-over.

I would definitely recommend picking up Sword Of Xolan.

Don't feel bad gmattergames, i also haven't found the 3rd person yet (are we allowed to ask for a hint/clue?)

Thanks for the tip chief78.

9. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    6 hours later and I've beaten the game and all time challenges. 100% completion, including all of the achievements. What a great experience, I just wish there was more of it. The real challenge is only in Act 3 but then it ends abruptly. I REALLY hope the developer adds extra levels to the game.

10. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I kind of wish I didn't get the "hint for hidden places" card as I enjoy the exploration. Any way to deactivate?

Also wish you could keep the coins you earned even if you die.

Perfect otherwise.

11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I was hesitant about this game. I was on the fence to grab it mostly because of my unpleasant experience with similar pixel style platformer Rex Rocket and its extreme difficulty that didn't match my liking at all. But after reading a few comments here about game being easy (even though the location of checkpoints is sparse at best), I just grabbed it a few moments ago. I finished first two stages in Act1 only but I had to come here and praise the game as soon as possible. What a masterpiece! In comparison, I enjoyed Devious Dungeon 2 a few weeks ago, but I just love Sword of Xolan. It's just fantastic. Highly recommended. Definitely a nominee for upcoming GOTW thread. Very well done!

12. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Yeah Rex Rocket is definitely for the more hardcore platforming audience.. This was a tad to easy for me and didn't enjoy nearly as much as RR.. Cool little game though and most definitely worth a buck..

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I'm sorry, I started to die frequently and it seems the checkpoints aren't working. Actually, is that stick I'm standing next to on the screenshot below the checkpoint? And if so, do I need to activate it somehow? Because whenever I die, I'm losing my progress and starting from the scratch in current stage. Am I doing something wrong?

[​IMG]

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    So many damsels, so little time. :D

15. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    In addition to everything else, the soundtrack for this game is awesome. I especially love it when I bust up an enemy and it says "Xolan is in the house"

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There are no checkpoints. You just start over every time.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Uhm, thanks for clarifying. I was under impression there are multiple checkpoints throughout each stage. So it shares the same game mechanics with Devious Dungeons 2. Hopefully the game's not gonna become too difficult in later stages like the other one. We'll see...

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #98 Matt33, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    This is my only issue with the game. Would be great if you could deactivate individual card abilities, or be able to see what they are before buying. I definitely would've saved that one for last after beating the game.

For both Act 2 and 3, I've gotten the "all treasure chests" achievement prematurely after 5 levels.

19. snKnight

snKnight Member

Nov 19, 2014

I've got a post up with all the cards you can get visible, so you can make the decision in advance. Won't post the image here because SPOILERS but here's a link:

http://knightofsnow.com/blog/sword-of-xolan-cards

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Awesome! Thanks for this. I'll definitely use it from now on.