Universal Sword Of Xolan (by ALPER SARIKAYA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 20, 2015.

1. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    My impressions so far.

The game is super fun, albeit being short (30 levels and 3 bosses - not including the time challenge levels). I really like the one liners when he defeats enemies and picks up potions/hearts, it certainly adds a cool layer to the game.
    The gameplay resembles that of Goblin Sword, some of the mobs/traps and hidden areas will give you a sense of deja-vu, although at times they are cleverly done.
    When it comes to sound and visual aesthetics, I would have to say that Sword of Xolan nails it completely - a pure joy!
    There are 10 upgrades in total (each costs 1500 gold) and so far I would say they are easily obtainable. I'm currently in Act 3 - Level 7 and I've unlocked 7 of them without much grinding. I would like to note that there are no armor/sword variations or any kind of gear customizations, something I hope the developers will take note in future updates (hopefully).
    I'd rate difficulty to be moderate, the game starts slow as you can breeze through Act 1 in half an hour tops, then picks up midway Act 2 and the real challenge is definitely in Act 3 where enemies become tougher and more varied.

All in all, an incredible experience that any side-scrolling RPG/Goblin Sword fan will enjoy. And for the price of $.99 with no IAP it is a no brainer - GRAB IT NOW!

As for suggestions for future content updates:

1. At least 10-20 more levels. The game is rather short!
    2. Different armor upgrades, new characters.
    3. Some minor performance bugs fixes.

2. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I love platformers, but generally still play them mostly on the console due to lack of tight controls on iOS. The controls here are amazing. I can't even express how impressed I am with how tight they are. I was just playing the Star Wars platformer a few days ago and deleted due to shoddy controls. This is worlds ahead of that. For a buck I consider it easily the best value of any game I have purchased recently.

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Can't find 2nd villager in Act 2 level 1. Any help?

4. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Game making is an art. Making great games isn't easy. If it was easy, nobody would care about it.

If making great funk/pop was easy, we'd all be Michael Jackson.

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    "Arcadelife verdict: This is pretty much a perfect touch-screen action platformer. I’m not saying it’s a perfect game, or that the iOS devices can finally rival PCs or consoles with this game, just read the sentence and understand it for what it is. There are 30 adventure levels, 3 bosses and 9 speed-run challenge levels. There are permanent upgrades that you buy (with in-game gold) by paying to turn over random cards in the card shop. It’s more fun than you deserve, particularly at the low price point."

10/10

Link to the full review: https://arcadelife.wordpress.com/2015/05/21/sword-of-xolan-review-ios-universal/

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #66 Qwertz555, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    I couldn't think of an easier and better platformer for any casual/newbie gamer to get them into this genre. The levels and the game's length is just perfect, and so are the controls.

Unfortunately, this means for the Pro's out there (and here), it could be a bit underwhelming in difficulty. At level 21 finally, things spiced up...phew.

I dare to speak for most of us:
    Please let this game be a success and that new levels will be added in a not to far future. If they're free, so be it, but Devs, please consider to implement a donation button. I feel a bit ashamed having paid only one buck for such an amazing labor of love!

Forgot to say, if you don't want to make the game easier, simply don't buy the cards/powerups.

7. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    This game brings back lots of Goblin Sword memories.

8. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Awesome game! Definitely my pick of the week. My only request would be to have the keys adjustable because I need more spacing. I inadvertently hit some of the action buttons. A minor quibble for an enjoyable game. Hopefully we'll get more levels soon!

9. Sandalfo

Sandalfo Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    loved and played through goblin sword.
    started playing sword of xolan.
    both games feel really similar.

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    It's a nice game overall with neat gfx, very responsive controls, and pretty good level and enemy design. However the lack of checkpoints is annoying, levels can be quite lengthy so replaying sections and needing to collect the hidden characters can get dull. I think you also lose all the coins you collected in a level when you die.

11. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Games is amazing i have both goblin sword and this they are both great and for two bucks for both u cant go wrong ###########

12. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    They aren't all that familiar but ok #

13. treasurestudio

treasurestudio Well-Known Member

Proper little gem of a game this. Totally nailed the controls, can't think of a game that's played this well in a long time.

Graphics are really nicely done, great little details.

Deserves to get some limelight.

14. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Yea I played through goblin sword as well this games controls feel much tighter to me

15. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Would happily pay more for this game if it hade icade support.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You must have missed the option screen...Buttons are adjustable...

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I think he means the size, because that's the huge issue I have. The buttons are too small, on the iPhone at least. I keep halting mid-movement because my thumb slides off, or miss attacks or a jump because I mis-tap.

It's not a problem 80% of the time but the other 20% of the time it gets me killed.

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Not tried it yet with my controller but just to add my name to the party, this is fabulous! Lots of hidden stuff to find. Controls are spot on. This is a crime to be sold for a dollar. Any platform junkie needs to grab this. I love it!

6 out of 5 stars!!! :D

19. aDub

aDub New Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Web developer
    Eugene, OR
    Perfect game to play on my Logitech Powershell I recently purchased for $12.75 thanks to TouchArcade!

20. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah there is a definitive difference between this and Goblin Sword. I like it....getting a Tolkien vibe from this that I've been missing for a long time. The music, coupled with the fantastic voice acting for the hero really sets this apart.....besides the awesome graphics and execution of controls. I also agree, a total steal for a $1. I raise u a star.....7 out of 5 stars. 7 I say!