Sword of Fargoal: iPad or iPod Touch (3rd gen)?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tecwrtr, Sep 2, 2010.

1. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    After seeing all of the great reviews, I'm trying to decide which version to buy. In the screenshots, the iPhone version looks better, but is it nicer to use on the larger iPad screen?

Thanks for any advice! :)

2. ccrider

ccrider Active Member

Oct 30, 2008
    ipad

Not TOO much of a difference in general graphic quality, save the menus and icons, but iPad version gives you more screen real estate (when iPhone is 2x, it still doesn't quite fill the screen).

I have both and would go iPad for sure. Version 2 is coming soon too apparently. Can't wait!

Great game btw. Check out the forums at their website for info, hints, etc.

http://forums.fargoal.com

3. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    So does the iPad version look as good as the iPod version?

One more question - how does this differ from 100 Rogues? Is it better?

Thanks again!

:)

4. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    IMHO the iPad version of Fargoal looks better than the iPhone version.

As to your second question I prefer Fargoal to 100 Rogues but I'm sure others but feel differently.

5. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Sword of Fargoal for iPad, and generation 3+ iPod and iPhone 3G, has the HD graphics support (gen2 and lower haven't enough memory). So you get the smooth 2x graphics, as well as an option for "chunky" mode which gives it a more retro look.

On iPad the native scaling is definitely nicer, but you still will get the HD graphics with the iPhone version on the iPad, albeit scaled up 2x like all other iPhone games are.

As for 100 Rogues, Rogue Touch, Cavern, and all the other roguelikes... Well I like to say just get 'em all, because it's a very rich genre, and all of these games have different things to offer in their dungeons. :)