GameClub Sword of Fargoal (by Fargoal, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    lacuml, they take it down... always... the further from the dungeon entrance, the better! Does that help?

MelloJello, good point. Lots of stuff to consider for updates. :)

2. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Wow! Eraser74,

It warms my heart to hear you say that! I think you will only like it even more as you see how we are approaching this game. I'm sure that you can tell there is a lot of love and care that went into creating the game, and we really want to have it feel like it can be enriched with each new version.

As you probably read, Paul and Elias are working on a minor update for as soon (as can be approved) over the weekend. But the new "Episode" update will have even more great stuff! New icon, new special features, new in-game things -- and likely based around a "theme" of some sort.

So we hope you will find that you will continue to enjoy it over time!

Sincerely,

Jeff McCord
    www.fargoal.com

PS: May we quote you?

3. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Can someone just explain to me the appeal to this game. I personally like rpg's like pokemon and zenonia as well as some strategy games like warfare inc, chess, strategery and advance wars. I'm a bit confused about the game. I've never before heard of a dungeon crawler. My understanding of it is that it plays like a rpg but more emphasis on navigating the dungeon. The only reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in the game but this will be my first leap into this type of game. I've been reading the thread and seen videos but I'm just wondering why some people like this game so much.

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Today, I didn't do anything else besides playing SoF.
    I'm addicted like never before.... :) Sooooo good!

5. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey Ravenlock,

Your comments are much appreciated! We are having a blast creating -- and further enhancing -- this game for you all. For me anyway it harkens back to the day when I was writing the original version for the PET Commodore in the computer room after school. Friends would play it, and suggest spells, traps and treasures to add, and then I would figure out how to put them in.

Please feel-free to do the same here as well!

-- Jeff McCord

6. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I have not been able to put this game down since I got it. All of my free time has gone to playing this game. It is hard to stop because I'm always like, one more floor and then I'll take a break, but once I get to the new floor I find something new and have to keep playing. I eagerly await what you guys have in store for us with the coming updates and I thank you for making such an excellent game for me to play. Keep up the good work and I wish you the best.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I'm sure I'm over simplifying here but I think you could see this game as something like:

Sword of Fargoal is to RPGs as Doodle Jump is to Platformers

(streamlined pick-up and play fun in the vein of its more elaborate counterparts)

It is just a really nice pick-up and play single player (no party) RPG in randomized dungeon levels with no player skills, two basic stats, and just a handful of different equipment items and spells to deal with. While there is a fun pre-story that adds some context to the adventure, once the game starts there is no dialog or plot nonsense to slow you down from your monster busting/treasure hoarding adventures! Even though the game is extremely streamlined, it is far from a push over and once you reach the deeper levels you'll know TRUE FEAR since, in the tradition of many true roguelikes, there is no going back to previous saves once you die. Get sloppy and you'll be starting the game all over from scratch!

8. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    Not to be played with beer!

Thanks The Running Man,

We don't want to eat into your personal life TOO much -- That's the job of WoW and other games of that ilk! However, we are very happy that it has been fun for you so far -- and not putting it down? Maybe a little like salted peanuts. Just don't play it with beer!

Cheers!

Jeff McCord

9. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I put it down long enough to post here:)

10. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    so you go through levels trying to survive, getting health, potions, spells etc. There's monsters and differente weapons. Is there a place where you could be "done" with the story. I realize there's randomized dunegeons so gameplay is...infinite? The whole game seems collecting loot from mosnters and exploring areas...does that about sum it up? Dont get me wrong, I'm still very interested at hearing many members hear how they just cant stop playing, i'm jsut trying to see if its my type of game or something i could get into. I've never been into "roguelike" games. No offense to the developer of this game, but would people say this is a good game to start the "roguelike" genre or rogue touch?

11. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    First-time "dungeon crawler" player?

Hello Onewithchaos,

Very good question -- and the so-called "Roguelikes" or "dungeon crawlers" as you say -- may be an acquired taste for some people. But what I do know is that "Sword of Fargoal" may prove to be an interesting entree into that type of game, because it is designed to be very simple, unencumbered, and intuitive. The "swipe-based" controls allow you to place your finger (or thumb to be exact) anywhere on the screen. Then, you swipe or "nudge" in the direction you want the character to go. The further you push, the faster it moves. That way the controls can be ubiquitous and invisible on the screen.

Anyway, if you decide to give it a go, please post a reply on this forum to tell us what you think! And you can also email us directly at "[email protected]" for other questions and hints for how to play it.

Thanks again, and would love to hear what you have to say!

-- Jeff McCord

12. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    LOL. Good point!

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #113 drelbs, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Very much so.

The game is basic, but far from overwhelming as far as controls/things to figure out/etc.

If you really want to try this out for free and have some time - find yourself a Commodore 64 emulator and a disc image for the original game, and try it out. (Sorry, I won't provide links ;)) No bells and whistles, but essentially the same game.

The game can pretty much be played over and over (and over...) but you "win" if you get back to the top with the sword.

They did a great job revamping a classic game - it will be interesting to see what episodic content they add...

14. SuperSlovak

SuperSlovak Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    oh geez, and i thought dungeon hunter was linear, then this comes along...

15. DaveS

DaveS Active Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I'll have to echo the other comments in this thread. This is without a doubt one of the top five games I have purchased for this platform, and I have actually found myself playing this over Dragon Age: Origins on the PC the past two days (I just don't have the time right now for such a deep game). There is something very addictive about this game, much as Rogue Touch consumed my spare time for months. These types of games seem like a natural fit on this platform and it's neat to see some developer's from the great early days of computer gaming breather some new life into these classics. We actually used to play this game on my friend's Commodore back in the day (I had an Atari and was out of luck). As I recall, it was just as addictive back then.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    "Linear"?

I can see it may not be your cup of tea but I always thought linear meant there is only one way to progress through the game, like on rails...how does that apply here?

By keeping stuff simple with no in-game story some could claim it feels repetitive (which I love as one of the most subjective terms in the world since if you enjoy your line drawing, match 3, or racing game, doing the same shoot over and over can be no end of fun).

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's a remake classic dungeon crawler from 1983, story is "get the sword and come back" what are you expecting?!?

Go back to playing The Quest. :p

18. DaveS

DaveS Active Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Actually there is a PC version of the game that runs just fine under Windows. The graphics are much more basic in nature, but the game play is still there.

19. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hmm? Fargoal isn't about the story, but the journey and exploration. Just like Rogue Touch. Unlike Dungeon Hunter (which I quickly beat and forgot about) you can play a roguelike game over and over for YEARS because the game is completely randomized each time you start a new game....

I got a chance to sit down on a flight today for a couple of hours un-interrupted spelunking in SoF today. I must say one of the things that impresses me the most is the dungeon generation algorithms, and how it can create multiple sections for the same floor connected by hidden passages. Its simply wonderful, you can actually get lost in them :D

After the flight, I had a great phone conversation with Mr. Fargoal himself, Jeff McCord! Very nice guy, he deserves the support of all dungeon crawlers here :)

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If you come in here to piss on our love fest, your gonna feel the rage of us brainwashed cultists, eh?

The more I look at that post by SuperSlovak the more I think it was a little Trollish cage rattling and, right on cue, we come out raging back in a predictable manner.

Hoping we provided SuperSlovak with his chuckle of the day.