GameClub Sword of Fargoal (by Fargoal, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Dec 1, 2009.

1. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    FYI: Light spell helps you see twice as far forward as you walk!

Most of the spells (and potions) begin to reveal their true nature as you use them, and your approach of "try and see" is a great one. I think people are beginning to realize that "Sword of Fargoal" is one of those games you can actually pick up and play without many (or even any) rules and instructions. And the more you play, the more you learn about what things do!

We hope you continue to enjoy! The is much much more to come in future FREE updates...

-- Jeff McCord

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Maybe someone can answer how fast this game eats battery, maybe in comparison with inethack or rogue touch?

3. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    Hi Fargoal,

what if i skipped some floors? for example i was on 2nd floor then I dropped to 9th floor because of the hole on the ground? DO I have to get back to second floor?

4. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

This game is so good. I never played the C64 (or any other) version, but am very into roguelikes.. I love how Fargoal feels very different to other ones I've played. The way enemies take turns even when you don't do anything.. the holes in walls leading to other areas..etc.

I love the graphics and atmosphere.. and the font!

What does the "max performance" setting do? I'm guessing turning it off makes there be a bit more eye candy or something? I can't really tell the difference. Just curious :)

5. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Only if you feel to.
    You don't have to play ALL 20 floors in sequence, but keep in mind that skipping floors means skipping EXP. You'll have to face floor 9 monsters with just 2-floors worth of EXP and items, which may mean death at first encounter.

6. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    @Tuzzo,

Thanks, I always fall for the trap on the ground, now i'm on 9th floor and died because I tried attacking the cloaked enemy :D

7. transcend11

transcend11 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Since this is my first rogue-like... I have a quick question about death.

I had my first death last night on floor 8... this game is perma-death right? So I gotta start over? Seems like this is the case... learned my lesson though ;)

You have a lot of opportunity to flee battles that aren't going your way, I was just careless on a big fat Wyvern who poisoned me :p

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Yes you gotta start over.
    It does give the impression that you could continue.

This is a really well made game. I usually don't like swipe controls but it works well in this game.

9. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    What's with all the burying/digging up gold? Obviously you can only carry so much gold... but what's the advantage of burying it?

10. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    You can go back and dig it up if you've unloaded your gold at the Temple for experience points.

11. RomaTotti10

RomaTotti10 New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Best rogue-like game?

I need some help.

Is Sword of Fargoal better than Rogue Touch?

Which one should I buy?

12. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jeff,
    Thanks for the nod and for being fans of Rogue Touch too! My biggest sin in the '80s was being an Atari guy, so I never got to see the original Sword of Fargoal... now I'm sorry I missed out. Thanks to your work with Madgarden I have the ability to play this Shiny-Retro version of it :D

Sounds like a bit of cross promotion of friends is in order then! I needed a good excuse to overhaul my website anyway, and my next game is too far from complete to give me the urge ;) I'll talk to you about it via e-mail later then!

I may have to pick your brain for some spoilers at some point once I get a bit deeper into the game :)

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Ohhh, that is a very tough question! It's like those threads that ask "what's the best RPG?"...

The answer is not so simple of course. Best suggestion is to get both while they are still on sale, for five bucks you can get the two bests dungeon crawlers in the App Store ($2.99 sale on Fargoal, and $1.99 sale on Rogue Touch)!

The more complicated answer- it depends on how much you value shiny graphics, various in game loot, and so on. Fargoal has used OpenGL to create a beautiful dungeon atmosphere. Rogue Touch sticks to the original Rogue formula, so dungeons are simpler layouts, but still completely random. I think Rogue Touch has the edge in variety of in-game magic and items and equipment right now, and online leaderboards, but Fargoal has plans to add in more to their game later.

Each game has its merits, and fans of the genre would definitely want both. I think you'll find that a lot of people in this thread own both, and can tell you many good things about each game. Final note: I paid for my copy of Fargoal, even though I was offered a promo code as a friendly dev-to-dev gesture. It's great stuff!

Anyone else care to chime in?? :D

14. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I've got both and I'm loathe to choose between them. Fargoal is absolutely gorgeous, quick and simple (without being too simple), whereas Rogue Touch seems to have slightly more to it and, with the randomly-named potions and scrolls, may give a slightly better feeling of entering unknown depths.

I think Fargoal may well be a better first roguelike than Rogue Touch, but they're both great games showing love and respect for their source material - and showing how well the genre stands up today with a bit of graphical polish and well-considered interface design.

15. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    In my opinion Rogue Touch and Fargoal complement each other perfectly... so you should buy both. :) They are both Roguelikes, yet each have a quite different take in their approach to the genre. So they really are two different playing and feeling games, each one satisfying different needs.

eev, nyarla, you can reduce battery usage by disabling the "Max Performance" option in the setting. It will drop the frame rate from 60FPS to 30FPS in an attempt to save a little juice. :)

16. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I've been checking this multiple times a day waiting for this to be released. And now it's here! Instant purchase! Impressions forthcoming.

17. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Great game...

Was looking forward to this and have not been disappointed... really nice light Rogue-like... Love the smooth control, straight-forward gameplay, and the retro looks/sounds... I *do* wish I could equip a sword and armor ( the only complexity I would like to see added :) ). Only other request would be to allow your own music in game... I thought I saw a reply where someone said this was possible, but I don't see any option for it.

18. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Ah, sweet, thanks :)

One little thing I reckon would be cool, though by no means necessary, would be to have a bit of a shadow under the player/enemy sprites.. It would especially make it make more "visual sense" when you're floating in the air, being able to see that you aren't right on top of your shadow...

I love how big the floors are, with the different areas separated by tunnels.. it's the first time I've actually felt like I was lost in a roguelike in ages (this is a good thing).

19. RomaTotti10

RomaTotti10 New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal vs. Rogue Touch

Thanks for your comments guys.

I will follow your recommendations and buy both games. I will start with Sword of Fargoal today and when I have finished it, I will go back and play Rogue Touch.

I will post my impressions and tell you which one I prefer.

20. Nice work with this, having a lot of fun with it. This is my first Roguelike on the iPhone.

Mike