GameClub Sword of Fargoal (by Fargoal, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Dec 1, 2009.

1. overzero3

overzero3 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Its a pretty simple, yet not less fun, roguelike. You explore countless floors of randomized dungeons finding treasures, gold, spells, itens, etc, while fighting monsters. Pure classic dungeon crawling.
    I sugest you to search on youtube for some videos. Pretty sure TouchGameplay has one.
    The game itself is a lot simple but where it shines is on the little details, such as dragons roaring when they see you, assassins hiding in the shadows throwing shurikens, mushrooms that make you hallucinate, thiefs opening the same chests as you, and so on...
    Man...i gotta say, that for a game with such minimal graphics and gameplay it did make my jaw drop when that ogre busted through the wall to chase me...I had being playing for months and I never though that was possible! What a surprise.

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Left one kinda crucial thing out. The objective is to retrieve the Sword of Fargoal and return to the surface. This will win the game. You don't have to do it though - you can keep delving deeper after reaching the sword.

3. overzero3

May 18, 2011
    Lol, I guess I never really cared to beat the game. Thats how good a game is, when you play it just for the joy of playing, not finishing it.
    I hope Fargoal 2 get things going again. Kinda gave up on asking for news by now. Just waiting to open the app store and see the game there to buy.

4. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    In any case, this is the Fargoal 1 thread and should probably be put back on the topic of Fargoal 1.

I do want to do an update to Fargoal 1 some time this spring when my workload lightens up. Might even do a graphical refresh with the help of a proper (not me) artist.

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I love Fargoal 1 and a new update sounds great but it does not bode well for us seeing the sequel I supported via KickStarter anytime soon.

My complaints on the Fargoal 2 KS is not so much with the slippage, but the abysmal lack of communication. The blame for that lies with Jeff McCord.

To anyone who does not own the original, no reason to wait. Buy Fargoal 1 now.

6. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Don't you dare, sir! The look is a huge part of the charm.

JindoFox likes this.
  7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Any chance on adding an IAP to buy the sword of fargoal so I don't have to play the game?

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh how I Lol'd ;)

9. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    JCho for the epic win!

10. overzero3

May 18, 2011
    Sometimes I believe Im the only person who really likes Fargoal art style. I love those minimal sprites, even their stillness.
    Although The game could use some updates.
    I have two major complains: game get repetitive real fast, most of it cause the dungeons floor all look the same (sabe some minor color palet change), and i feel i have too little control over fights.
    I always though that some 'themed floors' would be a nice change of scenery. Make it a lava based floor. Musk filled floor, arcane dimension full of teleport spots you need to navigate, etc...
    And while combat is most of all automatic, some spells ou special skills for the player to activate would help a bit. Maybe some simple skill tree (waaaay simple, likw, straight line simple). Casting spells and skill during fights would make it less based on luck and more on the player.
    Its funny to think about a update for Fargoal 1, when so much could be made into Fargoal 2!

JindoFox likes this.
  11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, why bother with an update? Why not spend the time on 2? I mean it seems like 2 would make you more cash, and 1 has been fine the way it is for like... Well, a long time...

12. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Because Fargoal 1 is already approved for Steam, and thus an update and Steam release will make more guaranteed cash up front.

13. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    In that case, getting the improvements in the IOS version would be much appreciated.

14. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I would be very grateful if you could post a full update log here.

15. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    There's nothing to post right now as I am highly focused on Death Road to Canada currently. I will post more Fargoal updates once I return. Pretty thinly spread here, the unfortunate downside of indie.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
  17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hunh? Not as far as I can see here in the US right now.

18. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    free in canada

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha I'm in the US too and it's free-er than a Glu game

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    My stupidity, I was just searching iPad games and saw Sword of Fargoal Legends, which was a separate incarnation they did through Chillingo and likely can't play with the pricing of.