Sword of Fargoal 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fargoal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Can't wait, I loved the original on iOS

2. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    With respect, that line has been trotted out many, many times over the last 2 years! If you look at the F2 kickstarter page the last comment was in April and the most recent update in May. The most recent communication about a release at the start of the year was June I think and here we are still a long way to go. Why is it never "weeks away" and always so far out of reach? Why isn't there a thread in the upcoming section of this forum?

3. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #123 fargoal, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    I wish more than anything that I could say otherwise about knowing the timing more closely. You guys have been very patient with us for the most part and we've appreciated that. The challenge has always been that Sword of Fargoal has been such a huge undertaking for such a little staff to handle. As most of you know, Madgarden was carrying the ball forward for over a year solid with no outside income to get the game to its nearly-complete state.

As a result of our Kickstarter campaign, we were able to bring in some extra coding support to keep the project moving forward this past several months, and we've been working through the Fargoal 2 beta test period with active user/participants, but it has remained a slow process because there are several refining steps we still are going through. It is very fair that Madgarden has had to cut back his involvement during this past period because of all that uncompensated (or future-compensated) time he tirelessly put in, so at least for now he's had to step back a bit to also work on personal and outside projects — quite deservedly so.

The simple fact remains, that we can't call it "weeks away" until we know 100% for sure that we can safely say that's true. Like I said, I wish I could say otherwise at this point, but it's a large enough, bold enough, deep enough project that it is quite complex to get polished up for our release.

I've always been thankful for the interest in and appreciation for the game; enough for an emphatically-expressed hope and wish that it was done — or at least I assume that's the case. We know there is a very strong desire to see us release Sword of Fargoal 2, and that desire is more-than-matched with our own desire to finish the game and get it out there for fans to enjoy.

With appreciation,

Jeff McCord
    Fargoal, LLC

4. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Ive heard from folks that the beta is fantastic and well worth the wait! Patience!

5. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    You are kind, Mookmonster! We've heard the same — almost universally — from our fantastic beta testers!

— Jeff

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This is going to be awesome, the first game is brilliant,

7. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks oooooomonkey!

— Jeff

8. overzero3

overzero3 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Ok, now is time to seize the opportunity...
    Is there *anything* of concrete that you can share with us now?
    Screenshots, gameplay video, some artwork, details on some of the mechanics...anything at all?

9. fargoal

Dec 2, 2009
    overzero3,

There are some great screenshots, descriptions of new content, and updates with various details — including a sprite sheet with new monsters, etc. — that you can see here!

http://far.gl/sof-ks

Let me know what you think.

— Jeff McCord

10. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Is this project still alive?

Seems like we haven't seen anything since the kick starter concluded...

11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    So, anything? I'd dearly love to see this at some point, but it looks to be going down in the records as epic vaporware. Real pity if that were to be the case.

12. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    And..... ???

13. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Didn't the kickstarter reach its goal last October? Has this been abandoned? Please tell me no! And also tell me it's coming out this month! :)

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    If you would go back "1" page and see the replies from a couple of months ago. They are working on it and will let us know when its ready. But it was pretty obvious that people were beta testing from the comments. Which means it isn't abandoned. This game was big enough that I am almost 100% positive that TA will do a front page article when a release date is planned.

15. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    But the developers have very much neglected the community that does not have access to their internals forums as there have been no status announcements for way too long. Not a huge deal, but it has soured me on supporting KickStarter projects going forward.

16. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    I have mentioned this before in the past, but I have been and am busy developing on other projects in order to pay the bills (Punch Quest, Death Road to Canada). Jeff has stepped up to the plate on Fargoal 2 for the moment, so best to contact him about what's going on: [email protected]

17. overzero3

May 18, 2011
    I dont mean to sound like a total jerk but....the whole point of the kickstart was not to provide for the developers the money and time they need to finish de project?
    Feels like the game is moving on the same, steady but very slow, pace that it has been even before the kickstart...
    It would be nice to see some screenshot, or something just to keep the interest going...
    Check in this thread from a couple of months to a couple of months just to see it in the same spot is pretty desapointing =\

18. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Not to sound like a jerk, but its been stated over and over on this thread on were you can go with links to contact the actual developers. Just because this thread is here and a kick-starter was successful doesn't mean the TA forums need to be updated by them. If you read video game development news you should understand that this is not a rarity.

19. overzero3

May 18, 2011
    Yeah, you are right. Developers don't usually come and sit down and talk with their fanbase all that often...still, as someone who participate on this thread you must know how many times Jeff and Madgarden (who just responded here) came and talked about updates and how development is going.
    Although not so much right now. Who knows, maybe they spoiled us. Answering all our questions every now and then! Feels good when developers talk to their fans. It should be a fine exemple for other to follow...too bad you disagree!

20. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Hey I love talking to the fans... I just don't have a lot to say about Fargoal at the moment. Super busy on other projects.