Sword of Fargoal 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fargoal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    It's pretty disgusting really. For all the promises, money made, pledges to constantly update, bringing in new coders - they still can't just come out and say "it's dead."

All those people that put money in - shouldn't they get their money back?

2. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the risk of backing, nothing is guaranteed. Too bad though!

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    As bluerocket says you wont get your money back. When you do any kickstarter/indiegogo etc theres always a risk the project might not finish and you lose your money. Happened to me before, thankfully theres way more great projects which are finished than mess up like this but even so i know its frustrating.

Hopefully you didnt put too much in, the one i recently lost was $150 ! Annoying but thats the risk you take sometimes

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Worst yet: we don't even have SOF 1 working anymore...

5. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    The short answer is no. The longer answer is...longer. https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/accountability-on-kickstarter

It's important to understand that when you participate in a crowdfunding campaign that you are NOT pre-ordering an end product. You are investing in a project that may or may not succeed, and there is risk involved. Do not invest money you aren't willing to lose. Backing game development is not for the weak-hearted or impatient.

Before crowdfunding, that financial risk was solely taken on by game publishers. I've worked on games that have been cancelled, and I've cancelled projects myself. It happens all the time and unless it's a high profile project, the general public is usually none-the-wiser.

Creative endeavors are inherently filled with uncertainty. Designs that look great on paper may be wretched once you have gameplay prototyped. You might spend months going down a particular direction only to discover that the game engine just won't do what you need it to do, and now you're either switching direction or diverting resources to address the shortcomings.

Then there are intangibles such as "how well does the team work together?" I've been around the block enough times to know that if the development team has never worked together before, despite how talented they may be as individuals, getting to the finish line could be a challenge. Some high-performing developers simply don't work well with others, and it always sucks to realize that too late, or not know how to manage it.

Even teams with a solid history of delivering can go off the rails, so I need to be entirely convinced that some noobs pitching their dream game on Kickstarter have the discipline and experience to deliver. Anyone who funded Star Command back in 2011 (or again in 2012) knows all too well what happens when a developer's eyes are bigger than their stomachs. :p

Artfoundry likes this.
  6. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    How's this working out for you?

It's now been SEVEN YEARS!!

JindoFox and Gwarmaxx like this.
  7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #287 Gwarmaxx, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    LOL LOL LOL

no more working out for him... SOF2 WILL NEVER SEE THE DAYLIGHT!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Sword of Fargoal is coming back via GameClub.

I don't know what's up with SOF2 ... I got the PC beta, which is something, I suppose.

9. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    8 years and counting :D

McCord updated back in May that he was sorry and that he'd update regularly, as in every few weeks. That was 5 months ago!

I still think backers should be refunded.

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Duke Nukem took 14 years.

11. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    Coming up on TEN WHOLE YEARS since this was funded. Not a hint of a refund either.

sebgo and slewis7 like this.
  12. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    I think we can now safely say that fraud was committed and whoever is responsible should be in jail.

13. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    Now 11 years and counting...

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah no point bumping this dead thread. It’s obvious the money won’t be coming ever sadly