Universal Swim Out (By Lozange Lab)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 10, 2017.

1. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #21 y2kmp3, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    MatLoz,

Fantastic to hear from the developer.

Being a completionist, I was eventually able to complete Level V-10 with all objectives fulfilled (I presume that the 20-move solution you mentioned is not the solution for all objectives, as this is the number of steps I took to just get out of the pool without gathering any of the items). In hindsight, the solution was quite neat, and the steps were less tedious than I had originally thought because the solution itself had some degree of symmetry (just like the pool area).

Even without the unlimited undo, have you considered a "limited" undo (the last 5 steps perhaps)? What about a checkpoint system on entering a new pool within the same level?

Lastly, I have discovered so far underpar solutions for 2 levels that had a move count goal as one of the objectives (I am currently in chapter 6). Level II-6 requires only 57 of 59 moves and Level V-2 requires only 35 of 37 moves. Are these solutions known to you?

2. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Yes, that checkpoint system you describe is exactly what we're working on, it would allow you to restart at the latest ladder. Althought we can't guarantee that you didn't mess up in the previous pool, so you will always have the ability to restart a level from the start.

And yes we intentionaly set the move count goal a little bit higher than the minimum possible in a few levels including II-6 and V-2. Well done for having found the best solution :)

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #23 y2kmp3, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    [20-Aug-2017] Yikes! The star objectives in VI-11 and VI-15 are truly difficult! Took a long time to discover the correct timing to get past the gauntlets of swimmers!

I too realize that the checkpoint may "mess" up the progress in a level if the player chooses to retrieve the wrong item(s) from the pool. It is, however, a good compromise.

Can you share the levels in which the move goals have been set higher than the true minimums? What are these true minimums? Why are these few levels chosen?

I am half way into Chapter 6. Got all gold medals so far. Truly impressed by the quality of many of the levels, especially with the tight constraints that block certain solution paths showing that you were aware of these attacks and deliberately placed swimmers or hazards to block those shortcuts.

Also, can you explain how the crab movements are determined? They are fixed and appear to go in a zigzag pattern, but even this pattern does not appear to be consistent and the crab does not react to the player's presence nearby (in other words, the player can be directly adjacent to the crab, and the crab will just ignore the player).

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Happy to see that you like the game so much y2kmp3, I am on level V-9 now, got distracted from some other games but I am back on now, swim it out girl ha ha.

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    This has to be one of the games of the summer, I love it very very much, it's refreshing in many ways and fun.

6. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Thanks a lot for your very positive comments !

All levels are hand-made without any algorithm, so we don't know the absolute minimum number of moves needed to swim out. We set move count goals to values of what we think is necessary to understand the trick we designed to get out of the pool, but some can probably be optimized ! Those we had already reduced the number a few times we accepted it as valid because it was already difficult enough to get there.

Crabs move in "stairs", and like anyone else they don't react to the player's presence nearby. The trick is that they don't move in the direction they are facing but sideways.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #27 y2kmp3, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Finished game. All 7 chapters. All 99 levels. All 196 gold medals.

Quite a few very tricky levels, with some very elegant and ingenious solutions. Only a few chaotic levels which you need to power your way through. Some of the solutions (such as for Level VII-7) needed to achieve the bonus goals require a lot of patience to execute due to the many steps needed to synchronize movements between the player character and other swimmers or hazards. The game constantly introduces new mechanics and mixes them up to good effect. Some levels (such as Level VII-15) look complex but in practice are relatively easy to solve, whereas other levels (such as Level VI-11) look straightforward but in practice have very complex solutions.

This is definitely a hidden gem that any puzzle fan should try. High recommended! Very satisfying. Future update to implement a checkpoint system will definitely help to lessen the frustration of needing to replay the entire level on each restart.

PS: There is an underpar solution for Level VII-15 (game's final puzzle). The level can even be solved without using the
    goggle

8. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Congrats y2kmp3 !
    Glad you enjoyed the game so much, and thanks for having reported underpar solutions !
    Now where's Roger-NL ? :)

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am on chapter 6 now it's getting harder to get all the objectives now but I am on it.

10. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    The update is now live! Here is the release note :

• Stuck on a level with multiple pools ? Now when you lose you restart automatically from the last pool you were in. If you need to restart from the very beginning of the level you can still use the restart button.
    • New level! We saved V-15 from the waters.
    • Level VI-12 has a new secondary objective (thanks PJ).
    • Tutorial enhancement.
    • Minor bugfixes and improvements.

Waiting for your feedbacks!

11. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
  12. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Swim Out was finalist at PING Awards and TIGA Awards in november, for best puzzle game and best mobile game.
    We didn't win but we very proud to be nominated in the shortlists!

For those who want to test the game before buying it, there is a free demo for Windows, Mac and Linux that you can download here : www.indiedb.com/games/swim-out/downloads

13. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
  14. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Hi everyone!

Swim Out has been updated on the AppStore with the following content :

• Support for iPhone X. Enjoy the scenery from a broader point of view!
    • A new objective has been added to Level VII-15
    • Improvements and bugfixes
    • Swim Out is free of any text and so is suitable for all languages. It's now up to date on the AppStore page

[​IMG]

15. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
  16. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    #36 deresi, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Congratulations! At the last opportunity, I should have taken it. Especially, this game will be more interesting in summer.

17. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Swim Out has now been rated by 600 players on the AppStore with an average rating of 4.6/5
    Thanks everyone !

600 ratings.png

sebgo likes this.
  18. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
  19. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France
    Update 1.4 is out, including new cutscenes and iMessage stickers, smoother camera movements and various improvements.
    and... it's on sale until sunday, -66%, lowest price ever!

SwimOut-Cutscene-SeaCrab-480x270-25fps.gif SwimOut-Cutscene-RiverForest-480x270-25fps.gif SwimOut-Cutscene-SeaLifeguard-480x270-25fps.gif SwimOut-Cutscene-PoolDiver-480x270-25fps.gif SwimOut-Cutscene-RiverBoomerang-480x270-25fps.gif

ste86uk likes this.
  20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Can’t say I’ve noticed this game before but just seen the TA article on it getting an update and being on sale for the cheapest price ever at 99p.

Watched the trailer for the game and instantly purchased.