iPad Sweep Man! RetroAction!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pal Van Marrsterhausen, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    [Just happened across this little retro beauty! If your into your 8bit era action then this may be for you. The gameplay is very simplistic (very NES Super Mario) but the presentation is spot on. A few things could be tweaked, like being able to switch from vertical to horizontal & accelerometer callibration, but as it stands this interesting 8bit curiosity sure deserves a look!
    514925.jpg 514925_4.jpg help3.jpg

http://appshopper.com/games/sweep-man

2. Zarile3

Zarile3 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I smell lawsuit. Nintendo.

3. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    Get it whilst it's HOT!

4. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I saw this when it popped up earlier this morning.

Didn't seem worth the $1.99.

Would love to see a game play video though.

5. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    $1.99 does seem a little steep... but after playing with it for a while I'd say it's worth the punt if 8bit is your thing. It also seems to be made with an awful lot of care and love of the retro era...

6. gd3

gd3 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    A guy who cleans up waste... similar to a plumber? This time though it's Giraffes and Pigs, not Turtles and Lizards.

EDIT - it does look good though, and kinda fun. Too bad it's not 99 cents, I think I'll pass. Although it might be cool to own a game that might end up getting pulled.

7. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Has anyone tried this yet? I love the "familiar" ;) graphics, but I am wondering how the gameplay is.
    No app store reviews yet.
    If it's good I'd like to get it before it gets pulled! :rolleyes:

8. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Feb 19, 2009
    Gameplay is perfectly 8bit & simplistic. The accelerometer controls could be a bit more sensetive or an option for a on-screen D-pad, but as it is it's extremely playable and worth the purchase I think, especially if you like the whole retro look. The sound is also old-skool minimal, full of beeps & blips (Super mario platform style).

9. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
  10. Oh what the hell. I grabbed it.

Pros: Cool retro styling with an all-too-Mario-like main character and a giant leprechaun demanding you clean crap off his yard. The dog running around crapping all over everything oddly reminds me of Jeff Minter's classic Hover Bovver. Sound is suitably retro.

Cons: Totally not digging those accelerometer controls at all. This seriously needs a D-pad; at least left/right controls on the left and a jump button on the right.

Hey, for free, I can't complain. It's a fun little diversion with some well done retro styling if you can choke down the controls.

11. Nintendo style,any video visible?

12. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Just played a bit before work and it does not seem like a platformer.....is it just sweeping ? I will play a bit morer after work............

13. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    This one's been out for a good while, it's made by Poppy, he also did BraveMan and Giant Metal Robot, his games are all simple to pick up, but tricky to master and have the 8-bit art style. They're all definately worth checking out. The two I mentioned above would be my favourites.
    BraveMan consists of a balding bar fly playing with a knife between his fingers, you tab to stab between the gap of his spread fingers, gets quicker and quicker as you go, it's pretty funny when he severes a finger or two.

In Giant Metal Robot you use the tilt controls to move the giant robot left and right and tap to smash down his fists on the skeletons trying to get the girl. For a dollar you can't go wrong

14. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    in my opinion tilt to move left/right works reasonably well, but I do wish I could jump by touching the screen.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Poppy just rocks!
    Their little 8-bit treasures are full of love.
    Got them all and will never erase them.
    For a short casual game they are always perfect!

16. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Bingo! Especially since the touch isn't already being used in game.

17. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Now [app]Sweep Man[/app] is Free!
    So, let's try!

Customer Ratings are almost one star...:(

18. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    version 1.3 is out !

New version of [app]Sweep Man[/app] is out!

This game is free!
    Please enjoy, and post your impression.

19. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009