GameClub Sway (by Illusion Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Feb 25, 2009.

1. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I think i joined before he was banned because that name sounds familiar.
    Nevertheless, its an online community and people come and go.

This game is beast btw. What character do you guys use most? The lizard is hard for me to control for some reason. I got a couple golds with the ninja cause its so fast, but i haven't tried the monkey yet.

2. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    im sure hes under another alias!

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Hey EDNG, what's up? lol.

So, Sway doesn't seem my style, but I keep hearing good reviews. I think I might pick this up, but EDGE looks good also. So many choices, so little time...

4. Buster08

Buster08 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    How is this games replayability and battery life. I'm considering getting it

5. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Just buy it. You won't regret it.

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA

I use Ninja Man more than any other. That will be the fun of things, I have one level left to unlock the last character on the beach path, then I'm going to go back and use each character trying to get the time and star achievements.

7. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    #107 iKoda, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    Me too. I thought this game would suck. But now it's great. =D

Someone wanna explain something for me. When a red or green circle shows up on the screen where your thumbs are... What does that mean?

8. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    This game is quite fun once you get the controls down, graphics and overall presentation are top notch. Here is an icon in the Zio theme style

[​IMG]

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I like it: looks like RastaMonkey but without the racism.

10. MilkRobotics

MilkRobotics Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Graphic Software Development
    Oregon
    Best iphone game so far

Its a bit like Toy Bot Dairies, BUT that's like saying the Little Big Planet is like a 2D platformer.

It is simply fantastic, the physics and the quality of the 3D is amazing.

My only fear is its long term playability. There are only a handful of levels (under 20) as far as I can. Granted I haven't actually seen all of them.

Love the fact that each unlocked character has different capabilities (like longer arms.) Also flinging the character as far as possible is a hoot.:D

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I like the ninja! He's so cute.. and springy!

Yes, all the different characters have different abilities. Monkee has very long arms, but is very slow for instance.

12. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    #112 Anders, Feb 26, 2009
    If you look closely, you can see that the characters have either some green or some red on their hands. So, if you forget which thumb controls which hand, just keep the thumb/thumbs pressed for a while. That is when the circle appears so you can see which thumb controls which hand.

Here's a screen shot where you can see the red and the green:

[​IMG]

13. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Love It!

Great stuff!!!
    Control scheme is great, graphics so freaking pretty, idea is awesome too.
    Love it!

14. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Great game. its a surprising experience. I loved the game but played last night too fast to the end, I recommend new players to play slow trying new characters in beaten levels and getting records.

I think the point of the game is to enjoy control more than anything but the levels are nice too.

I have a bug with records not recorded fine the 2nd time I play a level.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The control is sooo like Donkey Kong - jungle climbers on the DS, in which you must swing with one hand, then switch to the next one. Just exactly like this.

I love the characters, but not sure about the background and environment. They look rushed and underdeveloped compared to the characters.

What will future updates bring? And why is there no intro price for us early adopters?

16. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  17. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA

Donkei, I'm not sure if you have Sway, or if you are speaking from seeing screenshots, vids and reading descriptions. Either way I wanted to respond.

The controls make Sway seem so natural for me to play, so much so that like someone mentions on their Appstore review; unlike most games I have bought, I actually look forward to playing.

The backgrounds, imo are beautifully rendered. You are right in that they don't have alot of detail, but once you are playing you notice the superb attention to detail and the "living" shadow effects all draw you into the environment nicely.

I think with the strong reception Sway has here and on the appstore that more levels will be imminent.

I think if any other developer/publisher had this game idea and created it to this level of production, there's no question they would intro price it between $7.99 and $9.99

18. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    Great play, I'm impressed! Looking forward to the review ;)

19. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008

While the 2 handed-ness does seem similar, gameplay is nothing at all alike.

Donkey Kong JC works on simple peg pivoting based inertia to launch your character in a straight line. Sway has alot more physics influencing the swing, hand movement, rotation, gravity, in a way much harder. For example I can easily replicate any swings and path in DK because the physics is much easier, when you hit a peg you auto rotates, while in Sway in a way, some element of luck is involved in your swing, first of all to swing takes some effort of your finger, and you wont be able to swing exactly the same way twice, getting your lil monkey to do the same exact swing to the exact same spot twice is near impossible. I would use the term "fling" to describe the bit of randomness and unpredictability of the swing in sway.

So calling this the same as DK JC is like calling GranTurismo is the same as Outrun, or Street Fighter, the same as Virtua Fighter.

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #120 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 26, 2009
    I bought Sway the minute it was released to the Appstore I played and have approx. 8 hours gameplay logged. I just "beat" the game, but I wasn't playing for precision, I started unlocking characters and kept going for more. My best character was Ninja Man, but now that I finished the game, I am going to play again until I have all gold medals for time and stars collected. ( my last level was the Beach) my last friend saved was Box Boy so I haven't played the original playthrough with him.
    ****spoiler alert*****
    Anders ,

Is Box Boy the only character with full green and red arms, or is this because he's the end of game friend? What's up with all friends saying thank you and yet Box Boy has a flower instead?:)