SwapQuest - Puzzle/RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rebusmind, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue Calypso

Rogue Calypso Active Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Web Design & Development
    Nashville, grew up in Iowa
    omg. is that a puppy?? :p :D

2. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Yep, the rogue class gets a dog that runs around bringing items to the hero. :)

3. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    #103 Rebusmind, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    This week I worked on the sea level some more. This level is a bit more tricky, as we had to do some extra work to make the normal items that are in every level (like the chest or jewels) work with the new environment. It's still a little rough around the edges, but here are some impressions.

Wavy
    Get them while you can!

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Ooh, those are cool features. I appreciate that you are using the way the environment would actually work (more or less).

5. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Keeps looking better n' better! Really looking forward to this one

6. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    @Jerutix
    I'm kinda obsessed with making every level as unique as possible. Thankfully I haven't reached the point where I was doubting myself if I could come up with enough stuff, I still have so many things I want to do with the upcoming levels. :D

@nicodemus82
    Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to you playing SwapQuest. :D

7. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Looking forward to this. Is there an eta? Couldn't find one in the thread. I know May was mentioned by devs.

8. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    May, haha, well, I've got the common indie dev disease called S.A.M.E. (Suck At Making Estimations). I'm hoping to finish the game this Fall, sometime around September/October. We've been making great progress in the last weeks and will continue to do so until all the levels are in the game. Wish us luck and thanks for following the development of SwapQuest! :D

9. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    ^ thanks!

Games coming along great. It surely looks like a gem to me! A ton of people will get enjoyment out of this piece, as will I. Good luck, & wish you the best of success.

Can't wait, looking forward to the release.

Take care :)

10. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
  11. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I can test

12. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Ok, cool. :)
    Betatesting will hopefully start sometime in August. I'll announce it here then.

13. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Cool news: SwapQuest has been selected to be in the indie showcase at the "Develop in Brighton" conference, so if any of you live nearby, come over and try the game. The conference is on the 9th and 10th of July.

___

Yay, a new level! Again I've tried to capture what makes a certain location (in this case a desert) 'interesting' and work it into the various elements of the level. Here's a little selection.

Sandstorms
    Death From Above
    A little Hommage

Hope you like it, I'm looking forward to your feedback. :)

14. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    You are killing me with anticipation. Killing me.

15. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    This week has been a bit slower due to preparations for the Develop in Brighton conference (a lot of suspended bug fixing and some new invisible features to improve the level generation). I will also be at the Big Indie Pitch which will be one day before the conference.
    We also worked on a new level, which you can see below (no gifs this time, though).
    Next week I'll be in Brighton then, so don't expect much new stuff.

A sunny winter day...
    Frozen
    You're walking on thin ice.
    Don't get hit by the icy wind.
    The weather is getting worse and night is coming down.

16. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Who's not a fan of some nice menus in games? Well, I've been working on a first version of the merchant. Right now it still looks a bit boring, but for now I wanted the mechanics to work so that you can finally spend your hard-earned jewels on something nice. :)

[​IMG]

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sorry of it's been asked before but will items change appearance and will there be many rpg like mechanics?

18. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    The equipped weapon will be visible in combat, but not the armor (as it is was crazy enough to create two characters that can have one of five classes, which change appearance twice during the game (which basically makes 30 different characters to play as, each with their own running and fighting graphics)).

There will be many rpg-like mechanics, but you still won't spend a lot of time in menus, I guess. Each weapon and armor has a basic attack/defense value and an additional attribute, which e.g. can be 'poison' or 'paralyse'. Depending on this attribute, the weapon can have a chance to poison the enemy or a piece of armor can prevent you getting poisened. These attribute values can be increased by enchanting your weapon in the caravan (that's where all the buying and modifying happens). There's also a trainer that can upgrade your class abilities for money.
    I hope these systems will be complex enough to allow for some unique customizations of your character, but simple enough to allow people new to rpgs to use them.

What do you think?

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Anything that let's you customise and upgrade ect is always a good thing as they always keep me hooked to games longer and make it more fun. Weapons/armour and abilities ect are all good

20. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Still sounding great! Every time I drop in this game looks better. Keep it up (but release it eventually ;))