Universal SwapQuest (by Constantin Graf)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    @Hambo12 Me too, definitely.

@all What class are you playing as? Do you have a favorite yet?

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sorry I wasn't around for release but congrats on the game being released! Just downloaded it onto my iPad and iPhone and deleted the old test version so hopefully I can start all over again.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks on my iPad. But from testing and from talking to the Dev a little over a long period during development you wouldn't be wasting your money picking this up. It's a great game and the dev really cares about making it s good game and wasn't willing to rush it out.

3. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    @ste86k
    No problem and thanks for your ongoing support! I really appreciate it! :)

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I love this game. I just slayed that big ass spider as he's first boss I guess and I'm so enjoying it. It looks beautiful, plays great, it's a masterpiece.
    I realized I can't go back to previous stages and grind for more jewels to buy better equippment? It's not hard yet, I'm playing on normal, but I'm somehow used to grind a little to buy the best gear available so the further progress is easier. Anyway, everything's fine for now, we'll see in future stages. I chose Noble class which is amazing with its increasing damage based on amount of jewels. And I'm looking forward to try other classes as well. There's a huge replay-ability value. Very impressive! 5 stars

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Suggestion to developer: some levels include the quest to finish within a time limit; please display a timer in this case.

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I've been wondering the same thing about the grinding....

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    ...and I just realized when there's crossroad and you've got multiple choices to progress, you just can't go back to second one, you always move further. For example, I had a choice to go through some sort of swamp or go to cemetary, so when I picked up one and finished the stage, the only option was to move forward and I can't play through second one even thought I'd like to. I understand the replay-ability value but with progress like this I'm afraid I'm gonna miss a lot of nicely designed stages because I have to make just one choice. It's managable in the beginning, I can remember a few stages I missed and when I choose another class to play with I can go different way (possibly the way I didn't go before), but I can't remember every single stage I missed, right? Isn't it a pity to just miss significant amount of stages because of that?

Anyway, I love the achievements and the progress. I just switched from Noble to Prince and experienced my first fail in burning village, which was hard. Now I can stop the horde when I need it which is great. This game constantly amazes me. When I need to use bridge tiles to walk across the river or when I'm trying to accomplish the task to make it through the stage without breaking any furniture, it's just great. I highly recommend this game, it's so much fun.

8. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Every level can contain this quest, as quests are randomly picked each time you start a level. I didn't want to put more UI stuff on the screen, but you can always check the current time by pausing the level.

Not really. You'll see. ;)
    Btw. you can replay the last level you completed. Just tap on the grey icon while you're standing on it.

9. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Sorry for the double post, but I noticed that some people didn't find out that there are several screens in the Caravan that you can access by swiping at the bottom of the screen. It is only said once in the tutorial text, so it's easily missable. I will make it more visible in an update. Sorry for that.

Here's a gif showing how to do it right.

[​IMG]

10. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Thanks! I didn't know that. I've tried but it's true it's a bit tricky. Awesome game indeed, can't stop playing!

11. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah, it was a bad decision to make it that way. I will change it to just two buttons with arrows on them in the update.

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I didn't know there are multiple screens in the caravan menu, thanks for the heads up. Now there's reason for some serious grinding. My question is, if I enchant a weapon or armor, is it gonna be lost when I buy different one? Or are the enchant attributes transferable to another items? I just make it to Ardor Desert after 2:30 of playtime and I'm stuck, it's so difficult! I've got the best weapon and armor possible, I'm level 14 but I'm getting killed anyway. And those direction changes of the horde? Where am I even supposed to go? Man, this stage is killing me, literally, because my character is thirsty so fast.. and there's so few water pools;)

13. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    @macplash
    Yeah, the enchantments are lost when you buy a new weapon, but you also get part of your money back. Sometimes it's also better to keep a weaker weapon that has strong enchantments. For example if there's a new sword with ATK 6 and you have a sword with ATK 4, but also absorption of 60%, then I would probably keep the old one, because the healing abilities are way more powerful than having a slightly higher attack.
    The desert can be hard, especially on harder difficulties. On easy you won't become thirsty that fast. It's one of these levels where I concentrate more on getting treasure chests and the dead bushes rolling over the screen.
    (if it should become too brutal, you can still change the difficulty level anytime in the pause menu)

14. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    I was on-the-fence on this one, so did my usual check: Does it have a designer that's active on forums, showing he actually cares about the game that he's made?

Definitely passed THAT check :), and with character sprites that have a Lufia / Mystic Quest feel and gameplay that reminds me of walking the pattern in Nine Princes of Amber (yeah, THERE'S an obscure game reference back from my C-64 days), I think I can sacrifice the cost of a coffee to the cause.

The lack of "Offers In-App Purchases" doesn't hurt, either. ;)

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, the thing is there are just those icons with percentage sign and I really don't know what they mean. I assume the red throwing star is some addition to attack values but I'm lost with other icons. Is there any description available for these enchantments and bonuses? Would be great to be sure what my hard earned in-game currency is going to be spent on;)

I'm probably going to lower the difficulty in this particular stage because it's really difficult for my taste. That's just great to know there's this possibility to change the difficulty anytime, I didn't know that also. That being said, I must admit you're sharing some seriously valuable informations here, thanks for that!

16. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    @macplash
    I'm sorry that the game doesn't make those mechanics clear enough.
    You can see what the small icons mean when you go to the screen of the Enchantress and tap on the question mark button at the top right of the screen.
    They are (from top to bottom):
    - Poison: deals damage over time
    - Paralysis: sometimes prevents movement (while walking or fighting)
    - Confusion: you cannot control the character anymore
    - Blindness: decreases accuracy in combat
    - Absorption: heals you after attacking the enemy

17. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This game is sublime. Well done to the Dev!

18. korkidog

korkidog Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 12, 2012
    Illinois
    How come I'm capped at 999 gems when there are weapons and armor that cost more? Let me guess, because I'm playing easy mode??

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    When you're at 999 gems (which is basicly after every stage later) just deposit everything to your bank.. and when you need to buy something more expensive (like that armor for 4250 gems), just withdraw the amount and that's it;)

20. Rebusmind

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    No, you can deposit your money at the bank, which you can find when you swipe to the left at the bottom of the caravan screen. It is a little hard to find right now, I'll improve that in the first update. (you can also swipe in the other direction to find even more RPG goodness)

@macplash Haha, thanks for replying as well.