Universal Swap Sword (by Alec Thomson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Hongik Choi

Hongik Choi New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Public Relations Manager
    Korea
    Looks like a lot of fun

Looks like a lot of fun!
    I really like the Japanese style sound effects and visuals, in particular.

2. elektrisko

elektrisko Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2016
    I really liked this game, one thing I have not understood though is what the countdown of enemies mean after you have found the keys to open the door?

3. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Nice little game but over far too quickly

4. It's the countdown to Death.

5. radstronomical

Nov 7, 2014
    Male
    Game Builder, Secret Crush
    Brooklyn, NY
    Like App Unwrapper said, this is the countdown to the coming of your unbeatable rival (think bubble bobble skeleton whale or spelunky ghost). If you get into score chasing, a big part of the depth (for me, anyway, one of the devs) comes from mastering spells and techniques to last as long as you can and farm coins before he gets you. Some spells can be used smartly to hold him off for a few extra turns, but at some point you've gotta bail.

Glad you like it so far!

Diego

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This is growing on me somewhat. I finally reached something similar to the high score I had right after release, when the leaderboards weren't working. It was cooler when it put me at #1 though (even if it was out of 1...). #10 now, gotta step up my game.

7. akuma_raven

akuma_raven Member

Nov 25, 2016
    halp! really addictive stuff for me... :p

8. amaurote

amaurote Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    i like the icon :)

9. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I have a feeling you will be gravely disappointed.
    Having a premium price on an unfinished game will not generate sales on the iOS platform.
    The competition is way too severe for that nonsense. It might work on Steam and their Kickstarter program but I highly doubt it will succeed on the mobile platform.
    Best of luck though.

10. elektrisko

elektrisko Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2016
    ¨

Oh thanks for explaining! I have come to world 3 so far. Kind of wish there was some kind of checkpoints :p

11. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    #31 aussiepaul, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Yes level Checkpoint please. So I can come back later and continue where i left.
    Love the game. Very relaxing. Maybe some zen music #

12. You can close the game at any point (just don't tell it you want to quit). It autosaves your spot.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is not an unfinished game.

14. aussiepaul

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks appUnwrapper. Thanks for the review too.

15. radstronomical

Nov 7, 2014
    Male
    Game Builder, Secret Crush
    Brooklyn, NY
    #35 radstronomical, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Thanks for the well wishing! I didn't mean to imply that I consider the game to be unfinished -- I'm just saying that for people who want more, we'll consider adding more if the game does okay. I joined as the artist on the project in January and I still find it deeply engaging and unbelievably interesting to re-play (I died on 3-4 with 1300 points at 3am in bed last night, very upsetting)-- although I can see how people that aren't into score chasing might miss out on that, and obviously I'm very biased. But striving for spell mastery and discovering principles that enable you to get scores well over 1000 is a really interesting process, and we felt like it had enough legs on its own. Hopefully some players pick up on that!

We got a nice feature position and people seem to be talking about it a good amount, so we'll see!

16. aussiepaul

Aug 18, 2013
    I have no regrets on buying the app. Happy to support the dev #

17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #37 stubbieoz, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    The comments about being finished in 30 minutes and the game being really short as well as the dev stating that they are considering adding content gave me that impression.
    I was trying to convey to the dev that it is a very risky business strategy to put a premium price on a game that appeared to have little content, especially in a cut throat platform that iOS gaming currently is.

18. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I'm considering picking this up but I'm concerned about the game length. Is it like 'you must build a boat '?

19. aussiepaul

Aug 18, 2013
    #39 aussiepaul, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    This game is not fast paced like YMBAB. It's not as long either. This game is turn based so it is much more think about your next move.
    I enjoy the slower pace of this one and its more a layback match 3 for me. I have both YMBAB and 10000000 and this is more like a chase high score like 10000000 but it is not fast paced and against the clock.
    Also the idea of attacking your enemies in the match3 grid is great and with upgrades it adds an element of strategy.

20. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    One of my earliest comment was that the game was too easy/short.
    I've been playing some more and it's not really about the length. More about the score.
    Wich at first didn't really clicked with me.
    But after a couple of playthrough, it's indeed a very nice and interesting little game!
    I now approach it more in a Hoplite way.
    "Easy to finish". Hard to get a high score.

Good job dev! Still 5 stars for me!