Universal Suzy Cube (by Northernbytes/Noodlecake)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Ryan_Noodle

Ryan_Noodle Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Biz guy at Noodlecake Studios
    Saskatoon
    This save bug is down right a mystery at this point. Has anyone updated to 1.0.2 and NOT experienced this? And for the ones who did, what device and OS version are you on?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    iPhone X, latest iOS.

I don’t know if this helps, but the time on my 1st level run is appearing as 0.00. The other levels are fine.

3. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    The only thing I can think to say about this game is wow!

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#44 Anotherkellydown, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    I’m very pleased with how this turned out, great job! Played some yesterday and today. For some reason the time trial for stage 1-1 isn’t working for me. I finished 1-2 and 1-3 and they were recorded just fine. Possibly a bug? Regardless, I still recommend this for fans of platformers.

I’m on an iPhone 7+ iOS 11.4 and had my progress reset after the update. Thankfully I had only completed the tutorial and the first level.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    iPhone SE on iOS 11.4. Can definitely confirm both the bug and progress restoring once you replay the first level.

6. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    iPhone 8+ on 11.3. I updated and lost my progress, but completing 1-1 didn't restore my data. No biggie, I was only at 1-4 and I certainly don't mind replaying the levels :p

Aside from the glitch, this game is amazing. I can definitely see the Super Mario 3D Land roots and this is easily one of my favorite App Store games I've ever played. I'm still really impressed at how tight the controls feel, that must've taken ages to perfect.

Congrats to the dev on the launch :D

7. rhinofinger

rhinofinger Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #47 rhinofinger, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Same thing happened to me. I'd only just unlocked level 1-3 on the first (left-most) save file before updating the game.

Started the game up again after updating and saw "New file," "New file," "New file." I chose the first (left-most) save file again and beat level 1-1 again. When I got to the level select screen after beating 1-1, all of my level data was back from my previous file, so I was able to resume at 1-3.

Edit: I'm on an iPhone 6S on iOS 11.4.

Anyway, great game! My only issue so far other than this bug is that, out of habit, I keep trying to scroll through the level select screen by swiping the screen (like scrolling through a long webpage in Safari or scrolling through songs in a playlist in Music) rather than by tapping by the left/right sides of it. Obviously not a dealbreaker, just a personal habit that keeps tripping me up.

8. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Louard and redribbon like this.
  9. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Have 100%ed worlds 1, 2, and 3! There's a huge number of interesting gimmicks from level to level - every level feels quite unique.
    If there's a weak spot, it'd have to be the boss battles - they're repetitive and outstay their welcome. Hopefully the World 4 and 5 boss battles feel a little more different - otherwise it feels like every world gets capped off in the same way.

Louard likes this.
  10. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Yeah this is a really fun game. Well done Noodlecake you did it again!

11. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Where is first star on stage 3-B?

12. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Is there a way to know whether you've found everything (other than stars of course) on a given level?

Also, just started playing, but have no idea what the various (power up?) cubes do. I guess that comes with experience.

13. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #53 Stroffolino, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Besides the flying hat and ground pound hat cubes...

The heart hat gives you ability to take an extra hit (if you aren't already powered up).
    The cubes with checkmark are 'checkpoints' in case you die.
    The light grey cubes give you extra time to complete the level.
    There's a purple cube that gives you temporary invulnerability (similar to Mario's star).

houseofg likes this.
  14. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The bosses are all dragons, but each one introduces a new trick or two, and the final incarnation is quite challenging. My only minor gripe with the boss fights is that they are strictly reactive - dodge dodge dodge until boss is vulnerable, then smack him. You can't finish them off more quickly with skill and daring, but need to be patient and consistent to survive and win. But Suzy is really all about Louis's fantastic level designs. Each one is a masterpiece that went through a great many iterations, cosmetic and otherwise - some completely replaced and re-created from the ground up!

I just started working my way through the special worlds. Really appreciate Louis's foresight to cut off testers towards the end, regarding the "S" and special world levels. Even folk that extensively played the final public betas will find a ton of new goodies in the final release build.

nodoctors likes this.
  15. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    took a punt on this as I hate touch controls and platformers almost universally - only played briefly but wanted to say how well they've nailed touch, its amazing how widely things like touch joysticks can make or ruin a game - this feels really well done.

Louard likes this.
  16. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yeah, this one was hard to find!
    Right after your first change in perspective, fall off to the front of the tower. You'll have to be quick because it's very easy for the platform with the star to get flooded.

Meanwhile, I have no clue where the third star in stage 5-2 is...

17. Ryan_Noodle

Ryan_Noodle Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Biz guy at Noodlecake Studios
    Saskatoon
    Protip - The Football helmet allows for some more daring, skill based boss fights. You can finish them off much faster if you time things right ;)

18. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Yeah, I figured that out myself with some luck. I’ll try to find 5-2 third star to help you too

19. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Huge thanks to everyone who's supported the game all this time and who's playing it right now! So excited to share the game with all of you!
    https://www.suzycube.com

There have been some nice early reviews for the game! And watching early impressions and streams has been surreal!

You can read more about the first week of release on my blog:
    https://louardongames.blogspot.com/2018/06/suzy-cube-update-june-22-2018.html/

So, now what!? Well, WAY more people are playing the game now, so we're getting reports of new issues we didn't know about. So, short term will be all about fixing those and long term...? I don't really know!

Check back in for the next few weeks, though, as I want to keep you all updated on the state of sales and eventually do a post-portem.
    Bye for now!

drunk_vader likes this.
  20. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Both powerups allow their own boss crushing tricks, actually ^_^