Universal Survivalcraft [by CandyRufusGames\Kaalus]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mestre, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    A bit of both honestly, People are fine with minecraft clones, as long as they offer something different, such as block fortress.

Also the lack of updates on MC:pE probably helped out too.

2. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Whether or not this is a shameless clone or just the sincerest form of flattery will prob be a debate with many arguments on either side. IMHO it does offer its' own take on the "genre" by gearing itself towards realism (no creepers) and it certainly offers way more than MCPE does (albeit it does lack multiplayer). Had MCPE offered up these sorts of features; infinite worlds, texture packs, the sheer wealth of craftables and mobs, great graphics with better draw distance and a great level of customisation, then yes, this may well have appeared as another clone.

But the way I see it, it's a fantastic ode to a modern genre that shines brightly from its own achievements and offers a significantly more interesting and enjoyable experience than the Mojang effort. The spartan and drawn out updates of MCPE always felt lacking and at this rate it will be a good few years at least before it competes with the bigger brothers on PC. Minecraft will probably be the benchmark for PCs and Xbox, I reckon this is the benchmark for portables.

Kinda reminds me of the recent Freyr game that aped Borderlands (though that was rather more a case of blatant IP theft), if the official version gave us what we wanted (within techical reason) then the obvious choice would be to ignore the clones and support the main brand. This game is what the official one should have been.

3. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    +1 get the game. The first time you do everything right only to get struck by lightning - it's worth it for that alone.

4. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Normally I hate cloned games, and go with the original in most every case. Here's the thing, I love Minecraft and have sunk literally hundreds of hours into the Xbox edition. The Pocket Edition is a joke however. You get a world that is 255 blocks square, with no caves, no way to move or place water or lava, no redstone or pistons. Mojang have given pitiful support to MCPE, where despite making gazillions of dollars, and charging a premium price for the iOS app, the MCPE team consists of two guys. Two. And they work part time because they are also working on other upcoming Mojang projects.

Is this a Minecraft clone? Absolutely. But as Mojang refuse to take a little bit from their vast money pit they swim around in to pay for timely development of their own app then it's hardly surprising to see someone else making a mobile version.

I just want to play Minecraft on the train sometimes. I bought the official version, and it's truly terrible at this point in time. I'm definitely going to throw some money at this guy, if only to try and shame Mojang into pulling their socks up and trying to get their official version to be less terrible.

Good luck to you SurvivalCraft dude, I hope this game does well for you.

5. rdw2552

rdw2552 Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Make it free for a day

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That's the one thing that gets me with MCPE, the world is SO SMALL! :mad: Everything else, IMHO is great though.

Been playing SurvivalCraft for two days now and am really enjoying it. It does have it's own 'feel' and I'd easily recommend it to anyone wanting survival on a larger scale than MCPE right now.

7. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Dude, am I the only one whom has a hard time finding flint for torches??

8. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Why don't you stop whatever you're doing right now and take time out of your life to get on a plane and fly over to my house and mow my lawn for free right now ? .... Goods and services that are worth paying for have a price.

9. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Get some cash and buy it yourself. This game is worth the 4+ dollars.

10. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    I think you can burn planks in a furnace to make coal, either that or burn two wood. That got me through till I stop mined maybe 20 blocks deep and found a nice two stack seam of coal.

11. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hmm, still a bit on the fence about this one, not because I don't trust the great impressions, more the fact I do already enjoy MCPE a ton. I'll think about getting this, though.

12. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    This is amazing!! Why couldn't mojang come up with this rather than the lame mine craft PE we are stuck with. This is the true mine craft PE!! First ever 5/5!!! PS : Runs smooooooth!!

13. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Another question.
    Why should they update Minecraft to include all these features? It's one of the top paid app at 7$, it’s been in the top 10 since god knows when, it has great reviews... Who cares if it doesn't have caves and big worlds? It won't make them much more money.

If anything this game may steal some of the profit Minecraft has been making, maybe then they'll choose to update it to something a bit closer to the real thing, competition is a good thing. Beside, how many "clones" out there are actually doing a better job than the product they immitate?

Minecraft could have destroyed the app store with a full version, but they didn't have to because the current version is doing just fine, hopefully that will change.

14. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Focuses more on realism and has animals, farming and all that sha-bang. It has caves, lava, weather, infinite world, boats.... the list goes on. £2.49 instead of £4.99 for MCPE. I wish I'd found out about this much much sooner. MC is still on my PC, MCPE was deleted along time ago and I've given up on any decent updates. Survival craft will permenatntly be on my idevice

15. noel916

noel916 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    i got it a while back, i like it better than minecraft pe but the controls for minecraft pe are better/easier

16. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    This game. This game is amazing. MC PE is meh, since the world is limited and there aren't that many recipes or blocks.

17. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Well, I guess I don't have much choice! :p I had just one question, is there any chance (directed at people who read the dev blog) that mod support might come eventually? That would be amazing!

18. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    i never played a minecraft game so i got 3 questions.

does the land random generate each time which would mean you never get the same map?

is there a mode like survival from minecraft, which sounded fun?

is there tons to craft and is the world huge!

19. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Split controls aren't really split. I thought the blocks that have the black highlights around it would be the ones that were targeted, but even when I click out of it, it can stil ldewtroy blocks that are not in the highlighted area, making it somewhat frustrating. The split controls act pretty much the same.

20. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    1- Yes random, you can also pick a seed like in Minecraft
    2- Yes survival, also has different difficulty settings
    3- Maybe not as much to craft but not bad, and the worlds are infinite!