Universal Super Stickman Golf 2 - (by Noodlecake Studios Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    #61 mrkgoo, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    I loved the first game, one of the best on the system, I reckon. So this was insta-purchase.

After a few rounds, I can tell there is even more to it, so I have no qualms paying more for IAP. I purchased the XP doubler and power shot indicator (neither are necessary though), immediately!

For some reason, though, the XP doubler buy button didn't register at first, but then it must've caught up and ended up purchasing it multiple times! I *think* I only got charged once though (it thanked me multiple times).

Few games on iOS strike me as being perfect for the system, while still being immensely enjoyable with depth to the gameplay, rock solid programming, great aesthetic design, and just, well, hitting all the right buttons. SSG2 is one of those.

So far, it has hit the next level compared to the first game, while still retaining the same charm and gameplay. Well done!

Most of my games get stuck into genre-based folders, but a few select games that I think are flawless hits my homescreen. I don't think there has been one to go on there as quick as this!

2. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Having a lot of fun with this game. I can tell it will be my most played for a while.

3. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Instant buy for me because I loved the first game. Hopefully The IAP is okay.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It would be cool to read some feedback from someone with the game that didn't buy any of the IAP. I don't have an issue with anyone that does buy IAP, I just don't buy any and I guess I just want some assurance that money earned and stuff comes at a decent pace without a second or third purchase after buying the game.

5. Roachie

Roachie Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Instant buy for me purely based on how awesome the first one was

6. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Loving the game so far.

However, after playing a few courses I decided to check out the multiplayer. The two turns I've played so far are really cool. But I have two suggestions I hope you will strongly consider.

(1) Removing the 'shuffle' option and replacing it with a full course selection scroll list.

When I clicked it to see what it did, it annoyed me. Mainly because it feels like a push to buy IGC. Which would be fine, only this isn't a free game to begin with.

Now, I have not tried playing with a friend yet and this recommendation comes only from random play. But I hope that friend play uses a different course selection menu.

(2) Can we get an option to 'replay' during the replay?

I also have some more things that are more questions than suggestions:

(1) is there a chat feature for online? If not, are there plans for one?

(2) Have you considered blocking the mulligan from online play? Or at least from turn based? I think the 'competiveness' of the turn based aspect would be better if you were forced to live with the shot you take. Or, not have 7 redoes on 9 holes.

(3) Speaking on 'competiveness', what is noodle cakes thoughts on a turn based game mode where 'real' golf rules are used? For example, farthest away from the hole goes first or first person to tee off is the person who did the best on the last hole?

I understand that the game is set up the way it is to promote speed of play, but for me golf is a mental game where decisions are situational and depend largely on your opponent(s).

-
    I'm also sorry for any error I may have. I typed all this on my iPhone.

7. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    #67 TanTan, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    I haven't bought any IAP.

There's a last shot power indicator for $2. Like the name says, it shows how powerful your last shot was. Not needed in any way.

There's an online match slot upgrade to 25 games for $3. Depending on how much you like the game and how many turn based rounds you want to play, you may need this one. You start out with 7 or so and can have another 18 if you buy this.

Then there's the XP doubler for $2. Again, its not needed at all. It's just kind of lame. But I guess that's the price we pay when games cost $1 instead of $40-60+DLC and tax.

Then there's multiple currency options. I can't state at this time if you will need to buy any to unlock every 'hat' because I'm not very far in. I believe you should be fine though as it looks like every achievement gives a varying amount depending upon the difficultly. That said, the Hat machine is based upon probability so it really depends on your luck and how you play the machine.

I also forgot to mention that each coruse has 10 'buxs' on its holes for you to pick up. So there really shouldn't be a problem with IGC or IAP. And if one occurs, I'm sure noodle cake with come up with a solution to the problem.

Edit - I just played a hole and a 'bonus goal' came up. It told me if I got exactly par it would give me two 'buxs'.

If anyone is worried about spending money on IGC, don't be.

8. Megagator

Megagator Member

May 9, 2012
    U.S.
    Awesome, awesome sequel to the best all around iOS game ever. Huge props to Noodlecake! Everything works great, even iCloud, and the IAP implementation seems very fair so far.
    Other than file size, is there a particular reason this app doesn't support the retina display iPads? I think you guys said development started in early 2012 so the iPad 3 was well rumored if not announced/released. Not a deal breaker by any means, but surprising nonetheless.

9. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Played a little bit and as far as I can tell there's no need to purchase anything. I'm loving it so far the graphics are definitely better and the gameplay is more varied.

10. jschidlowsky

jschidlowsky Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    Great to hear! Thanks so much! Great to hear iCloud is syncing as well.

With regards to the IAP. It is in no way necessary to play the game. There is absolutely no paywall... we don't roll like that. IGN did a pretty good 15 minute video here which pretty much nails it in terms of how the in game currency works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtAZ0xEVrY

In regards to the iPad retina display. The primary reason it's not in, is the majority of the game is art assets. The game sits right now at ~30MB. We plan (like the last game) to continually support the game by adding free new content. With retina iPad we would be looking at 4X the file size, which means no one would be able to download the game over 3G. We *MAY* include it later, but it would be DLC 'within the game' so we wouldn't bloat the application size on the app store.

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    In order to get around the download limit, some games allow downloading the retina assets separately (not part of the initial install). I guess that is what you are suggesting.

12. jonnyb086

jonnyb086 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Wow no retina. Party like its 2011? Glad only 99 cents. Who gives a crap about HAVING to download over 3G? You probably would get less complaints about 3G download size than with choosing non retina.

13. jschidlowsky

jschidlowsky Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    It is retina on phones/ipods. Its just not retina on the iPad retina.

14. Boudecea

Boudecea Member

Mar 4, 2012
    When playing with friend in local one of us does not get any sound.It is ok when in single player.Does anyone know how fix that?

15. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    This game is amazing. But i have one problem. I am playing this game on android and i want to play the turn based multiplayer against my friend who has an iphone. How can i search for his username and play against him? I didn't see an option to search for friends in the multiplayer menu.

16. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010

You *SHOULD* include it soon and for free. Instant buy then, not before... Thanks

17. CNWLshadow

CNWLshadow Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #77 CNWLshadow, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    message removed

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    TanTan / grits, thanks. That's what I needed to read. Downloading the game now.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey dude. I almost feel bad bugging you about iPad retina because I loved SSG to death and I know that despite my whining you've still got an amazing game here. My problem is I have OCPD and it gives me a preoccupation with detail and perfectionism, and I'm also into a bit of graphic design myself so I tend to spend a long time nudging pixels to get things just right. As such playing games at non-native resolutions tends to stress me out. No fault of your own obviously, but I would be perfectly happy paying 4x the price for 4x the pixels, whether IAP or a completely separate app.

20. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I commend you for keeping the file size low. Getting sick of shuffling games on and off my device because each wants to come it at 200-300 mb. If you do add retina for the iPad, a separate in-game download for those assets would be appreciated.