Super price drop: What did you pick up?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Sep 30, 2010.

1. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    It doesn't really matter if you have an iPhone4, it should run perfectly fine on your 3G Touch. Plus its really fun :)

2. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    It's been a brutal week for my wallet :eek:

Anyways, here's what I bought today:
    • AR Defender
    • Geometry Wars
    • Mirror's Edge
    • 0.03s Pro
    • Super Mega Worm
    • Fastar!
    • Hybrid 2
    • Angry Birds
    • Osmos
    • Spider
    • Tony Hawk
    • Vanguard Storm
    • Spore Creatures
    (I know, 3 of these aren't on sale)

Games that I already have and recommend:
    • Peggle
    • Real Racing
    • Archetype
    • NHL 2K11
    • Both of the Superstars 2010 Games
    • Crash Bandicoot

Should I get Zombie Infection, Chuzzle, or Bit.Trip Beat?

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ^ Bit.Trip Beat!

4. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    #44 TiltMyTouch, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    While it's a far better baseball game than the rest, it still is definitely plagued with quite a few flaws and issues. However, it has definitely sucked me into playing it for a good while every day since I got it, so that definitely says something about it.

Regarding a previous poster, 9 Innings also is very deep as well. It does keep track of stats of a player throughout a season, there's 3 different modes, and the teams are for the most part complete (though some are not updated). While I'm more acquainted to a more realistic GM-style team management where you sign and trade players, the card collecting aspect of the game definitely is quite entertaining and a pleasant twist to sports games.

5. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #45 Qordobo, Oct 1, 2010
    I had some already (Myst, Spider, Osmos, Zombie Infection, Doom 2 RPG, Doom Classic, Monkey Island 1&2, Archetype, Driver) and some I would like pick at sale price but couldn't because not on sale in my store. :confused:

There's also Puzzle Agent I didn't pick because I could target the iPad version.

So I pick:
    • Geometry Wars (I'm not at ease with Dual stick games and won't really enjoy but for the price it was curiosity to have it anyway, and the ipad version for this price is for me the big bargain of this sale).
    • Doom Resurrection (Didn't took previous sale opportunity and wanted took it but forgot, not that I'll like but it's more to get last Id game I hadn't)
    • Peggle (not even know what I bought, gameplay seems not clear but through comments it seems a good one and the sale was a nice opportunity)
    • Final Fantasy 1&2 (I'll certainly won't really like but play a bit with them will probably be pleasant and was curious to try)
    • Blue Defense: Second Wave (was already on my radar just took the fever opportunity to get it)
    • The Manhole (Not that I'll really like but was curious and it was already on my radar at the sale price)
    • Stoneship (Also on my radar and wanted get it before the sale ends)
    • Super Mega Worm (I had noticed it already but hadn't decided yet, the sale fever push me get it too)
    • Hills And Rivers Remain (I played the demo few month ago and found it good but not enough to rush get it, just took the sale opportunity but took the risk to not try the demo again before)
    • Vanguard Storm (Well wanted Crystal Defenders HD so instead I'll play this one doubled!)
    • Zenonia 2 (Well I didn't like that much the demo nor I found it bad, I took the risk to get it anyway, it's more because I'm a RPG fan)
    • Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 (played a bit Shrek Kart and found it fun and was curious to get Nitro Kart at this sale price to compare)
    • Chuzzle (Ha well few chance I'll like this one more match 3 game but users comments and the sale price push me get it anyway, I'd say that previous Match 3 sale I got was a very pleasant surprise, Montezuma HD)
    :eek:

The point to quote is I don't expect really enjoy most of them, but have some hope for Stoneship, Blue Defense Second Wave, Vanguard Storm, Hills And Rivers Remain, Crash Bandicoot and perhaps also Peggle and Super Mega Worm.

Among those I already knew and if the sales isn't close already, I advice:
    • Myst
    • Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
    • Osmos
    • Zombie Infection
    • Doom 2 RPG
    • Mirror's Edge
    All are very good games.

6. HyphyCus

HyphyCus Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    No. Cali, US
    Archetype
    Bit.Trip Beat (Supposed to be $4.99 at launch?)
    NFS: Shift
    Real Racing

Picked up COD Zombies too, but mainly cuz it's all-in-one now.

Basically the ones that REALLY dropped. I was gonna get Geometry Wars, but AbstractWar v2.0 is so much better.

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Looking back, this sale palooza wasn't really that big of a deal. I just had a revalation with bit.beat trip though, and it blew me away.

8. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    what's so great about bit beat rip? a quick review?

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Not quite sure how to explain it..

Its like pong, you control the paddle and bounce beats back that come at you. Its challenging as hell, the graphics are superbly trippy, and the music is cool too. Really recommend this one.

10. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Looks like i could get high off those graphics...

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    You kinda can lol, the graphics are what drew me in. Its a total package: gameplay, graphics, and sound. Love this game.

12. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Arg you sold me the game, as if I hadn't already buy too many from the sale. And I even took the risk to get the HD version also on sale but with a higher price. Let hope I'll like. :)

13. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I played a little bit beat rip, ok I don't regret have buy it, and I wonder why it's tagged as a musical game, that made me skip it. For a Brick Breaker fan like me it's a must, a sort of mix between Brick breaker, Pong and Shmup.

But but, why the pad is so badly placed? I can't even change the side and it's awful as I would like you my left to manage the paddle.

But the paddle is very close to border and you have to put your finger not in back but in front of the paddle, I don't understand at all this poor design choice. Well worthy one anyway but a big waste of fun through this weak point.

14. RoadRunner123

RoadRunner123 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I picked up...

Final Fantasy 1 (have DS version of FF 2 which is basically 4)
    Osmos
    Call of Duty: Zombies
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Mirrors Edge
    Assasins Creed: Discovery

15. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Hehe :)

Actually, if you use your finger on the right side of the screen, it works perfectly. You can still see the incoming beats, and it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

16. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #56 Qordobo, Oct 1, 2010
    First point thanks anyway to have quote the game I would not have pick otherwise.

About those controls, the first point is this is for right handed and no option for left handed, well that smells like a quick port job.

Second point is on ipad the screen is much more big so your finder is much more far from the pad or hide too much the action and that's highly unpleasant, probably much more than on iphone.

The third point is that anyway, iphone or ipad this strange setup can't beat from far the more natural setup that hundred of pong, breakout or shmup games used. I really wonder how they could have been so pretentious to think they could do better than everybody else. :rolleyes: The truth is it's a stupid quick port from a game with a mouse to a weak touch design, a game great with a mouse but not that great with those poor touch controls, at least on ipad. A big waste, I hope they'll fix it in a future version, at least for ipad version, perhaps for the tiny iphone the setup is ok and just need an option for left handed.

EDIT: About a bad point another point I bet they failed too because of a dirty quick port is the speed, in no way a finger swipe on the large ipad screen could reach the speed of a mouse... I bet they tune nothing in the game to manage this.

17. peterthegeek

peterthegeek Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I got Peggle, Osmos, Archetype, and Spider.

18. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    I just purchased COD: Zombies. I couldn't resist.

19. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    So far, I've got Puzzle Agent, Mirror's Edge, and Blue Defense: Second Wave. I would have gotten Geo Wars, if it worked on my device.

20. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Call of Duty: Zombies
    Real Racing
    Archetype
    BIT.TRIP BEAT
    Spider
    ARDefender
    Blue Defense: Second Wave

I think I made cool choices in this sale right?

I'm done buying for a while...