iPad Super Methane Bros in Breach of GPL2

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lubby, Mar 6, 2009.

1. lubby

lubby Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Newly released game, ported under the the GNU GPL2 license.

Source code has not been made available. Link developer provides for email support does not exist. These people are stealing from the open source community and you. This application should not be FOR SALE until the source code is made readily available via download link or valid email request.

This app is originally written and provided to the community for free. Is it right they can charge you for it? NO. The GPL2 license requires that the complete source code is made available to everyone.

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  3. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Just to be clear, they don't have to give the game away for free.

What they do have to do is, after you've bought it, give you the source code and let you do anything with it (including putting it back on the app store for free).

4. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I would need to check the license to make sure, but I thought that the GPL code doesn't have to be publicly available, but can be made available on request.

5. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Yes, and further only on request to those who have bought your product. I could make an "I am GPL rich" app for $999, and would only have to give out the source to people who bought it.

However, one thing it does look they are doing wrong is you do have to tell people in an easy way to find (manual or some such) that the app is under the GPL, and that they are allowed to ask for the source.

6. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    It does say on the app description that the app is under GPL and source is available on request.

It's also repeated on the support page here: http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/SMB/

7. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Woops, I missed that, but that isn't their fault.

Then, this whole thread is pointless, and they are doing nothing wrong...

8. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Typo in the email for mobilainteractive.

Sorry guys, there was a typo in the support email provided to the app store. I've submitted the correction and it will be visible in the app store once released by Apple. If anyone wants the source and has purchased the app, please email me at support@mobilainteractive.com

Again, I apologize for the broken email, it was completely unintentional.

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I have not purchased the app.

Could someone send me a copy please? PM for my email, thanks.

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    ???? You want someone to PM you so you can give them your email so they can send you what? If you haven't purchased the game then you aren't entitled to anything.

11. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    The code is GPL and should be supplied to someone who has purchased it. I'm not entirely sure if that is true but I'll go with it for now.

Once someone has that GPL code they can give it to anyone at all. It's free.
    There is no requirement for them to tell anyone, to sell it again, to do anything.
    They can give it away freely.

So I'd like a copy :)

12. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    The email address provided does not exist. In fact, the domain does not seem to exist. That is the point. The dev has just told us that is the result of a typo. So this thread has served it's purpose as intended.

I would understand if you now feel it appropriate to apologize to lubby because his/her concern was indeed valid. :)

13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well, I'll tell you what then. You send me the $1.06 (after tax) to buy the game, then I'll be more than happy to send you the source when I get it :D

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hence the problem with GPL if one is not into that sort of deal.

15. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    True.
    This is a closed market though. Even if I had the source I'm not about to grab Apple's SDK and start trying to create.
    BUT - I could get the code, change maybe the name submit it to Apple at a price of $0.00. There is the risk for whoever made this one - but then that was the risk the original author took when he gave his work away for free.

GPL issues are going to happen repeatedly though and like has been said, you can charge what you want. It does not have to be given away for nothing.

(And would I pay for the code? No, that's just it, I can get it for free :) )

16. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I purchased the game on the App Store. I requested the source code. I was supplied with the source code. Case closed.

As for anyone interested to know how the game plays; it is very much like Bubble Bobble. It would be fun except the framerate in this version is unbearably slow. Hopefully that will soon be addressed in an update. Or, if there is anyone with the motivation and know-how to optimize and recompile and redistribute; I know someone with a copy of the source code. Haha :p

17. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    #17 TKO, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    hehe.. Yes, it plays almost exactly like Bubble Bobble. Unfortunately the size of the characters (player and enemy) makes the levels a little too crowded at times. It is fun though. I like the little steam-train goodies to be collected. :)

Just played it. Huh.. Slow frame-rate. Awkward controls. Just a quick port? Someone *should* take the source and work on it. (I've got the original Amiga version, and that 14MHz (AGA) machine played it a whole lot faster, with cool sound and CD music. I would have thought my 500MHz phone could do that. :|

18. deniska

deniska New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #18 deniska, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Hi,

I am one of the developers behind the Iphone port.
    Thanks for the feedback.. As far as the frame rate goes - there is currently a 50ms hard-coded wait (usleep) between each frame. If all of you guys believe that this is too slow for the game play this can be easily tweaked in the next update... Of course, Iphone's CPU has enough power to render the game at much higher frame rate w/o any performance enhancements to the existing code... Here is the video running the game on my Itouch 2g: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTzlNopLYE. Please take a look and let me know if your version is running much slower. If so, there may be some other problem that we missed while testing on our hardware...

As far as controls go.. we tried a few different configurations, including partial accelerometer control (for left/right) movement.. You can see those currently commented out in the code...In the next update, we'll try to give user a choice between a few different control configurations.. but we all know that no matter how you tweak it -it's not gonna substitute for real d-pad/joystick :-(