Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks for your support!! New Screenshots are up and Iam working on the bonus side game as we speak. I decided for the bonus mini-game to unlock will be a runner based on the monochrome graphics level of Super Meebo. All I need to do is finish the bonus mini-game and the boss. After that the game will be submitted to apple!!

2. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Alriiiiight! I really support the Devs who show that they love their games, by buying the game. It is so simple. Many devs out there do not love their games they just make them just to say they made a game or just to earn money. You in your first post shout from miles: " I love my game and i am proud of it " and that in my humble opinion is the most important thing in a game. Thanks for keeping us up to date :) Waiting for the
    release!!!!

3. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Alright I wasnt going to do this because I already posted a thread in an upcomming section but check this out...
    IOS is about to get an super fun platformer soon!! So stop arguing and look to the future of IOS games!!

Attached Files:

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #44 mr.Ugly, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    i agree with enlevel here.. that sounds like horrible adivce..

build something can can be reskinned? to start flooding the store with more pointless clones.. just now this time from yourself? very odd advice..

in the end every games texture, icons whatever can be completly reskinned
    and you can make a crystal/diamond match 3 into a fruit one within a short timeframe.. but this is true to pretty much any game.. if you want to do that..

and the cat is out .. and meehh.. thats the outcome from going indie and being to learn from the errors of two companies you worked for before?

this smells like the return of an old kreholic friend.. if its you roy.. i hope you realise you will be soon banned again?

5. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Well seem me you got me mistaken for someone else. I havent yet released a game, this will be my 1st on my own. I probably finish my game sometime this week and submit to apple.

6. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

Strictly going by the link in your footer...

My advice right now is don't release your game with those graphics (if they are final). That UI and inconsistent look will kill your app right out of the gate. If you don't know an artist go to a free lance site and hire someone from there for cheap.

Do not rush the game out simply to have something on the app store.

7. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #47 mr.Ugly, Jun 26, 2012
    yeah maybe.. if thats true, my mistake.. sorry

and +1 to razorics comments.. with such graphics i would strongly suggest to no release that game..

find an artist.. looks like prio #1 for your game

edit: and you can find alot just a section below http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

8. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #48 PixelPower, Jun 26, 2012
    Yes those graphics are probably the best I could make on my own as Iam mainly a programmer who never had to do art before. Actually I redid the graphics as before they were bad, I feel as I improved them alot. I dont have a budget for an artist that mainly my problem. I will look into options and I really want an artist for the long term. I used pixen and inkscape but Iam not a artist by trade.
    I did take my time with the game programming wise if you read the description I added alot of elements that platforming games dont feature all together. The game has a main campain and 2 unlockable mini-games for the launch. Hoping for the best!!

9. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Ok just finished up the 2 bonus games you can unlock with the coins you earn in the main quest. One is a endless runner in monochrome where you can jump and shoot , the other is like 8bit ninja where you collect coins while avoiding foe's. The last thing to do is making the final boss which is taking me longer than I thought it would. Here is the bonus mini-games screenshots!!

Attached Files:

10. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Stop lying you did that on purpose:mad: Just kidding Iam looking forward to trying the lite since you said it had different levels not the same ones on the main campain.

11. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    How many downloads does it take to reach top 100,50,and 25?

I searched the forum , maybe Iam doing something wrong. I cant find how many downloads it takes to reach top 100 ,50, and 25 in the U.S. appstore? I know it takes 150 downloads to reach top 400 but thats about it.

12. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    It really depends. In which country? All of them?

5k unit downloads a day will get you into the top 20 paid downloads in the US. Maybe the top 10.

13. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

Good luck with your game. One thing that bugs me from the screenshots is the X next to the amounts , really not necessary I think. Also, have you considered swipe controls ?

14. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you answered it yourself.. youre a programmer..

and if this is better than before i dont wanna see before.

the point is no matter what kind of extensive gameplay & featureset you implement.. the graphics sucks..

you compete against highly polished games from big to small teams and
    with that look it will fall directly into the junk category, no matter what.

as for teaming up.. you dont need money.. if your games core is good and you find artists who are good they see what the game could become before they make the first sprite.

apps are first and foremost sold about ther look, because thats what your customers see in the store.. an icon, 5 screenshots and text most people dont bother to read.

15. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #56 PixelPower, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    The X is usually standard in platform games, thats the only reason I put it in there. I didnt use swipe controls because most gamers who play these types of games like to see the controls. However if it was a more casual game, yes I would have looked into implementing them. Also here is a screenshot of the boss battle.

Attached Files:

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well done for not adding swipe controls. For a platformer like this has to be buttons. Swipe controls wouldnt work well with this at all

17. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
  18. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Yes I figured most platformer players like button and also I see bigger companies (EA,Gameloft,Capcom) only using onscreen buttons for thier games so players wouldnt get to confused. It depends on the game type, more casual game the less buttons are needed. This game is more of a deeper adventure game type, so onscreen buttons are nesssary.

19. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012

I went with the control style I thought was best through letting people try the game and using thier feedback to make the desicion of making onscreen buttons with an activation region around them so you could miss pressing the button but still be in control.