Universal Super Meat Boy Forever (by Team Meat & Thunderful Publishing)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I saw the giant blade destroying the box in the hole. But the hole is blocked from the top, so I just auto-run over it.

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    In the beginning I couldn’t wrap my head around the pricing. I mean, the production value is top notch. Music, graphics, animations… controls are super smooth. Procedurally generated levels. Why would anyone ask 99 cents for something this amazing? And then I gave it a try. After 15 minutes and 3 levels in my options are either to smash my phone against a wall or break it in half out of rage. It’s been a while since I had trouble even make it through the tutorial. So yeah, those 99 cents sounds about right for those 15 minutes. No regrets though.:D

elcrazy likes this.
  3. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Yep. The floor is also disappearing for me in the clinic. Shame that after 8 years of development and 3 years of release bugs as big as this still exist. But otherwise the game is really good so far.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

While we’re on the cutscene topic, it sounds like the audio is oriented to portrait position, so it sounds a little off. You can tell by flipping your phone 90° when they pop up and then flip back to landscape.

Other than that, I haven’t gotten stuck from the random chunk setup or noticed any more bugs. I finally beat the first boss last night but couldn’t get past the first level of The Clinic.

You can really get around once you nail down the diving and punching mechanics. I was able to damage all the red lights on the boss for 3-5 hits per go by combining the dive attack with the punch attach in one approach.

Best use of $0.99 on the App Store in quite a while. Though, like Macplash mentioned, I’m getting frustrated on this new level :mad::cool:

Edit: So, once I figured out how the timer ring around your character works, I flew through The Clinic’s first 3 levels (and by “flew through” I really mean “I only died 45 times” :D).

adamphetamine likes this.
  5. The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I se
    I seem to have fixed mine, for some reason my settings had changed to 30FPS. I set it back to 60FPS and it works fine again now

6. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Same. Weird that bug happens at all and exclusively on 30FPS tho. The floor came back as well.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don’t think you’re doomed, but you have to think about how to get past the segment you’re stuck in, since even finding tips for each of the 7000 segments to see where you’re stuck would be a pain.

Btw, I think you didn’t get right Metalcasket’s post: there are 7000 separate handcrafted segments of levels, and the game chooses which segments to put together in a given level. They aren’t fully random.

I think the devs put A LOT of love in this game. When playing on my iPhone I couldn’t see the graphical details because they were too small for my eyesight, but on iPad it’s amazing: the detail put into everything is just incredible. Just check the animations of the main character and his gestures and you’ll see for yourself.

adamphetamine likes this.
  8. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Problem is, the place I am stuck at, there doesn’t seem to be a solution to it. I have tried it several times. And the game only allows you to do some much based on its mechanics. So I am inclined to believe that it is a bug more than a lack of skills. (Thanks to the way levels are generated like you said)

Yes, I do not deny that the game is very polished and has amazing production values. But for me, game design is the most important aspect.

This, not only makes me feel like throwing my phone away (which I had expected), but now is making me doubt whether I am wasting my time on something that is not even my fault.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Can you post a screenshot of the zone where you’re stuck?

10. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Just cannot complete this jump to avoid the smaller blades or the giant one chasing me.

Attached Files:

11. Anotherkellydown

Jump over the large and small saw > dive down and slide under the small saws > jump up to the wall > jump off the wall & over the big saw to the upper-left wall?

Also, things like diving (tap left side in air) and mid-air punching (tap right side in air) make avoiding the saw easier.

12. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    I have tried jumping off the wall several times. But the jump is just not high enough to avoid the upper blade.

13. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    This got to be the best dollar I ever spent.

Bought the game yesterday morning, afraid the $1 pricing was an error or something... I have been hooked for hours already.

it is an auto runner, if someone isnt into auto runner I dont think this game will change their mind, however I can say this is probably the best auto runner I have ever played. I often find auto runners to lack any semblance of depth and be extremely repetitive, this game manages to feel like mixing some puzzle elements in and feels like a joy to dismantle. While controls are limited you still have a few options, air punching, diving and crouching actually adds that little layer of depth that makes the gameplay loop so fun, it helps that the controls are also super tight.

Game is definitely hard as balls, I guess if you are the kind to be frustrated when you die at the same times repeatedly you may want to avoid.... although at that price you can still try it haha.

To add, the story bits/cutscenes are absolutely hilarious and the artstyle is gorgeous.

Honestly I dont think ive ever played a $1 game as fun as this, highly recommended

14. Anotherkellydown

Rocksaint and metalcasket like this.
  15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Anotherkellydown likes this.
  16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #37 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    I’ve played that segment. Here goes how I did it. L = left button (duck) and R = right button (jump). The jump from the first R to the second R is to let the big saw go up and avoid being killed by it. Btw, before the first L, I think I had to duck just before falling on the floor to have enough time to jump and let the saw go past me.

EDIT: here’s the video, so that you can see how I do it:

Attached Files:

Rocksaint likes this.
  17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yeah, that’s the segment, it’s the same I played. What you didn’t do is get the pacifier. In my video, I go to where the pacifier is (but it isn’t there any more because I got it already, lol).

18. Anotherkellydown

I recorded my level 1-5 and sent you the link in your DMs.

19. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah. I did manage to clear it 1-2 times out of 10-20 attempts. It seems I wasn’t sliding enough on the wall to get the elevation to jump over the blades. Still, I feel the jump is quite inconsistent.

But thanks for sharing the video.

Anotherkellydown likes this.