Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I knew you were, just man gamers these days are so young lol, my days were the Atari system, that was the bomb back then lol.

On topic: I fully agree, people these days cry for premium or the famous "insta-buy" cry, but when the price comes out, they bitch and moan, that's why premium is dying. I'm all for premium games. My time you want it, buy it, there were never free games.

2. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    The online-only thing is my only gripe. It's a significant one, given that it means I'm unable to play the game at the one time which I actually have set aside for mobile gaming (I get no signal for 90% of my train journey to/from work).

Still, it's so well done that I had to buy it.

3. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I'm 46 and remember my mom paying 49.99 for Atari Pac man. The damn mouth faced the same direction for goodness sake.

4. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Well played.

5. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    #165 thetrackt, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Great game.

Fun, simple version of Mario.

Lots of replay value.

Great graphics.

Really excited to dig in further… Good on you Nintendo for having some class with mobile.

By the way…this game makes me SO EXCITED for Switch.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I was fooled by the screen talking about restoring your game even if deleted from the device. I think it is talking about restoring the entire game state.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Your second and fourth points are my main reasons for buying this. Sure, it is a fun runner! I just hope their next single player game (like a Zelda or Metroid) doesn't require my device to connect to their servers to play. I get it for Animal Crossing and maybe Fire Emblem. But I want to find out what's beyond that. And that means I need to support this for sure. Plus, it'll be a nice break from playing all those classic Mario games on my phone already!

8. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I honestly don't get it. It seems like in the last few years any somewhat large game release thread is filled with "connection required....deleted", "wait for $0.99 sale", "overhyped garbage", "f2p deleted" and so on. While it's ok to have a negative opinion, the hot take shitposts really turn people from having real discussions. I know this garbage has made me look to other places for iOS discussion as this forum is a shadow of it's former self.

People get mad about f2p, so Nintendo releases a premium game with a $10 unlock (which people here beg for in every f2p thread), and people say the game isn't with it. I mean it should come at no surprise that developers have abandoned premium pricing.

9. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This please? Anyone know for SURE??? Being it come with coins and tickets it "might" be a consumable iap thing and each device will have to pay. I've already bought the unlock for my iPhone 6s Plus, but it'll be a bummer if I have to pay for the kids iPads :(

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This has already been answered a few times but no, as long as each device is logged in using the same iTunes ID used to purchase the unlock, then it'll give the unlock to the other devices for free.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I tried it on 1 other device and there was no problem with restoring the IAP. I can't comment on restoring the game state, but you will get all the worlds opened up. Actually, because I was not sure, I initially cancelled the purchase, and the next time it just said I had already purchased and did I want to re-download.

12. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #172 Intendro, Dec 16, 2016
    Unfortunately, buying it also says online requirement in single player games is okay, and that is not okay.

Attached Files:

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    All of this. Someday relatively soon we'll be shutting off the lights on Toucharcade and the forums and I wonder if any of these people will look back and remember how good we had it having an avenue to directly talk to developers and other mobile gamers in such a rad community.

14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Wait what? I've been a member here for a very long time and I'm not quite sure I can do without this forum. I love the little family we have here

15. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #175 Montanx, Dec 16, 2016
    I'm just being real, there is an hour of content here. I will be shocked if any of you are playing this in a month or two if not a week. Buying this instead of a game like Bully which is cheaper is criminal. Buy both ok fine, support premium, we need that. But this is nothing short of a fleecing and if that's what premium needs to gain legitimacy, so be it.

Btw, online only is not a negative for me and doesn't factor into the criticism. I expect every game to be online only.

16. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    This game is not that good. It's too easy and too expensive.

17. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    What the hell? Why say doom? I'd flip the fek out if TA shut down.

18. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Same here. Very well done game and $10 well spent. Sure it's bite sized Mario but it's worth every penny.

Having said that, I really hate games requiring a constant internet connection, and there's no excuse for a premium title like this to have it. I understand the anti piracy issue which it sounds like is the main reason, but it could do periodic checks instead of what they did. I'll continue playing it and enjoying it, but I really hope they eventually change that. Makes it unplayable for those of us who travel a lot and don't want to pay for wifi in the air or on a train.

19. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I hope the lights aren't going off anytime soon. That said, I do wish there was someway to get things back to how things were when most game threads were lively discussions, both negative and positive, about the games and not just the same old rants and shitposts we see in every major thread these days.

On the game, I'm loving it so far. I can see myself repeating every level a ton of times to get everything. Hopefully we see ongoing development and enchantments to the game.

20. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    try getting all the pink, purple, and black coins in level 1 first this is nowhere near "easy"