Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Pretty much standard Nintendo stuff from the last decade. You get used to it. :p

2. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    But seriously.. what on earth is so special about this game?

3. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    So 10 bucks seem expensive but i paid it and will skip my Starbucks the next two times.

So when you tap the red house on the main screen a picture pops up and says kingdoms past. Any idea what that means? Should I build my hood to match the picture? Maybe ill get something special.

4. Oneironaut3

Oneironaut3 Member

Aug 30, 2012
    what's your tweak?

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Read the thread. There is no shortage of impressions. But for me personally: the levels are super well-designed with multiple paths to explore and lots of tricky jumps to make. And the coin collecting thing is genius, essentially making each level completely new again when you go back to collect the different sets of coins. The Toad Rally is also incredibly fun racing against your friends' ghosts. I could see playing Toad Rally well beyond after I've beat all the campaign levels and collected all the coins. The city building stuff is kind of dumb, but the mini-games are actually pretty fun and it's nice having goals to shoot for in terms of unlocking all the different buildings and items.

It's one of the most entertaining games I've ever played on my iPhone and I've literally played thousands of them.

6. Bluejunco

Bluejunco Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Please tell me you can play this in landscape mode?

7. ReluctantFr0g

ReluctantFr0g Member

May 21, 2013
    Slow. Non response controls. Utterly bored. This is a generic runner with very little going for it. Ten bucks? Hahahahhahahahaha

I am super sad about all of this. :(

8. ReluctantFr0g

ReluctantFr0g Member

May 21, 2013
    Nothing.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for such a stellar contribution to this discussion! Bravo!

10. Oneironaut3

Oneironaut3 Member

Aug 30, 2012
    crashes here too, and i was jailbroken 6+ months back. restored & updated twice since, but i fail to believe it merely a coincidence that we all (along with current JB devices) are all having the same problem.

anyone know what gives here?

11. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Man, I'm freaking loving this! Just got all black coins for World 1. To me, it seems like a perfect blend of iOS and Mario platforming. I'm a lifetime Mario fan, Super Mario 64 is the standout game of my childhood. Really hope this game is successful and we get more great games from Nintendo on iOS. Purchasing the full game was a no-brainer for me.

12. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States

I never thought I'd say this at the ripe old age of 22, but back in MY day, we paid $35 for Gameboy games and we liked it!

Kids these days, with their $10 super mario runs and their iPod phones....

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Gonna take my time with this game, gonna play the whole year next year, hoping for lots of updates.

I always say nice things about a game I like, and when I don't like it I say nothing about it, maybe a tip for the haters ha ha, come on people have some fun in this other so hateful world, what's with all the hate anyway, are you haters unhappy with your life, that must be the case.

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

22? Son I'm old enough to be your dad, lol!

On topic: I bought because owned a NES and Super Mario Bros. $10 is nothing, so I won't get my Starbucks, this will last me longer than 30 minutes, plus its Nintendo. You want premium, pay the price.

15. giantfart12

giantfart12 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    If i spend the $10 on it will i be able to go play offline? I'm in the middle of nowhere so there's basically nowhere on the road with connection.

16. kdavis220

kdavis220 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Same thing here...I was jail broken before but I have 10.2 now which there is no jailbreak released and the game does the same thing. Crashes at startup

17. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I don't think so, think it's online only.

18. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    I was mostly referring to the people who are being overly dramatic about the price point :p

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    That's really sad and astonishing at the same time that you guys that were once jailbroken and have even restored since then, are having this crash, the same crash that the jailbreakers are having. Perplexing to know that there must be some fragment or trace left of the jailbreak even after restoring. Sorry you guys have to have this crash as me, with a current jailbreak, I just downloaded tsprotector from Cydia and it did the trick. Sounds like you'll need an update to come through from Nintendo, should they choose to address this issue.

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Ok, played through the main campaign once now, and as fun as it is (level design is truly great), it still feels like a teaser for a fully realized Mario platformer. On-screen virtual controls DO WORK. There are many great platformers out there. And the argument of poeple not wanting to pay for that is just ridiculous and just shows that they don't really understand this platform. They will earn shitloads with this auto runner. And they would earn just as much if not more with a real Mario platformer.

Will spend a few more hours with races and try to complete a couple of purple coin runs, but if they don't update this game with more content over time, it's definitely not a keeper. I won't compain about the price, more games should cost some more bucks. But this is not - yet - the Mario I am looking for.