Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I suck at it, but love it! Buying the full now.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm really trying to wrap my head around some of these hyper-negative supremely cynical reactions from so many long-time, super old-school members of the TouchArcade community who have seen how far iOS gaming has come. I mean, we're talking a platform that got its start with solitaire and ball-rolling maze games that absolutely no one took seriously for the longest time. Just imagine back to when Illusion Labs' Labyrinth was the coolest god damn thing any of us had ever seen and think how you'd react to the idea of Nintendo releasing a real-deal Mario game that you could play on your iPod touch in between sessions of Minigore. It'd be unbelievable, too good to be true, and for $10? It'd be unfathomable on the level of suggesting that you'd ever be able to play a Sonic game on your Nintendo console.

I'm not sure if we've just gotten spoiled because of the incredible amount of content that's available for free now, or if it's because everyone has a backlog of 50 games on their iPhone they haven't even launched yet, but I'm just dumbfounded. Super Mario Run is a super fun game, that's incredibly polished, does a great job at adapting the Mario formula to touch devices without zany virtual controls, and does it all without any free to play shenanigans. Honestly, this is really pretty close to the best case scenario of what Nintendo could have released as their first real game on the App Store.

If you're the kind of person who is always clamoring for "real" games on the App Store, and aren't buying this one for a laundry list of really weird reasons, I'm really not sure what to tell you. It's this exact mindset that encourages developers to create the games that "hardcore" gamers hate, because they make these gamer-y games and instead of getting excited, people are doing weird things like making sure the cost per hour lines up with other iOS games.

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I not find fun. I try to find fun. I not find fun. Why not find fun? Is not me fun. I want find fun is not there!

;)

Just not my kinda game, I think. If this kinda runner is your scene, though, fill your boots as it's quite a warm experience. I'll just go back to the Lovecraftian hell-climes of Blood Roofs instead. I tend to love slow, exploratory experiences the most when it comes to platformers, but you know I regularly get future shock with how the world's changed from under my feet, so I guess this Mario is made for people of a different generation/with different proclivities to me. I do hope it makes them fall in love with the plumber the way I did when I used to hold marathon matches of Super Mario World with all the kids in that caravan park (I was the only one with a snes). DELETED! :D

4. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #124 bossjaja, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    That's what I dislike as well. There's obviously room for criticism of the game, but the over-the-top doom and gloom reactions are just silly. :rolleyes:

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    MOSTEST OVERHYPED PIECE OV GARBAGE EVUR, yo!

6. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    What your $10 purchase provides:

-A fun and polished Mario game on your mobile device

-An incentive for Nintendo to create more premium mobile games

-A little increase in the legitimization of mobile platforms as mainstream gaming options

-A notice from you to other developers and publishers that premium games without consumable IAPs can be hits

If these things are worth money to you, then get to it.

7. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished world one and looking forward to the rest of the game.

I played more than 2500 games in 7 years of IOS out of the one million out there, and there are 200 really great ones among them and Super Mario Run is one of them, Congrats Nintendo for the fun and nothing but fun you bring us.

8. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    You can be sure that Nintendo will charge extra $ for extra levels .

9. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    Seems mostly positive to me. Nintendo intentionally generated a whole universe of hype to ratchet up their share prices. Of course there'll be a few people who got sucked into that magneton, then got confused and angry when they found out that it was only a mere game. People are fallible. Plus, as in my case, there are those who just have different tastes. Maybe I should trawl through the thread looking for those negative nellies (or negative nancies if they're she-trolls), but y'know you can't make people like things. I'm happy mobile's come so far! Total War and Grim Fandango and FF9 and Xcom and all of that high-end shit on a lil rectangle's something else. I still prefer Snake to SMR, though. :p

10. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Played only 15minutes so far and I'm really impressed. Looks like I need to get a Gift Card as soon as possible!

11. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    OK...well fulcizombie goes and posts right after me, making me look like a prize idiot. Dude's done that in other threads, too! I'd just read everything he says as if it's melodramatic, OTT dialogue from a badly-dubbed Italian splatter film and it sounds less threatening.

ETA: Aaaand he's gone.

12. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Played 5 minutes... this is such a boring game ..
    Dont get why people are so amazed ...

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I loved it straight away, I was expecting to be dissapointed but after having spent a few more hours with the game there's quite a lot of depth to it.

You need to do more than just tap to jump, there's several moves you can do which are all located in the notebook in the menus.

Six worlds does seem short and when I first unlocked I was hoping there'd be a second page or something, I'll admit I did feel bit deflated but I can see now that there's gonna be many many hours worth of content. I thought I'd have finished by now but I'm still on world two!!

If all you plan to do is run through each world then yes, the game is going o be short and maybe not require much skill, but if you plan to properly beat the game there's certainly a requirment of skill and timing along with memorising the course to grab those special coins needed. Are those who are saying they've completed or beat the game in hour or two meaning they've actually just ran through each of the levels?

I've found the game drains my battery quite quickly. I've changed settings to power saving mode and it has made a noticeable difference, the game also runs much more smoother too without much loss of quality.

One area I'm struggling with is training myself not to automatically jump to bounce on a goomba etc. You'd think it wouldn't matter too much but I'm finding you need to time some jumps accurately and there's no room for error when you wanna grab the special coins, and jumping at the time I would when playing on the Wii, can mess everything up.

I think it's fairly piced, but when you consider that many games give more levels for as little as 79p I can see why so many think this is expensive. Beating the free levels (not just running tough) is more than enough experience to decide if it's worth the price. In every area of life, if I don't feel something is worth the price I simply don't buy it, rather than sulk and rant that the price should be lowered to what I feel it's worth to me.

It's easily worth the price if you plan to fully beat the the level as unless you are Andy it's going to take many hours to beat. Beating the first three levels is enough to let you see just how challenging the game can be and is enough to make an informed purchase choice. (my daughter was talking about you yesterday, has been wondering if you'd be playing Andy, she said she's going to try and beat you lol)

14. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Overachiever.:D

15. Bookworm21

Bookworm21 Active Member

Jul 10, 2016
    I mean, it was fun, but sadly I'm getting regular pauses/lag on my iPhone 5 and that's making it hard to enjoy the game.
    If performance improvements come I'll probably go for it - not sure if it's my home wifi or just my old phone. Either way, neither of those are getting replaced so back to fallout 3 it is...

16. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Spot on.

I'll hold my hands up to thinking at first what earth have you done Nintendo, this is a standard auto runner with a Mario theme but then by the time I'd finished the free stuff I realised that it's a Nintendo standard auto runner and happily threw my money on the table.

The one thing I really really hate with a passion though is the design of the font and dialogue boxes - they look cheap and don't fit the rest of the aesthetic.

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't even imagine what people would say if we tried to review a game after playing it for only 5 minutes.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Do you have to repurchase for each device unless linked to a Nintendo account?

If so, quite a problem with IAP if each device has to pay.

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Did you try turning down the graphics options in the settings?

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Not if all the devices are using the same iTunes account that purchased the unlock.