Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Pro tip indeed. I was just about to feed the trolls, but you're right. I'm just going to enjoy the game!

2. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hahahahahaa I just now got the AppStore notification that Super Mario Run! Is here download it now!

I'm already to world 3. Atleast we know it does work. You figure how many millions of notifications had to go out??

And I hear ya Boardumb. I love this game. It's just awesome. I think Nintendo has done a great job. I'm addicted.

Billy

3. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Not me either only cuz of toucharcade I knew

4. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Here is my opinion now, I dont intend to start a flamewar but just state my thoughts :

I think this is a very well done mobile game, it truly makes use of casual cell phone gaming and adds wonderful production values and a lot of style to it.

That being said I do feel the game is a bit overpriced for what it is in its current state, a lot of other games are much less on the app store and just as enjoyable. If more content is being released later though this comment will become moot.

With that being said I still feel like this game deserve 5 stars, its a different yet familliar take on mario, does a very good job at catching the "mobile essence" in its gameplay and is just very darn fun to play in short bursts.

If you have the money I suggest it !

5. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm almost certain they will improve the game and add more levels in the future.

It will get better, but for now i don't recommend it for 10$.

They will probably make a sale eventually. For 5$ it's worth it, even if it's just for 1h.

6. GMDbluetoad

GMDbluetoad Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Can't wait until I get my phone back to play this :D

I come from the geometry dash forums :)

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    [​IMG]

8. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #108 bossjaja, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Here's how I justify my game purchases:

I divide the price by how many hours I can expect to get out of the game. So for example, a $40 3DS game that'll last 10 hours is worth about $4/hour for entertainment. Compared to a movie in theaters, which is about $8/hour, that's pretty decent. I usually try for games that'll get me a better rate, but $4/hour isn't bad.

Now, for Super Mario Run, I've already put in 2 hours and I'm not even done with the first world. Given the 360 total special coins, the toad rally, kingdom builder, etc, I can probably expect somewhere between 20-30 hours of gameplay. That means I'm paying somewhere near 50¢ / hour, which is crazy cheap for a Nintendo game of this quality.

I understand where you're coming from, but $10 is such a little amount when you think about how many hours you'll get out of it. (This is all assuming you actually like Mario games + auto-runners. If you don't, then this isn't the game for you).

9. ccarvajal84

ccarvajal84 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I'm incredibly surprised with the game, even after a not so great impression trying it in the Apple Store.

For those who criticise the amount of content, have you tried to collect the pink, purple and green coins of each level? Each color changes the elements inside the level, making it like a completely new one. After 3 hours of play I still didn't pay and I'm not even able to catch the 5 green coins in level 3, I have to memorise the level and calculate the jumps with pixel perfect precision. Is really really hard and is only level 3, so I can't imagine the next levels. Super happy seeing the amount of content and the clever level design.

After eight months playing everyday Leap Day this is really welcome.

10. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I do understand your point and I want to make one thing clear : I dont regret buying this one bit, I love it.

Im just saying theres other games that can fit the bill, gove you just as much if not more time of the same caliber of quality, for less.

Again, once theres more content (and it does definitely sound like there will be) my comment will be completely out of line, and I love being able to compete with my friends as well.

11. Emeritus-III

Emeritus-III Active Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Damn, getting the black coins in the third phase of lvl 2-1 (ghost house) is a pain in the ass.. totally didn't expect the lvl layout to change so drastically :)

12. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Not out in Japan...

13. yasasnirmana@gmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    YouTuber
  14. smiffee666

smiffee666 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 29, 2012
    UK
    s'good so far, can see myself pouring hours into it once i'm back in broadband land but 4g now almost chewed up, 3 hours on the 1st 3 free levels, time flies wen ur eatin pie's, defo purchase the full game tomorrow fo sho

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Someone who gets it. Finally.

Also, can we please not compare this to the Rayman games? I LOVE those games TO DEATH. The first two at least. The first had incredible level designs, the second not so much...but it took mostly everything that made the first great and made it feel like a full-fledged game. The free-to-play one? No thanks. That said, let's not kid ourselves...those games practically played themselves, and any death in the Rayman games can be attributed to you simply not tapping at the right time/missing a Lum. They're like rhythm games with no rhythm. They're completely void of strategy.

Where Mario Run completely trumps the Rayman games is in the fact that to complete the game to 100%, as said above, you need to study each and every nook and cranny of these levels, memorize them, memorize the layouts of the coins, enemy placement, etc. etc. etc.

Also, what in the world do the Rayman games have that even dares to rival Toad Rally?

That is all. I couldn't help but feed the trolls, but man did I have to get that off my chest. Respond accordingly, but I'm done defending SMR.

16. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    They really nailed it imo. Perfect one touch runner platformer. Awesome feeling playing a new mario game on iphone!

17. Bathplug

Bathplug Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    It was fun for 5 minutes. Deleted.

Also for those asking no it doesn't support game centre. To secure your gamesave you'll need a nintendo account.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Game crashes every single time I try to connect with Facebook.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Wow 12 pages already. That has to be a record

20. sinanayurt

sinanayurt Active Member

Feb 10, 2015
    İs 6 worlds enough for price? How many world include 3ds versions? Its just looks like a little bit short for me.