Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    When you get to 9999 mushrooms, the global counter doesn't go up, but the individual counter for each color does. No worries for not getting enough green mushrooms to unlock the classic Luigi block, you can continue earning them after you max out the global counter.

I'm hunting the black coins atm. That's the only thing I'm missing. I admit that after achieving those, the game hasn't got much attractive to me. Nonetheless, with Super Mario World it happened the same: once you unlocked the 96 worlds, there was nothing more to do. Anyway, for me it was well worth the €10.

2. aux80

aux80 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I've noticed the frame rate drops too. They are very frustrating. I play on an iPhone 6s. The frame rate drops are not due to latency or hardware limitations. It is intentional. It's part of the game design. I guess it's supposed to emphasize that something cool just happened? It's extremely frustrating, and poorly conceived.

And then you lose toads because of it? Yeah, that's stupid.

This is honestly the worst Nintendo game I've ever played.

And if you think I haven't played many Nintendo games, here's a short list of the consoles I've owned.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS

It's very easy to see that Nintendo slapped something together after the popularity of Pokemon Go. They do not like the mobile market, and are not willing to put any actual effort into a mobile game. It shows. They can keep my $10, but it's the last time Nintendo will ever receive any money from me. I don't support crappy developers. Sad to see Nintendo fall into that category.

3. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    All the complaints just make me laugh. Never experienced any frame rate drops on iPhone 7!

Hoping there are more buildings coming soon.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #564 Cilo, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I haven't reached 9999 toads, only played rally enough to unlock all the characters and I'm glad I did! Luigi was a major pain in the butt to get since purple toads are ridiculously hard to collect unless you're pro at either ghost levels, airship, or you did the world 2 hack where you stop playing Tour mode so that Rally doesn't randomize the levels and you just memorize the few maps offered.

Funny thing is I was so bad at Rally that I actually completed Tour mode and collected all three coin colors on every level before I got the strength to go back and unlock Luigi and Toadette.

Anyway, love the game! Best $10 I've spent on the App Store all year - battery says 14.7 hours time spent playing so I think I got my money's worth. I don't know what else to say, been a long time Nintendo fan since 1986 when I got my first NES and used to keep the console on and paused with the tv off while I was at school so I wouldn't lose my game save. You can't really convince people what they are missing by passing on this game, I personally think Nintendo hit it out of the park with this and to think that they programmed 6 different characters is insane! Currently on my second major play through (collecting all three color set of coins) using Luigi - and then I'll cycle back through with the other characters.

I remember back in the day a Mario game was all about the nuances, the small details that made it so addicting and that was just everything based on high scores and speed runs before they made Mario games even more addicting with collecting special gold coins in each level. Yah you could rush through and complete worlds quickly and be done with it but that isn't how these games are programmed, they are made for those looking to improve their gameplay skill in high score and flair. Fire up an NES Super Mario 1 or emulator and see if you can three jump it up an end level staircase hit that last platform and land on top of the flagpole at full speed. Now try that same tactic in later worlds with Koopas flying down at you! It was never about the game having 100s of levels but rather about being programmed in a way where the game makes you a better gamer.

Yes you can't be killed by running at a goomba, Nintendo designed it that way but this new mobile method isn't about stomping goombas the old way, that's already been done. Try vaulting three goombas in a row, catching air with a long press, hitting that wall jump to grab onto a ridiculously high platform to grab the last black coin you've been hunting! It's pretty awesome and I haven't had this much control on any platform game in the App Store.

The level 3-3 Shell Me the Way! was the most challenging to collect black coins on, it requires tons of precision with turtle shells. Sorry about the rant, just a little sad that TA reviewed this game before really giving it a good play through but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Feel free to add me on your friends list, I posted my info in the add me thread!

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I have an iPhone 6 and I've never ever had any frame rate drops. I don't even get how a phone more advanced would have them.

Anyone notice anything different with today's update?

Billy

6. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    #566 Mrbestapps, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    There's a new update on the AppStore "implemented feature improvements"

I thought they said they won't be updating the game anymore?#

7. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I think the sentiment of that statement has been largely misinterpreted. I don't believe for a second that Nintendo ever meant to imply they were taking the "release and forget" approach and just abandoning the game.

8. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    Just wanted to report this incase anyone else is interested; in toad rally a tied score goes to the player (you)!#
    I just got an tied score of 631 with another player and toadette gave me the win ##

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Would that be because of toadette's toad stealing ability?

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Feature improvements update is probably synonymous to the 3ds getting stability updates. Aka not much.

11. Quaze

Quaze Member

Dec 15, 2016
    So after decades of enjoyment and unforgettable experiences, you'll never give them another dime because they put out one thing you're not over the moon about. And your reason listed is that there is a momentary slow-motion effect after something happens that you don't particularly like. Do you have any idea what a fickle customer you sound like.

This is like listening to a band for 30 years and loving every album they put out, then one day they put out a song that features a 20-second saxophone solo and you abandon them as a fan forever over it.

12. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    I played as Luigi; I meant to say as the scorekeeper, toadette gave me the win

13. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Don't forget, the frame rate drops are intentional!

14. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super Mario Run

has been nominated for the TouchArcade Forums'
    Game of the Year 2016

VOTE NOW

15. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    People are still whining? Good, then don't give Nintendo anymore of your money. Really biting my tongue here.

16. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Reasonable complaints are not mere whining.
    (The attitude they were given with may have been excessive, but still...)

17. toochunky

toochunky Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Sounds like a dealbreaker, tbh. ;)

I think SMR is a pretty great game stuck behind a surprisingly awful app. The oddest part is how it seems to intentionally go out of it's way to have no social functionality (the opposite strategy of anybody else making anything on mobile).

I really enjoy the gameplay though, and I think one thing that is quite well done is designing alternate ways to beat the most challenging levels, so that you can play it as a rhythm/reflex game, or more as a puzzle game.

For example, the 2nd black coin on 4-1 is probably the hardest coin, but you can also just play as Yoshi and fly directly to it. And the black coin special course has multiple paths for beating many of the saws, which is fun.

18. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ok, comment that isn't related to the pricing. Is there a criteria you need to reach before having access to the last 2 toad colors in rally? I think it was purple and yellow. Do you need a certain number of the others before you can race against people with the last 2 colors?

19. toochunky

toochunky Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    The toads you get is based on the Toad Rally course you race on. I think you unlock the courses that have yellow and blue toads by completing World 2 in Tour Mode.

20. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    What are everyone's favorite characters?

I found that switching from Mario to Yoshi was a huge help in Toad Rally, which allowed me to unlock Luigi, who is a huge help basically everywhere. I've also heard some people prefer Toadette (and she's the hardest to unlock), but after playing with her a few times I can't really figure out what is different/better with her.