Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    I find the whole concept behind toad rally to be a huge misstep for Nintendo

I hate multiplayer except for cooperative and making a multiplayer gamemode half the game does not fit with the Mario games i remember

There should be an other way to build your kingdom. One that doesn't rely on luck for tickets and risk of losing toads

If this is any indication of a change in direction for Nintendo i will be wary going forward regarding their products

2. Axle_65

Axle_65 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    I hate online only mobile games. I don't understand why they exist. Who can afford to waste the data? I've tried quite a few only only games and I end up deleting them all because I never have a chance to play them. When I'm at home on WiFi I just play my console. Why wouldn't I? Plus what about people who want to play on the subway? Such a stupid idea.

Then the $15 price tag. Are you kidding me?! $15 for an auto-runner?! Not at all worth that. I feel like I barely play the game. Plus auto jumping the enemies is stupid. Why have enemies if they don't pose a threat? I've paid less for full blown 3D RPG titles. $6 maybe but $15 is outrageous. What a cocky thing for Nintendo to do. Maybe if you guys made a real Mario game I'd consider it but I won't pay for this crap.

3. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    The cost and complaining won't change anything as Nintendo is not a player here nor does this community have the size.

My gripe is the grind on purples. The cost or connection are trivial, it's the toad grind

4. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Woohoo, I just finished Toad Rally by maxing out at 9999. For the last 3000 or so I had to play races with red and green toads to get the 3500/2500 requirements for the Mario/Luigi statues. I ended up meeting those requirements, then won 1 more race and maxed out, so just in time before I had to purposely lose toads.

If you really screw up at the beginning of a race, or know you're going to lose, you can just hang back in a bubble not collecting coins or impressing toads, and the amount of toads you'll lose will be much lower or 0 if you do this very early. Also, if you're trying to gain certain toad colours, and they aren't an option to pick from, just choose a race and do nothing, take an L with 0 toads lost and change opponent to get the race you want.

I guess I was fortunate to never dip below 25 tickets, and am currently sitting at 75. Too bad you can't gift them to friends. It took me 404 races played, 281 won, to max out. I only got 50 tickets from the big block once, and I still have worlds 5 and 6 to collect special coins on.

Looking forward to focusing on finishing Tour mode now and buying a bunch of stuff to deck out my kingdom :)

5. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    #525 Oats, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    I was just wondering today if it's possible to get a tie in Toad Rally(?)
    ive been close by 2 points; and I wondered what happens in a tie. Would you win/loose no toads?

I'm pretty happy with this game and have unlocked all the characters and collected my 6 lands and all pink and purple coins. Currently using Luigi (high jumper) to get all black coins.

This game is awesome and I hope Nintendo keeps bringing the updates ##
    I can see them easily adding other Nintendo characters to the run including our custom Miitomo mii's #

What characters are on your wishlist for add-ons?

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I received an email asking for me to take a survey about SMR. I posted this in the "what did you not like" part of the survey.

I do not like the city builder part. I find it pointless and boring. Also being able to run out of tickets is not great. The amount you have to kill to level up the enemy to get more coins is too high. I want to replay the levels a lot but I think after playing a level 15-20 times, you should have fully upgraded all of the enemies or be extremely close. Having those coin upgrades for enemies can really impact a high score so even attempting a great run for a high score is pointless until you have upgraded all of the enemies. So in order to do that I first have to play the level 30 times. That is way too much.

7. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    No worries, the extra coins are only in effect for defeating enemies in Toad Rally. Enemy leveling will not interfere with highscores in Tour Mode.

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks!
    Oh really! Lol, well at least that's good news. I did another fantastic job looking like an idiot. #

9. ccarvajal84

ccarvajal84 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Just discovered that Yoshi doesn't get hurt jumping on spike enemies and traps, this opens a new whole strategy in some levels to try to get the maximum coins possible. Still being surprised by the hidden depth that the game has!! I don't even play with different characters for the moment because I mastered Mario.

I can't stop playing Rally mode, really recommend you to add some friends so the ranking list gets competitive. There is a post in reddit where people is adding their friend codes if you don't find enough friends playing the game.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Why not just quit from the pause menu?

11. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    The way he describes has you losing a low or minimal amount of toads. Quitting from the pause menu penalises you and you lose toads from the kingdom. I don't know how many are taken off you but the game has been crashing on toad rally a lot for me yesterday and everytime I've loaded the game back up I've been told that because I quit, my toad count has been decreased. I felt like I'd have peach cake yesterday but am no where near again, I don't know if it's me misremembering my initial count or if it's having loads of toads taken off me due to the multiple crashing!

I keep meaning to take note of how many I have before each rallied so I can see how many are taken off you.

Am the only one whose had issues with toad rally yesterday? I finally got 50 tickets from the big brick and still have most of them left as when the game didn't crash mid run, it would lag and jitter so so bad that it was unplayable :(. Tour mode totally fine, just rally for some reason since the friend mode thing was implemented.

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I found that I wasn't being penalised at all when I quit, but that was in v1.0 and I think that may have been a bug that was fixed by the update.

The message that appears says you will lose toads that have come to support you, so I *think* you should only lose the toads that have already appeared: the same amount you would lose if you just stop playing.

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I didn't notice losing any toads when quitting from the pause menu. Then again, I suck at Toad Rally. If I lost Toads during today's quits, I would have lost way more I'd think. And I had to quit a lot. I'm just tired of losing in that mode. Sure wish they would implement NOT losing Toads, and instead only gaining Toads. Because, in its current form, I probably will never collect all the items. Yay. :(

14. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You may be correct and none are removed, I just thought with "are you sure you want to quit, the toads supporting you in your kingdom will be disappointed and leave" along with the message I got when re launching the game said "since you quit, the number of toads in your kingdom have decreased"

I'll do a practice today and quit on purpose and see what happens :).

15. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    IT looks like you lose five toads when quitting a run. I stared with with 5257 and had 5252 after quitting, and quit again near the end of a run to see if you lost more he further in you are and it was five toads lost again and I now have 5247.

I don't know if it's just reds that go though. My game crashed a ton yesterday and it registered as me quitting so it's prob why I felt they went down a lot.

16. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Nobody said anything about the Game Icon for Super Mario Run, now Mario is an Icon on itself but Nintendo made a real good looking Icon here it really stans out from the crowd, that is of course by the color red, red always atract but the Icon looks really fresh and well Mario like he he.

17. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #537 ROGER-NL, Dec 22, 2016
    I deleted the game for now, gonna play again when or if they add new content, just checked if Icloud would work and it works via your Nintendo acount so it's safe there, see you all next year.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I love the title screen, seriously a beauty with lots of detail. But I need to ask again: Toad Rallye is always against AI, right?

19. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's obvious that you haven't bought the full game, as you'd know that there's only auto jumping enemies on the free levels, as a way to let people learn the game.

This game is worth every penny, and I play it on the subway every day, no problem.
    Also, you used far more data complaining here than you would playing the game.

20. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #540 Intendro, Dec 22, 2016
    That doesn't mean everyone's connection is available when they try to play... When are people going to understand this?

Have you seen the other people saying they could not play on their train rides and wherever?

You don't experience the problem, but that doesn't mean other people can't!
    Yet people pointlessly defend it like that.
    It makes no sense. And it keeps happening...

I find that highly unlikely. Did they even post here more than that one?
    Still seems unlikely.
    How much data usage to clear the game? I doubt it's less than one justified complaint post.

Well, they should've been able to know before paying.
    They had a point there.

Nintendo made it look like the enemies are just springs?
    Do any enemies actually act as enemies pre-purchase?
    Why would they have to pay to find out about the enemies?