Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

The amount of toads someone has isn't necessarily and indicater of their skill, it's often because they've put hours and hours in. I only recently started playing people with multiple more thousands than me as I thought I'd stand no chance but that hasn't been the case.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If that happened I'd delberatley lose some races until the toad count down enough to earn more reds, I'd be raging if I got that many toads and didn't have everything unlocked :)

3. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    That's the thing, there is no indicator of how many toads you need to win a particular Rally. The only clue you get is total toad amount which at the least suggests they likely have higher level enemies than you until you manage to max out your own. This is incredibly poorly thought out as you already use tickets to play Rally and risk losing your own toads. Why would it make you choose your challengers essentially blindly? It ends up being more frustrating than a non-freemium multiplayer system should be. If it's supposed to be a system based on skill let players know what they need to challenge in a particular match so they can have at least some semblance of matchmaking. As it is, I can't see more casual players sticking with the game for too long, and even less casual players could get fed up fairly quickly if they get a string of bad luck soley based on getting the wrong opponent too many times.

4. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Any tips for lvl 1-4, the second black coin?

It's so high up. Lol.

5. elektrisko

elektrisko Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2016
    I also dont get this, when will developers understand that punishing their buying customers to fight piracy ALWAYS backfires.

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Does it, though? Do you have information that these huge game studios don't?

7. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    I thought I read somewhere you are actually playing against the "style" of the person? Whatever that means...

8. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    Irony /ˈīrənē/ noun
    Spending large amounts of time using an internet connection to complain about a game requiring an internet connection.

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    It's not about punishing buying customers. Not one bit. Do you think that a developer really wants the hassle of having to rent/buy server systems and capacity with infrastructure services to maintain a game? No. They don't. I've been dealing with mobile developers from all over the world starting back in 2004 when I got into Palm OS and became a registered developer with a device called the TapWave Zodiac. I still have my developer model and 2 others as I play games on them. I've seen what piracy does to small indie devs. I've told stories about this on this forum in the past.

Fact is the developers take a lot of sweat and time and money making games to have them cracked and uploaded 4 HOURS after release. One way they've been able to keep the piracy down is by using persistent online connection requirements and validation and making their own special accounts systems storing data on their end. In the end it saves them losses but is a huge task that I'm sure most don't want. If there was a better way to do offline it would be done.

My friend was working on a game for 4 years in his spare time on Windows Mobile. His daughter was sick and he was laid off. He released the game so he could pay for her treatments and witching 24 hours his game was on warez sites fully cracked. He was crying on the phone not knowing what to do as he had drm in place.

I don't mind the online requirement. However I don't really blame the devs. I blame the people that circumvent the games and crack them offline. They are to blame.

Billy

10. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Not feeling this at all. Don't like coin collecting. Take that away and the free levels didn't appeal to me at all.

Right now I have no urge to unlock the game even if it was 2.99.

And I have no idea if the content is worth 0.99, 4.99 or 9.99 if I only beat the levels once - which might be fun if they are more interesting than the free ones.

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    THANK YOU for saying this. I had similar thoughts but I've just flat run out of energy to get into discussions about this game anymore.

# # #

12. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    #492 Wizard_Mike, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    You played the demo and didn't like it. It's cool, not everyone is going to enjoy the game.

But stop trying to judge the pricing of a game you don't like. If you go to a theater, do you try to judge how much each movie ticket should be worth based on how much you think you would enjoy the movie? Do you go to resteraunts criticize the cost of the meals you wouldn't eat? Nope.

When people try a demo and don't like it, why can't they just accept that it doesn't appeal to their tastes and move on? Why must they also nitpick about the price or try to make up some price-to-fun ratio. Of course the game is not going to seem to be worth the price if you don't actually enjoy the kind of game that it is. But your price-to-fun analysis is virtually meaningless. All you're essentially saying is that you don't like the game. Just say that.

EDIT: Just to add, I'm quoting and responding to you, but I'm not trying to single you out. My comments are meant to make a general point about all of those who criticize the price but don't even like the game.

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #493 ROGER-NL, Dec 20, 2016
    Well said, when I don't like a game I don't go to the thread of that game and say it's rubbish, because that is not nice in the first place and second place Devs work hard on a game and are proud of it and than it is not for me to say you made absolutely bullocks.

14. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'd say it's fine to come to a thread and give opinions on why -- specifically -- you don't like a game. Not that it's F2P or complain about the price or just say it flat out sucks.

But to come and actually say things like the controls aren't good and why you feel that way, etc. is actually beneficial to the devs that participate in this forum. To just not comment at all when you have some constructive criticism is doing a disservice to devs IMO.

As for this game and people not liking the demo and not sure about the rest of the content, I do think Nintendo made a bit of a mistake here. I don't feel like the levels in the demo do the game justice. They're more or less the tutorials and most basic levels of the game.

The levels get much better as you progress in the game. Heck, even in the second world.

Nintendo might have been better off giving at least another level or two from different worlds to show people that the game design is really good.

I went ahead and bought the game to see what the game is like further on and giving a little benefit of the doubt to Nintendo. But, honestly, if it has been any other game I don't think I would have bought it based on the demo levels.

Has nothing to do with the price. It has to do with the levels at the beginning of the game being very basic.

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    This may already have been answered above but I can't seem to link to my nintendo account on more than one device. Just discovered that I actually really enjoy it on the iPad but it when I try to link my account it says it's already being used in another. I thought it'd work in a cloud-like fashion like the BScotchIF or Clash Royale kinda thing. Is there any way to get your progress (or lack thereof) on two devices?

16. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #496 Intendro, Dec 20, 2016
    You know I also can't complain about the Internet requirement at any time, because of Internet requirement, so...
    You aren't proving anything with your argument.

Irony: Wasting your time defending something that negatively affects other people, yet you yourself would not even care if it was gone or not.
    Seriously, why do people even bother defending such things?
    What is the point of that?

Except the point there was, that is what DRM ends up doing. It punishes buying customers. Pirates remove it. And the customers are the ones still punished.

17. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Works fine for me. Syncs between two of my devices both linked to my Nintendo account. (IPhone 6 and iPad 4)

18. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm deeply sorry for all the punishment and suffering Nintendo has put you through by releasing this iPhone game.

19. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    damn!! mine just won't let me on my iPad. No big shakes as I'm sure i'll be doing something wrong.

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This made me really laugh, do I may laugh on this thread or is this not done also.