Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
  2. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #462 Intendro, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    If only it didn't require Internet for single player mode...
    (Maybe you missed that part of the conversation?)

Maybe they'll realize that makes no sense, which means people are angry.
    It deserves no stars for stopping the product from functioning.
    This anti-customer nonsense must stop.
    It makes people angry. You don't make your customers angry. :mad:

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I won't buy blindly the next game from Nintendo on mobile again. That's for sure.

4. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Shaun is very close to Cassandra Khaw as my favourite reviewers. I can only remember disagreeing with the score of Cassandra on one ocassion. With Shaun a few more,but both of them are excellent reviewers who do in depth and excellent reviews to which i can totally relate. Shaun's approach to this is as a long time fan coming to an long time ignored platform with high expectations. A totally fair review i think. But for me personally it's the best autorunner on the store. Very approachable,tight,and loads of fun,even though i suck at it. Levels are short &sweet,but even getting all the pink coins is challenging to me. This all in that sweet Nintendo style and quality is a perfect first dip in their big brand.
    Shaun says this in his review:If this weren't Mario, if this weren't Nintendo, if this didn't have all the hype, expectations, and nostalgia behind it, what would I think of this game? If I do that, all I can say is that the game is fine. It's well-polished, the controls are responsive enough, and the level designs are acceptable.
    I disagree to that. I went in pretty blank to this game,and i think it's outstanding,especially regarding controls on a touchscreen. Rally Go and Super Mario Run are games of the year to me,and again Shaun did an excellent review,truth is in the eye of the beholder.

5. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Giving this game another try and it definitely is a fun game if you collect the coins.

Never be too early to rate it.

Previous rating 2/5. Now 4/5.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't think anybody wanted it to be FTP, rather it not be $10. It's a runner. It's Mario runner but it's still just a runner. $10 is too rich for my blood for that type of game. If they put it on sale for $5 or less I'll probably pick it up though, but Nintendo is stingy with sales so that may never happen.

7. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    It's MARIO cheer up, it's the people who don't buy games and pirated fault what we expect Nintendo will let piracy rake away all that money

8. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Everyone seams angry about this game that I never thought I see in billion years come (maybe because I enjoy it I defend it)

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well every person has a different taste that's it, I love the game too in all it's glory.

10. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #470 Intendro, Dec 20, 2016
    It being a messed up Mario is actually why I am the opposite of cheerful. Irony?
    It's Mario, but I can't play it offline, even though it's single player. Mario is not enough to make it work. It has to work.

It's Nintendo's fault. They chose to irritate their customers.
    And this is taking away all the money people like me would have spent. Irony.

I hear pirates hack games and remove this stuff. It's useless! This is only hurting legitimate buyers in the end. Why must we suffer? Why do they punish us for not pirating? Irony!

11. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #471 Reaganomics, Dec 20, 2016
  12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm a little hesitant to share it, but I wrote a little more about why the coin collecting didn't appeal to me on my personal site.

http://postgamecontent.com/post/154657756148/heres-why-i-dont-care-for-the-coin-collecting

Maybe that will help clarify my position a little better, maybe not. Either way, I'm pretty glad that almost all TA regulars kept things respectful in spite of whether they agreed with the review or not. Wish I could have said the same for non-regulars, but that's how it goes sometimes.

13. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    Agree with this 100%. I've actually lost the motivation to try and get all of the coins simply because there's too much trial and error. IMO, the worst kinds of coins are the Type 2s, it just takes away all of the fun of collecting when you're penalized for just guessing wrong.

I think Nintendo could fix this by doing any of the following:

-Only make players collect a coin once, then it stays collected forever. (My least favorite option)
    -Add more bubbles in question mark blocks
    -Keep the coins on separate paths, but give players more time to switch paths

Or, my favorite option:

-Let players buy more bubbles with coins, for one stage only, and only after you've beaten it.

I mean, this coin problem isn't -that- big of a deal. It's not a gamebreaking issue or anything, it's just not as fun as it could be.

14. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    This really annoys me, "It's only a runner so it's not worth it for $10", attitude.

The game is so much deeper than that. SMR has so much replay value than any of the auto runners I have played. The actual mechanics are pretty varied where Mario can double back through the levels with the help of the bubble. You can replenish this bubble life saver in head butting blocks in a level as you play - the trade of of using bubbles is time so you get an interesting time management style of play. Also there are various switch blocks that if Mario stands on them can send him temporary in the opposite direction or speed him up through the air in different directions. And the player can actually choose routes in the level as well which is easy to master but hard to perfect because with well timed wall jumps and wall slides you can get to go any where. Also, we have coin switch blocks that if hit will spawn rows of coins in certain directions which makes it fun timing the jumps to get the best collection of coins. On top of that you have to contend with the enemies, which can kill you, but you can kill them by doing what Mario likes to do and bounce on their heads. But the real clever addictive design here is the special coins that need collecting per section of a level... once all collected they change colour and reset in a different place on the level and are harder to get than the previous ones. Also, once collected you get rewarded with Rally tickets. AND on top of all that you get all the things that a Mario game does - heading bouncing on blocks to get coins, power ups, switch blocks to change level layout, boss fights and such.

Now just to say it's just an ordinary auto runner. A standard auto runner has random level creation, the play gets faster over time, and the purpose is to get as far as possible before you die. Plus you get those horrible ads and IAPs so you can get a bit further through the level in my book is not a good experience.

And in SMR there are other gameplay modes.

I've heard people say that the Kingdom builder is a waste of time. It's purpose is there because if you build the Kingdom you get rewarded with extra content like levels and new playable characters... I really enjoyed unlocking the characters like getting Yoshi's house so I could do nice flutter moves in the levels. You can also expand the Kingdom with special rainbows from the shop. Also, the Kingdom is a way to show a players progress through the game by levelling up.. the castle gets nicer over time. And most important the Kingdom gives you a chance to play mini games, just like other Mario games, where you can get extra coins and Rally tickets. Once you complete a mini game you have to wait a certain time before you can do the challenge again. But the more challenge houses you have in the Kingdom the more mini games you get to play. The currency of the Kingdom is different coloured toads which get spent in the shop... an item may cost 20 red toads and 20 blue toads. Some items get unlocked as you level up through the game as well.

I don't see any other auto running games do this in a fun way. Shops are usually there to gouge money from users with IAPs. With SMR it's actually fun using it, unlocking things and with no fear of losing real money... For parents that is a big plus when they see credit card statements where their kids have gone nuts with their credit cards.

The shop brings us to Toad Rally, the other game mode and the way to earn currency. Toad Rally is basically a light weight multi player game where you play recorded level runs of other players. It's sole purpose is to gain Toads (currency for the Kingdom). To enter Toad Rally you use a Rally Ticket which are pretty easy to get once you purchase the full game... For people that don't purchase the game they have to grind to get them. BUT that is the trade off to encourage you to purchase and Nintendo did it in a nice way by using fun in the grind mechanics - Nintendo have been pretty fair with their free content to users. Once a Rally game starts you need to get as many coins as possible, kill as many baddies as possible, try not to die so you don't lose coins and toad admiration, and pull off as many special moves as you can. Once you complete the timed level the winner is usually the one with the most coins and accumulated toad admiration and the reward is toads that can be used for the Kingdom. Before a race when choosing someone to play you can see what coloured toads are on offer for the race... this way you can build your different coloured toad currency up. This part of the game is pretty addictive and very rewarding because it's gaining currency the fairest way through actual game play. In a FTP game players would be able to get unfair advantages through IAPs. Just goes to show how F2P has ruined game design because Toad Rally is really fun to play.

And you name an ordinary auto runner that does this type of game play for earning currency? Not one... they all want to rip money off you with IAPs and other games with multi player, using IAPs to give unfair advantages. SMR does it the fairest possible way... game skill gets rewarded.

When I actually bought the game I was surprised how varied the paid levels were to the free content... People who think the levels would be exactly like the free levels are completely wrong. Each new level brings in a different play mechanic or layout style. With the purchase more levels can be used in Toad Rally to gain currency for the Kingdom. This game has so much more depth than F2P games because it's been designed without that model in mind... it's been designed for fun, accomplishment and re-playability. ALL the things Nintendo are good at... so just to say I'm not paying $10 for an auto runner is doing SMR an injustice!

The Touch Arcade review in my book is way off. Even with my bad writing skills I'm trying to convey the differences between Paid and F2P and what it actually does to the game design aspects of the game. SMR is a good, fun addicting game that does not gouge money off you with IAPs all over the place. It's actually what a game should be! Fun and not an IAPs fest to keep share holders happy. Shame on Touch Arcade for not doing a compare on this in the review ;)

15. Nightxx

Nightxx Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Rally mode is not recorded runs... Its actally an AI playing for you... Tour and Rally tracks are totally different... I played agianst my niece in some matches she's pretty bad at the game and was able to beat me several times... So I'm pretty positive its IA playing and not your own runs...

16. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I'm enjoying the game well enough, but I can understand the negative reviews. Replayability of this title relies on Toad Rally and Toad Rally is a pretty poorly designed game mode. You can't tell how many toads you need before you start the Rally, nor can you cycle through opponents without reloading the app. Why? This isn't a freemium game, why have such a lacklustre multiplayer experience? Matchmaking is atrocious. I'm regularly matched versus players with 3000+ more toads than me. This game needs some major patching ASAP or it's going to lose the player base it has thanks solely to the initial hype pretty fast. That would be a shame as there is a lot of polish and potential with this title.

17. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I think you are wrong there... Just read the iTunes description of the game and it states multi player for Toad Rally. You can play against friends or challenge other people. Maybe you are not linked to a Nintendo account?

18. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    #478 NinthNinja, Dec 20, 2016
    I think the trouble here is people expect something more from Nintendo. But compared to the rest of the so called great games on the App store the game is still miles ahead in fun addictive gameplay with re-playability.

Lets compare something like Crossy Road which is classed as a fun casual game. Crossy Roads is basically an endless frogger game with a 1 touch mechanic. The whole purpose is to get as far as possible and collect the odd coins. What else can you do? Unlock characters which may change the graphics in the level. These characters don't actually add to the game. The whole game mechanic is built around character unlocking that the only way to do it without spending real money is watching ad videos. There's not much content or depth to the gameplay.

I think people are clouding their judgment because it's a Nintendo game and are been really picky. If you look at Crossy Roads and Super Mario Run side by side you can see the polish and design that has gone into Super Mario Run compared to Crossy Roads.

Some people will argue that Crossy Roads is better but that's because it's free. If you watch to videos you can get all the content for free. And that is the problem Nintendo face... people want things for free.

It's that old saying, " You get what you pay for".

Most people that are complaining are in the minority anyway:

On the US App store it has around 26,000 1 star reviews and around 14,000 5 star reviews. That is such a small number of reviews compared to the download stats that are into the millions. The game is the No 1 grossing App in the App Store. The difference here is most people satisfied with the game are not leaving reviews. The small minority of complainers are the ones bothered to write reviews. Which proves how worth less the App Store reviews are.

A few years ago people used to complain about been nagged all a time to leave reviews... most games do but it's nice to see Nintendo don't bug you with this. It's funny that people say they hate F2P, want premium, hate watching ad videos, been nagged all time to review the game, hate grinding to the point they give in and buy IAPs and end up paying more than $10 in the long run. Super Mario Run is what people wanted for years and when they get it the small minority just gripe and complain.

And the biggest complaint is about online play. I don't really blame Nintendo for this because it's a sad fact that most people with Jailbroken devices pirate games. I know lot's of people that have jailbroken do pirate games on their devices. I'm not saying all people do but most do. Don't blame Nintendo for this... all they are protecting is there paid content.

An example of why offline modes open up to piracy is because the game becomes open. I know what I'm talking about here because I'm a programmer that works on True Skate. You can get all the parks and content for free for that game and the real reason is offline mode.

For this I take my hat off to Nintendo for having the balls to actually implement that.

Anyway, I think Super Mario Run is flawed but I also say it's miles better than most Apps out there. It actually does do a lot of things right!

19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I guess so too. Here's my best run. I got around 550-600 coins in the level, plus the added ones took me to 871. I've played against people with 9999 toads (which I guess is the maximum) and I've won them. I can't believe that I performed better against people who already have maxed out toads, so my guess is that you're playing against an AI.

Btw, talking about maxed out toads, what are the chances of reaching 9999 without getting 2000 red toads? It's difficult, but possible, and you wouldn't unlock everything...

Also, anyone found any easter eggs? I've tried configuring my kingdom as the one in the photo you see when you press on the castle, but nothing happened. I can't believe there aren't hidden easter eggs in a Mario game, but who knows.

Attached Files:

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I just love the game for what it is. I ENJOY playing it. I think the only thing I don't like is the rally tickets thing. That should be removed. Just let people play the rally. But I love the coin collecting. That's always been what Mario has done!

They've already done an in game release of new stuff for the Kingdom and an actual AppStore update to fix some bugs. Nintendo is going to be in this for the long haul. I'm very happy with my purchase. I think it was cheap.

Billy