Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    so this game got new content already. :D kinda. new decorations such as a giant Christmas tree, mario globe, etc you can purchase for your kingdom. Now I'm sure there will be more events and stuff for this game down the road. Nintendo knows what they are doing.

2. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I think Nintendo totally nailed it with Super Mario Run. I suck at platformers and therefore am not too fond of them,but i can't stop playing.
    I've never owned any Nintendo hardware so i've never really played any Mario game. I now find myself looking at prices for the DS and looking at a Switch. My oldest daughter is turning 6 in march,i'm wandering what she'll get for her birthday....###!
    Well played Nintendo.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Ha! This is great. Yep, it looks like the online requirement is here to stay (but then again it seems like I'm one of the very few people who are completely indifferent to the whole situation.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Me too! I think online requirements are also to avoid piracy, so yeah, they're here to stay.

5. s'nice games

s'nice games New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    Killed it

I really like it. It took some time for me to get into it but now I'm loving it.

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Seems like this is going to be a one time thing:

"A Nintendo spokesman said the company didn’t plan to release additional content, either free or paid."
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-shares-fall-after-super-mario-run-disappoints-1482142448

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I got toadette and luigi last night, now have all chars unlocked also a third rainbow bridge and the mega block..

The mega block gave me 50 rally tickets, I already 60 so am now at 99. I'm gonna play some rallies this morning and play with toadette and luigi. Was planning to finish getting the purple coins, have linked all worlds and purpled first three worlds but I don't want to waste the tour tickets I'd get as reward. Although the further I get into the game I really can't see how those who have run out and have black coined everything still run out, they'd have all the blocks and game houses and they seem to give plenty at least once a day?

For collecting toads, I've nailed the boo levels. They are my least favourite and I don't enjoy them at all but they seem to be the main ones that give purples so I've gotten good at them and find them quite fun and suprisingly, I actually win them. I find the sky levels much more fun but it seems most people playing those haven't unlocked full game and most of the time it's only reds I can win. Plan is to get good at the desert levels now and aim for yellows. They are the ones I have the least of by a large amount. .

Came across my kid on rally for the first time yesterday, played her and the little shit whooped my arse, I rematched many many times but couldn't beat her and gave up in the end! I said once she had some free time shed overtake me. I thought I'd nail it as she only has 400 toads to my 1,100 but nope.

She's having lots of trouble getting coloured toads, she's completed whole tour so all courses are unlocked but for some reason when she tries to play anything other than the sky levels it gets connection error? And as she's on,y got me as a mate she's getting random opponents who only seem to have red toads. Frustrating for her as she sees me with the cool game houses etc and moans on.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've nailed the Bowser ship levels for collecting toads. These levels offer all 5 kinds of toads, and by linking jumps on cannon bullets, black enemies and moles, you can get many coins in these. I win in these levels 85% of the times. I once got 820 coins on a single run (after adding the coins you get when you finish). The best character for these levels is Luigi IMO. Since he jumps higher, you can link many jumps and get loads of coins.

9. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Currently in the dr office. Weak cell coverage. Got 1 bar. Tried to play game. Denied. I never had an issue with needing an internet connection before now. Paid 10 bucks for a game I can't play. WTF. SMH.

10. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Thank you for the tip.

It's taking some getting used to playing as luigi after playing as peach for so long and I forget I dint have the floating ability. Bowser levels don't seem to appear that much for me, it's usually sky, ghost and desert, every now and then one of the sky ones will have all coloured available so whenever ones with all colours appear I will make sure to play them.

I'm also trying to change my strategy and aim for coins, atm I've been going the way with most enemies and little jumps that I can do tricks over but most people seem to be going for coins? Is there more weight given to coins in the final score, I thought coins, enemies and jumps were all factored? Could explain why I lose so much though :)

Does anyone know if there's a way or any plans to select which opponent you race against? I'd love to pick individual people rather than wait for them to appear on opponent list.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
  12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah, me too, I only play these levels in toad race and getting better and better at it, and they have all the toads in them, every color I mean.

13. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Disgusting, right?! I hope they do a spoof article on what it may look like as an offline game. You know, basically the same but the guy above who couldn't play because of service wouldn't see the denied message. Haha.

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Also, I may have found a bug or just bad choice in coding. You have to collect your reward for adding one friend before you can get the add 5 or 10 rewards. I saw that I had tons of requests and friends that I've added, and went to claim all of the rewards after accepting... only to find that I had gotten the add a friend reward but not the 5 or 10. Guess I'll need to get more friends!

15. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    This is definitely no one star game, it makes me sad, Nintendo has finally been brave to bring MARIO over and now I bet they won't bring future games if it keeps getting one stars and no one pays, makes me sick and angry

16. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I read that earlier and wanted to post so thank you. This game could have easily gone in this direction at which point I never would have given it a shot. Every time I die I smile knowing that I can play again with no worries.

17. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    #457 sink_or_swim, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Can someone explain what's the most important thing to do to win in Rallye Mode? It seems like I still don't get it. I ran further than my opponent, I collected 3 pink coins (he collect not a single pink coin) and we both died once in the run but I lost.

18. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I think it's a mixture of coins, enemies killed, tricks and possibly deaths. If you got further than your opponent but you both died the same number he's probably been doing tricks over the jumps and stomping enemies, making him slower but getting more points.

I'm not sure about distance being an actual factor as I've has mixed experiences, sometimes I'm miles back but win, other times I'm ahead but lose, and I wonder if it's more about deaths?

I tend to do tap when auto vaulting and the thumbs up bring toads, I don't aim for pink coins so if I get them it's just luck. I aim to do jumps and stomping enemies mostly and I'm doing ok, whereas today I've been focussiing in collecting gold coins as much as I can and I'm not winning near as much. I'm finding it to be a mixture of all elements.

19. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Call me a girl but I like the Kingdom builder he he.

I think I like the overall feel to the game there is so much to do, if it were only tour mode it was not so fun as it is now but that is my opinion.

20. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #460 Andy C83, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016