Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Cool, I wasn't sure as I hadn't tried it and when others were saying they couldn't link the same Nintendo ID on a second device I thought maybe they had to be different or something.

My Daughters using the ID that's linked to her Wii and 3ds and I just made a throw away one as we both would have been annoyed if we closed the game on world one and then came back to find all worlds had been done by the other one and the game had synced. We are both fussy about playing new content ourselves first :)

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It's a me playing let's a go ha ha, just got all coins in world one, I am not saying this is the best game ever but on the fun side it's a making me happy.

3. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    #363 jpgold, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Just unlocked Yoshi....the different character abilities really adds to the depth and changes up the game play. Also a fun "grind" trying to get the Toad colors you need.

As I unlocked him was thinking about how happy I am that this is a premium game and can easily see how they could have ruined with f2p. Paying for characters, timers, energy system....this game has none of that.

There should be zero complaints about the price. This is well worth it and the alternative would stink. Quality things cost money and this is quality.

4. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    I'm really enjoying everything Super Mario Run has to offer so far. The replay value of the game satisfies me. I've been mostly spending hours upon hours collecting purple challenge coins for the sake of completion. I'm not looking forward to journeying my way through black challenge coins since it might just require no less than 50 repeats from me. But it's such a mysteriously wonderful feeling to not be able to buy myself out of the challenge.

I'm hoping that in a future update they will allow us to peek into other kingdoms belonging to our friends. Also hoping the game will be updated with seasonal items.

Overall, to me this is 10 dollars well spent.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #365 Matt33, Dec 17, 2016
    I'm surprised people are having trouble with running out of tickets so soon. My problem tonight was having too many tickets...

Maybe people are playing more races than me, but I've clocked in 61 and think that's a fair amount. My favorite thing is getting the special coins in tour mode, but was forced to play rally instead to use up some tickets.

For some annoying reason, they capped the amount of tickets you can have at 99. So if I kept playing and got a set of special coins on a level, my ticket reward wouldn't be added to my tickets.

I've got a steady income of tickets from getting special coins in tour mode, and special items in my kingdom. If you're low on tickets, try your best to get black coins (I just finished getting them all for first 3 worlds, so still plenty more to earn). And then play some races and start gaining toads to meet the requirements to buy special toad houses and ? blocks that will earn you tickets every 8 hours.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think reviews don't get shifted to the sidebar until they're pushed down a certain distance on the front page. So all we can really do is publish some more stories until it appears. It's a weird system but one that we have limited capability to adjust thanks to the issues with the app.

7. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I thought that might be it too, but then I noticed Don't Grind on there and that's dead recent. Anyway, no biggie. Just wanted it to get noticed.

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    And I just tried it... you can also start a level, put it in airplane mode, and play a level restarting as many times as you want. Unfortunately, like you said, once you actually finish the level you'll be forced to reconnect. Entertaining a little. But restarting means you don't keep all those coins. :( At least it can be tricked for a while.

9. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Overall, the game is awesome, great mobile adaptation.

The only thing I dislike is the ticket system. It feels and behaves like a timer/energy system akin to freemium games. Why did Nintendo implement it in the game? Why require tickets that sooner or later (once you complete every level and get most coins) will become harder to get? Why limit players and put a barrier?

My theory is that they are trying to get you used to it because they might add more content involving multiplayer modes (toad rally etc.) in the future and sell consumable IAP (tickets) if you want to play a lot.

10. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #370 Hard_Squirrel, Dec 17, 2016
    Pleasantly surprised with this game as I don't usually like runners, but this is a solid effort. I agree that it does feel a little expensive in comparison to how much content you get with other games (GTA, FF, XCOM etc). But you could argue that they are ports rather than fresh games. And on the other hand, you pay £30 for a new MARIO game on a console. £8 is just over 25% of that and I would say you definitely get 25% of a full console MARIO here, albeit in a more restrictive format.

What's even more entertaining than this game however is people like Metalcasket getting very emotional over people's negative comments. I don't agree with the comments either, but the amazing thing about the internet is that you can walk away when you want. You aren't forced to listen/read. If people want to moan, let them. Whether you agree or not, or think it is too extreme, it is still feedback and who are you to speak on behalf of the developer and assume they don't want to see it?

11. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I think the stop block placement has been pretty solid, they are placed to give you a breather and plan to grab hard-to-reach coins. I've never seen a "trap" one that plunges you into a pit, which one are you taking about? Or does it give you plenty of time to jump just you can't do it properly?

Anyway, the controls are really crisp in my, many of the coins wouldn't be possible to get if the controls were sloppy. The game is consistently praised for its polish, so maybe you're just not good at this kind of game. Totally understandable, there are many casual games that would appeal to all kinds of people, I personally enjoy a challenge but if that's not for you then no one can fault you for that.

Calling Nintendo an amateur is ridiculous. Yes this is their first real attempt at mobile, but they are accepting money so by definition that's a professional approach. Amateurs do not accept money for their participation in a sport.

Nintendo is making tens of millions of dollars with this and the people that like it are very happy. I respect your opinion but much of it could be solved with a little practice.

12. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This!

Our house is really enjoying it, I'm starting to wonder if $10 is "expensive" to most people? This game is great! If you're ignoring rally it's a disservice to the game. IMHO it's half the game! Not just for buying shit to build a dumb castle area. Toad score is king, ha! My 8 year girl is heavily invested on getting a higher score then me #notgoingtohappen :D It's good polished fun and $10 is cheap.

13. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Hahahaha that is so awesome. Goodluck to the both of you!

It's funny coming into this forum and seeing nothing but internet required complaints and such... Good to see some people enjoying it :)

14. rasterzone

rasterzone Active Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Software Engineer
    Michigan, U.S.
    I like it. I'm halfway through. It's not too easy, and it's not Super Meat Boy hard either lol.

15. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

I've been playing rallies loads today and still have over 50 tickets. I think the people running out haven't bought the full game so can't earn more by normal play.

There's a bunch of angry comments on the uk AppStore about the game forcing you to purchase tickets to play, which can be misleading as that's not what the iap is for and makes it look like that people will run out of tickets and have to keep buying them all the time.

There's plenty of valid criticisms about this game and if the AppStore reviews mentioned those as a reason for their ratings it would be fair enough, but almost all of the ones I've read mention how they refuse to pay 7.99 as the levels are too boring, too easy blah blah. If they've found the few levels they've played in the trial too easy they wouldn't be so angry at the price as if boredom is the genuine reason they wouldn't buy even for 99p, it's more like they actually did have fun and want to play the rest but have been spoilt by mobile gaming being so cheap and free that they seem to think they have some kind of entitlement to access all the games content for free.

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    My 11 year old Daughter is doing the same haha. I'm beating her at the moment but in the interest of honesty, I should say I don't have the limitations she does with playtime, she has school, massive amounts of homework and a bedtime, whereas I can play as much as my hearts content. When she breaks up for Christmas break I dont doubt she will overtake me. She still checks regularly to see if she's still ahead of Andy on flappy bird :)

Off topic, they had a school fair last week and one of the stalls had an old Wii set up to play Mario Kart, when she went to pay to enter she was laughed and sneered at. She was the only girl and the boys were giving her shit saying girls are crap at games etc. She ended up playing every single four player game as she came first in every race all the time and the boys didn't want her to be undefeated so kept paying for her to join the next one, even with three of them ganging up to take her out she still beat them... :)

17. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It's the same in the Dutch Appstore, sad sad sad, there are one million games on the Appstore but they piss on this one, and you know why, they freaking love it but won't give in ha ha.

18. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    As a father of two girls, this made me smile. I know it's just a video game but that's a metaphor for life. There's nothing a boy can do that a girl can't do better. #

19. €¥€

€¥€ Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Apologies

So I spent a bit more time with this and it's not as shit as I made it out to be, I think I was hating on it cause my brother and I used to play all the mario games together and he was killed by a drunk driver not to long ago and was looking forward to this as well.
    I now he would have liked competing against me in the rallies.

20. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014

Wow, the last two posts warmed and then broke my heart. Now I have a useless warm, broken heart.