Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally jazzed that Nintendo is back in the App Store. Can't wait to see what else will come of it or how it will raise the level of new releases.

That's all.

2. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    This site has been a religious nightly check-in since I have joined. I started the slow process of a career change because of it. Its been awesome and it still is!

I am just grouchy today. This game has definitely made bathroom breaks at work a blast.

3. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder how many of those reviews are from people who haven't even bought the game to play beyond the first three levels.

Hmm. That brings up a question, actually. When a game is free to download with an IAP to purchase the full game, should the App Store reviews be limited to just those that actually purchased the game? Or perhaps have a way to filter the reviews so it could display only those who purchased the full game? If I want reviews on a game like that, I don't give a crap what people think about the free demo portion. I can just play the demo myself. The only use of reviews to me are to help me decide whether to make a purchase or not.

4. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was totally thinking the same thing going through the reviews today on the App Store. I was wishing that only those who bought the full game should be allowed to leave reviews. Anyway, I bought the game, have no regrets and I'm loving every second of it. I've spent several hours just trying to get those black coins and I'm only on the third level. Thank you Nintendo! I really appreciate the care put into it.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    In a way, that would be great. To only allow purchasers to review it. I really wish we could just have the two app thing back. A lite free version and the paid version. Then many bad reviews about cost could just pull down the lite version! However, those that want the online only connection taken off would still bring down the paid version. But there's probably not that many of us I guess.

6. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Really disappointed with TA's review of this game! There is absolutely no way in hell that this game is worth 3.5 stars.

This is an iOS pleasure to play. Near platformingperfection. It feels a satisfying as the iOS rayman games but with the Nintendo magic sprinkled all over it!

The multiplayer element has been like gaming crack cakes to me and I have experienced nothing like the grind gripes Shaun mentioned about tickets. And, yes it does suck when you lose a match, but does that make the game bad? Do you expect to win every online Fifa match? Or dark souls duel??? Ovbs not, you just strive to get better and get sweet revenge.

Even the over dramatic cries of the always online element are scaremongering! I played on the train with near no signal this week and saw no problems. If 4g disappears, you just finish that level no problem then when it catches a whiff of signal it carries on like nothing was amiss! Even if you lose signal again for a while. Drama over!

Everyone with even half a desire to see premium games survive needs to support this game. Ignore. Just take pocket gamers 9/10 advice on this glorious game instead!

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe some of the bad reviews are cost-related, but surely not all. I don't think bad reviews are going to stop anyone from trying a Mario game on iPhone, though. I think Nintendo would have done just fine releasing it as a pay-only game. It's not like they are some unknown developer that people would be scared to take a chance on.

My son and I downloaded it to his 5th gen iPod. The initial region-picker screen was ridiculous - it could have at least defaulted to US, or made US easier to fine. After brief tutorial, we were hit up with a download screen that took two minutes to complete. The frame rate during gameplay was erratic and jerky. The game crashed twice in ten minutes. We'll try again on an iPhone6 later.

I'd gladly pay $40 for a full Mario game on iPhone.

8. Nightxx

Nightxx Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    The online feature is AI... why in the world am I playing against AI in a multiplayer mode what the #### Nintendo...

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So you're saying you still need a connection to play. Okay...

10. Nightxx

Nightxx Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    The game is good but there's plenty of shit that makes it unappealing to play... for instance the awkward placement of stop blocks near pits, auto jumping -why this even exist ???-, using directional block shenanigans instead of gesture controls to move left or right...

A company like Nintendo becoming an amateur in the field like if the App Store just emerged yesterday... hello, there's freaking 8-9 years of game development in this field with games nearly perfecting touch controls and you come out with this shit ???

11. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    #351 wigzisonfire, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Did you read my comment? I'm not defending the baffling decision to require an internet connection to play.

But TA had made it sound like the game is unplayable unless you are playing at home on Wi-Fi, but that's just not true at all.

Mobile internet connections are fine (3G/4g) and all the game needs is a connection before you start a level. If you lose signal while playing, you won't notice any difference. The only time you'll notice is if you finish the level and still have no signal, at this point you need to wait to get a connection. But honestly, who In this day and age goes more than 3minutes without having signal on their phone. I can even get an internet connection in the London Underground these days.

This is not ideal, but it is far from a problem. I only play my phone on my commute to work on a train to london that goes under endless tunnels, and I have only noticeably lost connection from the game once, for about 2minutes!

No drama

12. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    So about those coins..

Is the max amount of coins you can get in each stage the same for each color tier? Or is it like max amount of coins you can get in any given stage is always in the pink tier? Or black tier? Or does it vary stage to stage, or no one really knows?!:confused:

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    How do you kill Boos? I'm trying to kill them by jumping on them and touching the screen again when on top of them, but I only kill them 10% of the times. What's the exact process? Thanks

14. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I ran a quick test.

5 x tour mode cost me 230kb mobile data.
    5 x rally mode cost me 627kb mobile data.

So for under a mb you could play for your entire commute, even if you live all the way out in zone 6.

You shouldnt to be able to kills boos, they are dead enough already! They are kinda shy though, so will stay still when youre facing them and only follow when youre facing the other way. I dont know how it works with the poor boos that are stuck to platforms though.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    You can defeat Boos by jumping over them when they're not hiding their faces. The easiest way to do it is with a backflip tile, but you can also do it by wall-kicking.

16. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    There is a way to play the game without a connection but it's pretty limited. What you do is start a level... task switch out and turn off the internet connection. Then go back to the game and play the level. Once the level is completed then the game reverts back to the online pop-up boxes.

As I said it's pretty limited.

17. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Damn, the black coin run on level 3-3 is dope. Gotta be my favorite level design thus far. Hope there's lots more like it in the latter half of these levels.

18. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I've just finished the game and I'm thinking to start the re-collection of coins, level by level, after a while; I'm not a fan of it, but since people are saying there's hidden content (which is one reason I've purchased this game in the first place) I'm curious to see how much do I have to play to find those coins that reconfigure the levels.
    It's 2 stars in my country's AppStore, and people are complaining mostly about the lack of a d-pad/free movement and the too-simplistic one-tap controls (which are ok if you give the full game a chance), the price being too high being also a common criticism (I agree that those who didn't purchased the game in the first place shouldn't be able to rate it in AppStore, especially about the price, as if they played the whole game). I've searched impressions about the game and I found that many respectable publications had a lot of criticism against Mario Run. Also most of the professional reviews I've read gave the game 3 and a half stars, and mostly all those reviewers are criticizing exactly the same stuff as TA do, which IMO make the review wrote by mr Shaun unbiased and reflecting the general opinion, that SMR falls in a rather mediocre category of auto-runner games.
    As many others expressed in this forum, I too hope Nintendo will add new worlds/levels soon. This is my last post about SMR and I hope that what I'm writing isn't inflammatory and doesn't upset anyone.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks Shaun. They're difficult to kill, but they have keys and coins inside them which I need :D

20. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I know I mentioned this already, but y'all really should put Shaun's review under Latest Reviews, what with this Mario dude being a sorta underground cult figure and everything.