Universal Super Mario Run (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2016.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Christ Nintendo. This is all you have to do, in 10 easy steps:

1. Release a FULL PREMIUM MARIO game
    2. Not $10 though, maybe like half that.
    3. Must have full on-screen controls, none of this one-tap BS
    4. Actually just do full gamepad support, I know TONS of people with mfi controllers
    5. Must be playable offline in case I'm in one of Elon Musk's spaceships
    6. Must have tons of levels, replay value, polish, extra modes, etc.
    7. Must be less than 200 mb to download, no way I'm deleting Minecraft after paying $7 five years ago
    8. Actually screw all this just port Super Mario 3
    9. And since it's like 80 years old it should probably be like $1.99 tops

10. WATCH THE MONEY ROLL IN

2. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Anyone have any complaints yet

3. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    none that I can see

4. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol. Is it obvious enough that I almost never played mario before, since I just found out that a black coin was hidden in a brick..! I didn't even know there could be something inside.

5. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    At first glance the campaign seems quite short, but the levels change once your start getting the special coins, so the replayability is somewhat hidden.

Ive had an occasional frame rate drop during busy moments in rally mode, which is enough to throw my jump timing off. Im on an 'older' hardware on ipad4.

Other than that, you can pretty much see what youre getting from the demo, so I dont have any real complaints with my purchase.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I find this super adorable.

7. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #327 bilboa, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    I did, but only after it was already out for a day. It was just a regular iOS notification dialog saying the game was out. It came about a day after TA notified me.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I like the game and can't be bothered keeping up with all of the idiotic sh** people keep spewing here.

The only thing that irritates me is the way the rally works, in part with the tickets but then because it's like a pvp competition with trophies when your able to lose the toads. Sometimes I lose the majority of the toads in 1 match which took me multiple games to win.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    It's possible because it's exactly what I did.

I think you might need a diff Nintendo account linked to your wife's game than yours though. We all have different Nintendo ids so that our save files are seperate but we all use my iTunes ID and I've now put it on three devices but only charged once.

10. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Worked fine on my kids' Nintendo account.

Logged in to iTunes under settings with my account. Entered game. Logged in under kids account. Hit the Pay 9.99 button. It asked for password. You gunna buy? Yep. Wait, you get this free! And it assigned it to her account. Logged back out under settings and walked away. Both of us are playing in tandem. No muss, minimal fuss.

11. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    It's sad to see so many negative reviews on the app store simply because Nintendo wants ten bucks for the game.

Super Mario Run is pretty solid for a mobile platformer. It doesn't top the best of the genre available on iOS (Bean's Quest and its sequel) or many of the platformers available on traditional consoles/handhelds, but all three of the modes are fun and polished. Toad Rally is pure crack.

It's smart that Nintendo created a game from the ground up for touch controls instead of porting over SMB3 or some such. It's not just a matter of keeping the virtual console games exclusive to the upcoming Switch. It's also a matter of maintaining the company's reputation. Sure, there are controllers available for iOS, but many (most?) people would play a traditional Mario on iOS using touch controls and that would be an awful experience, especially if it is the first time a person has played the game. Nintendo is thinking long term.

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    This thread is the exact reason I stopped socializing with other gamers.

Almost black coined all of thre worlds up to 5. Unlocked every character but princess. I am having a blast.

13. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    While I agree on some aspects of the review on TA I have to say 3 1/2 stars is too low. I think it's a damn fun game. There is surprising depth to it.

Also it becomes a new game once you lower the volume and play the game while blasting Slipknots song Psychosocial. It lines up perfectly.

Hehe

Billy

14. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    By World 4, I decided to give up on the coin collecting and divert my focus to collecting characters. I beat the game and got Princess Peach. Since I have a crap ton of tickets amassed, I'm gonna try and get enough green and purple toads to buy Luigi's house and unlock Luigi. Let's-a-go!

BTW, some of those coin locations are crazy tricky. I'm thinking it will take me a hundred retries.

15. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I disagree that a traditional Mario would be "awful" using touch controls. There are plenty of games similar to it on mobile that have excellent and responsive controls. Heck, there's platformers that are much more intense and require more precision than a Mario game. So while it may have factored into Nintendo's decision to go with an auto runner, I don't think it's a valid reason.

Anyway, we got what we got and it's enjoyable but I'm pretty much in agreement with Shaun's review overall.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Something to consider with negative reviews on the App Store, App Annie is saying the game has been downloaded 3.5m times, and has 15k one star reviews. That's 0.4% of the people who have downloaded the game that are vocally unhappy with it. Curiously enough, that number compares almost identically to the percentage of people who leave nasty comments on reviews versus the amount of traffic a review will get. 0.4% cranky people on the internet seems... Pretty ok, in the grand scheme of things.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Bummed you feel that way, you're super old school. Maybe the solution to this is we make a special user group for people who want the old TouchArcade back and we can just have a tight-knit really cool secret subforum.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I couldn't resist, got the whole thing. This is MARIO for gods sake. The levels are really well made and have completely new mechanics. I hope Nintendo makes more premium experiences like this for iOS in the future. :):D

19. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I have it through the Japan App Store and it's rated two stars on there
    I have had more time with it and find it to be enjoyable and easily worth the asking price
    Def not a two star game in my opinion

20. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Its 3 star on the NZ app store, with a pretty even split between 1 star reviews and 5 star reviews. The vast majority of 1 star reviews are complaining about a crash after the initial loading screen. Someone here said that was a crash associated with jailbroken devices, but Ive got no idea if thats true.